Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 07:54 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,382,097 times

Advertisements

More evidence that Cary is producing top notch kids and I don't even like kids. It's just another great thing about Cary. Congratulations to these fine young people.

Cary News | Teens bring energy to volunteering (http://www.carynews.com/news/cary/story/12038.html - broken link)

"Cindi King, adult advisor for Cary Teen Council, said the group is 437 members strong, with students ranging from sixth to 12th grade. “I call them ‘cream of the crop kids,’” she said. “They don’t like sitting around; they expect to work.” King said that while the group has grown quite a bit in the last few years, “we continue to get top-notch kids.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 07:58 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,536,878 times
Yeah...because only teens in Cary volunteer or do community service work. Not in any other towns. Nope.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Yeah...because only teens in Cary volunteer or do community service work. Not in any other towns. Nope.

Rather than yet another useless rant against Cary, I think these kids and this organization deserves applause.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:06 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,030,341 times
I certainly wouldn't go so far as to kids in Cary are the best in the triangle, but I will give kudos to this progrram. The Cary teen council IS a really great program and Cindy King is an awesome teen leader.
My daughter has done a couple fun activities with them and it really did seem to be a fabulous program with a lot of dedicated kids.
I would highly recommend looking into it for Cary area parents with kids in this age range.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:10 PM

280 posts, read 739,151 times
Nice - I didn't know of this group.
btw the reporter messed up the name of the girl in the photo its not Dee Pthi its Deepthi and its her first name.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:06 PM

447 posts, read 1,713,737 times
Trolling headline aside, it is great to see the kids doing good things. Thousands of Wake County kids participate in clubs like Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, 4-H, church groups, Habitat for Humanity, etc. They are all doing great things for the communities they live in. Saying Cary, Wake County, Durham County or any locations kids are better is an injustice to all of the others out there working hard for no money. Make sure to help out these programs by donating your own time, money or other resources to the groups you think are worthy.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I certainly wouldn't go so far as to kids in Cary are the best in the triangle, but I will give kudos to this progrram. The Cary teen council IS a really great program and Cindy King is an awesome teen leader.
My daughter has done a couple fun activities with them and it really did seem to be a fabulous program with a lot of dedicated kids.
I would highly recommend looking into it for Cary area parents with kids in this age range.
lamishra, is this program open to kids outside Cary or Wake County?

FYI - I am not sure how the folks in the south consider it, but in the north when we say you're the best, it does not mean literally better than all others. It is more of a saying of you done good or I really like you.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:39 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,536,878 times
that usage of the word "Best" is used everywhere...but only when it's actually being used like that. You say "you're the best" , "that kid is the best" "driving with the top down on a warm summer night is the best".

You however said " Cary teens are the best in the triangle'; implying that teens in Cary are somehow superior to teens in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Apex, Wake Forest, etc.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:09 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,030,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post

FYI - I am not sure how the folks in the south consider it, but in the north when we say you're the best, it does not mean literally better than all others. It is more of a saying of you done good or I really like you.
I don't know about the actual teen council itself (whether it accepts kids from other areas) but most of the activities my daughter has participated in with the Cary Teen scene allow kids from other areas, it just costs a little more. Like last summer they went white water rafting, and it was open to non-Cary residents but it cost like $10-$15 more. But I *think* the actual teen council may be slightly different than their teen scene activities.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:11 PM

646 posts, read 2,043,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post

You aren't in the North anymore.

There are wonderful volunteer opportunities all over the area for teens and teens all over the area volunteering and doing good things for their community.

Your sainted Cary doesn't have the only good teens in the area by a long shot....heck, there are even great teens doing great things in Durham. Imagine that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary