Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:21 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,383,174 times

Advertisements

Great news for Cary and the surrounding area. More businesses heading this way, along with people and opportunity.

Raleigh tops Forbes list of most-popular metros :: WRAL.com

"HCL is setting up an office in Cary that officials expect to employ 500 people within a few years. Appel said the area's low cost of living also helped the Triangle beat out 19 other locations for the new office.
Atkins said other technology companies also are looking to locate or expand in the area, but he declined to elaborate.
"My feeling is that this market is at the bottom. I think that we are going to see some significant new announcements in growth coming up in probably ... (the) third quarter of this year," he said."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 09:31 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,539,770 times
bitter-sweet. It is good that the economy in Raleigh is fairly strong compared to much of the rest of the country; but still; the area is LOSING net jobs, while GAINING net people at a fairly fast rate. Not a very good combination.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:38 PM

85 posts, read 378,784 times
The new company coming is great news, saw the story on the news. they said that 100 people would be relocating here with that companys move. Bringing their families. While WCPSS has 1,496 part- and full-time employees on contracts that expire at the end of the school year and with budget cuts there is no telling how many of these people will lose their jobs. Our schools become more overcrowded and resources are stretched even thinner. Can't win for losing.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:39 PM

519 posts, read 979,407 times
Cary-Raleigh? I think you have that backwards.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:07 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,711,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
Yeah, that's like calling where I currently live the "Randallstown-Baltimore metro area."

To the point of the article, I sincerely hope that this is true growth and not yet another bubble. We as a nation can't suffer another bubble.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-15-2009 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: flaming

Old 04-15-2009, 09:43 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,730,311 times
Quote:
the area is LOSING net jobs, while GAINING net people at a fairly fast rate. Not a very good combination.

Our schools become more overcrowded and resources are stretched even thinner. Can't win for losing.
Right--when, when, when will people realize that "rapid growth" is not synonymous with "good"? Take a look at Atlanta or the suburbs of DC or LA if you want to see where we're headed.

Last edited by Francois; 04-15-2009 at 10:11 AM..

Old 04-15-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Right--when, when, when will people realize that "growth" is not synonymous with "good"? Take a look at Atlanta or the suburbs of DC or LA if you want to see where we're headed.
My concern is the sprawl. Not everyone who moves to this area now lives in Raleigh, but places like Cary and Knightdale. By the time 540 is done, it will look like 40.

People should not be prevented from moving here, but there should be smart growth that minimizes the strife on our environment.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:21 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,639,077 times
Quote:
Yup, people are moving to Raleigh, and some are buying houses in Cary, Raleigh's biggest neighborhood.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Yup, people are moving to Raleigh, and some are buying houses in Cary, Raleigh's biggest neighborhood.
LOL, I know. I wonder when people will ever think of Raleigh without thinking of Cary first?

Old 04-15-2009, 11:22 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,383,174 times
Quote:
My concern is the sprawl. Not everyone who moves to this area now lives in Raleigh, but places like Cary and Knightdale. By the time 540 is done, it will look like 40.

People should not be prevented from moving here, but there should be smart growth that minimizes the strife on our environment.
I know some people think that everyone should live in the city and use public transportation, but not everyone wants to live that way. Many people want to live in the suburbs, away from the city, but still have many amenities. Other people prefer to be as far away from the city as possible in a more country type setting (I can really see the appeal of this). They don't mind commuting, as they gain more of what they want in their home life. Just because someone may have their view of how everyone should live, doesn't mean they have a right to force someone else to live that way. Last time I checked, this was still partly America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary