Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:31 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
In 5-10 years Wake County will be a spitting image of what Fairfax County, VA is now. And for those you that have never been there, no, that isn't a compliment.

"Northern Virginia, including Fairfax County, is the third worst congested traffic area in the nation, in terms of percentage of congested roadways and time spent in traffic. Of the lane miles in the region, 44 percent are rated “F” or worst for congestion. Northern Virginia residents spend an average of 46 hours a year stuck in traffic."
Fairfax County is also the 2nd richest county in America (behind next door neighbor Loudoun County) and (not counting this recession) is one of the best job markets in the country. A well educated workforce with high paying jobs. Wake County should want to emulate Fairfax in many ways, although the traffic does suck. The quality of life in Fairfax is high, just like I believe the quality of life here is high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 08:45 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
and how high is the cost of living in Fairfax County?

Old 03-24-2009, 09:05 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
I've spent some time in Fairfax County. I don't see Wake County turning into Fairfax County in 5-10 years. At the same time I wonder how much bigger Fairfax County will be in 5-10 years?

Old 03-24-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson919 View Post
It's not that difficult to impose limits on development.
Actually it is. It really is. Just go on down to a city of Raleigh planning meeting or a city council meeting. Then let me know if you still think it's not that difficult. The public process is grueling. Attempts to circumvent the public process only result in more angst. The process is difficult.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:17 PM

387 posts, read 1,028,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
In 5-10 years Wake County will be a spitting image of what Fairfax County, VA is now. And for those you that have never been there, no, that isn't a compliment.
No. In 5-10 years Wake County might have as many people as Fairfax County but it is *more than twice as large in area*.

Also, there are roughly 200,000 more jobs in Fairfax County than there are in Wake County. That's 200,000 more jobs than there are in *all* of Wake County, concentrated in an area about half the size.

Also, Fairfax County is located adjacent to Arlington, VA and Washington, DC. These are extremely densely populated areas filled with people that travel to Fairfax County on occasion and filled with jobs that people from Fairfax County travel to on occasion. Wake County is located adjacent to.... Johnston County... Harnett County.... Chatham County....

Also, household income in Fairfax County is about 60 percent higher than Wake County.

So don't worry about 46 hours a year stuck in traffic on I-40.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Actually it is. It really is. Just go on down to a city of Raleigh planning meeting or a city council meeting. Then let me know if you still think it's not that difficult. The public process is grueling. Attempts to circumvent the public process only result in more angst. The process is difficult.
I think you and I have different definitions of "not that difficult".

Old 03-24-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson919 View Post
I think you and I have different definitions of "not that difficult".

I think so! I work with some people who have been working almost everyday for the better part of 6 years now on trying to put certain restrictions on development in a particular part of the triangle. It is tied up in the NC General Assembly right now and may very well never see the light of day. Even if it makes it through the legislature there are 2-3 more years of hurdles to jump through and countless city council meetings for years to come. In my mind that = difficult.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I think so! I work with some people who have been working almost everyday for the better part of 6 years now on trying to put certain restrictions on development in a particular part of the triangle. It is tied up in the NC General Assembly right now and may very well never see the light of day. Even if it makes it through the legislature there are 2-3 more years of hurdles to jump through and countless city council meetings for years to come. In my mind that = difficult.
Is it? Ten years of work on the part of a small but dedicated group of people so that land that has been undisturbed for millenniums will continue undisturbed for perpetuity. Compare their work to the level of production that occurs in the Triangle over a ten year period. It is an extremely small proportion.

Let's see... What's a way to describe a task that is noteworthy, but that was achieved with a relatively small amount of effort? Hmmmm......

Old 03-24-2009, 11:33 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
I've spent some time in Fairfax County. I don't see Wake County turning into Fairfax County in 5-10 years. At the same time I wonder how much bigger Fairfax County will be in 5-10 years?
I agree. There are parts of Fairfax County that feel like parts of Wake County. Mostly those are the areas that are recently developed in the cookier cutter national builder model straight from the pages of generic home magazines and HGTV. There are certainly other similarities in our populaces in terms of careers, lifestyles, etc. for many but not all. Plus, Fairfax County is completely a suburban county with no "one" central city in it. It's a collection of burbs...sort of like Cary, over and over and over again. At least that's my take on it.
In 5-10 years, I think Wake County will continue to feel like Wake County, only more populated and urban. Its older areas will see increasing amounts or infill development. The urban core will continue to grow and its edges will continue to expand. While I'd prefer the edges to grow more slowlyand smartly, I don't expect that to happen.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:21 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,240 times
Default reply

I hope that Wake County never resembles Fairfax county. Fairfax County is one gross, disgusting anywhere USA burb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary