U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 03:45 PM

5 posts, read 45,832 times

Advertisements

I am a nurse considering moving to NC from Canada. I have been looking EVERYWHERE on the internet and cannot determine how much nurses in NC make! Can anyone help? I am an ICU nurse with about 5 years of experience. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 07:31 PM

36 posts, read 194,617 times
Typically in the hospital RN 1 $40000 - RN 3 $60000 plus all the OT you want.
Good luck.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:48 AM

43 posts, read 227,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heretostay View Post
Typically in the hospital RN 1 $40000 - RN 3 $60000 plus all the OT you want.
Good luck.
Where would a BSN rate?
Oncology

Old 03-26-2007, 12:05 PM

3,572 posts, read 9,503,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian in NC? View Post
I am a nurse considering moving to NC from Canada. I have been looking EVERYWHERE on the internet and cannot determine how much nurses in NC make! Can anyone help? I am an ICU nurse with about 5 years of experience. Thanks
You need to go to the board of nursing website first to determine what you must do to work as a RN here.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:07 PM

106 posts, read 515,639 times
Definitely try www.allnurses.com for more specific information.

My wife is just an LPN and is making $16/hour at an OBGYN. She could easily pull $23/hour at a Nursing Home + overtime, but she wants a "9 to 5" weekday only schedule like myself, so she never has to work weekends. RNs at her office make somewhere in the $20s, I believe.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:43 AM

41 posts, read 242,973 times
It depends on where you work. Duke pays the least, with Wake Med paying the most in the triangle. This is for full time, permanent staff. I would suggest looking into taking a travel contract as they pay MUCH better, usually with a bonus and they pay your housing (or give you a free apt). There are also great options for internal hospital traveller or per diem staff. All of these options provide great benefits and 401K plans, with much better salaries than the permanent staff for the most part. I moved here from Canada 6 years ago, and after working permanent for 3 years, learned that if I wanted to actually make a decent living, I would be better off working full time per diem or traveller, which is what I still do, and I will NEVER go back to working permanent full time anywhere. There are just too many other better options out there. You can easily make 80-100K (or more) a year at it...PM me if you need more info as I know it can be tough and confusing to make decisions. You will have absolutely no trouble finding a job!

Old 03-28-2007, 09:13 AM

36 posts, read 194,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin HW Engineer View Post
Where would a BSN rate?
Oncology

Same as ADN, Just a quicker route to management and other opportunities.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:39 PM

7 posts, read 47,671 times
hey there! im a canadian nurse too, 5 years experience critical care. im relocating to raleigh and i'm going thru american mobile for travel nursing. what i found out is that duke pays the least at 24$ an hour (remember that you get free housing plus plus plus on top of that wage) and rex pays the most at 28$ an hour. the others fall somewhere in between

hope this helps!

aimee

Old 03-28-2007, 06:20 PM

5 posts, read 45,832 times
Thanks so much for all the info. I'm kind of surprised that the wages are not higher. I always hear about how much nurses in the states make, but it seems as though it's comparable, if not less, than we make up here in Canada! Travel/per diem nursing seems like the best option.
Thanks again

"You need to go to the board of nursing website first to determine what you must do to work as a RN here."
And yes, mm_mary73, or course I know I have to go through the board, but they don't say anywhere how much nurses make there either!

Old 03-28-2007, 06:32 PM

7 posts, read 47,671 times
yeah, im a nurse from ontario but i work at a hospital in the states. 5 years ago i was laughing all the way to the bank with the exchange rate being so high...but since its come down, its really not worth it anymore. i make 28$ american per hour, which isnt bad at all, i have 5 years experience. how is it for you?

aimee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary