Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:11 AM

39 posts, read 106,505 times

Advertisements

living in cary,commuting is such a pain.The roads are very poorly planned.the way I40,US-1/64 or 540 link with Cary is also pretty abject.I dont see that improving either which is a sad truth.Is there any plans to make this better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 07:22 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,282 times
They will be repaving Cary Parkway soon, which really, really needs it.

We live in the western part of Cary and the road system is laid out great. Commuting is a breeze and things flow smoothly. If I was commuting to RTP, I would prefer not to live on the east side, as then you may have to deal with I-40 traffic. That seems to be the standard that everyone holds up for Cary traffic, when in fact it is only a part of the real situation. There are many places to live in Cary that offer easy commuting options.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:13 AM

360 posts, read 995,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
They will be repaving Cary Parkway soon, which really, really needs it.

We live in the western part of Cary and the road system is laid out great. Commuting is a breeze and things flow smoothly. If I was commuting to RTP, I would prefer not to live on the east side, as then you may have to deal with I-40 traffic. That seems to be the standard that everyone holds up for Cary traffic, when in fact it is only a part of the real situation. There are many places to live in Cary that offer easy commuting options.
I agree 100%, I live in west Cary and there are so many ways to get around, and rarely do I run into any traffic, the only place that has consistent rush hour traffic is Chapel Hill Rd coming from Morrisville, but luckily I never have to go that way.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
I agree 100%, I live in west Cary and there are so many ways to get around, and rarely do I run into any traffic, the only place that has consistent rush hour traffic is Chapel Hill Rd coming from Morrisville, but luckily I never have to go that way.

Yep. That's why I have no tolerance for the blanket statements tossed out there about Cary. So many people think I-40 is a Cary road and that it is the only way to get around. We NEVER use it. There is no need to. Driving around here is a peaceful and a piece of cake. Cary is BIG. There is more than one section to Cary. Outsiders may not know this.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:15 AM

360 posts, read 995,601 times
Quote:
Yep. That's why I have no tolerance for the blanket statements tossed out there about Cary. So many people think I-40 is a Cary road and that it is the only way to get around. We NEVER use it. There is no need to. Driving around here is a peaceful and a piece of cake. Cary is BIG. There is more than one section to Cary. Outsiders may not know this.
I think the reason for this is when most people come from out of town they are going to the Crossroads area, and I'll admit that place is a zoo, I rarely go there. It's funny, I've been living here for several years and every time I go to leave Crossroads I try to get back on Walnut street, but inevitably lose my bearings and end up on that road that dumps you onto 40

Old 03-22-2009, 12:27 PM

147 posts, read 427,587 times
Charlton when I saw the post about the Cary road conditions I had to take a peek. I knew you wouldn't stand for any comments that cast a negative light on the promise land. LOL

Old 03-22-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjchess View Post
Charlton when I saw the post about the Cary road conditions I had to take a peek. I knew you wouldn't stand for any comments that cast a negative light on the promise land. LOL

I am only against a blanket statement that ALL of Cary is traffic congested or has poorly planned roads. I have previously posted that the Crossroads section of Cary is simply a bad joke. I have also posted that downtown Cary was never meant to handle to kind of traffic that is there. I am just keeping it real, as the majority of Cary is laid out pretty darn good and the western part of Cary in particular is a breeze.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I think Cary'ites are used to living here for years that they dont know how civilizations have planned roads.For me to go from crossroads to morrisville,will take a lifetime with the way its structured!And dont get me started on Maynard loop! My complaint is not traffic but the way it is planned to handle traffic.detroit is a city people like to slam and even its road are so nicely planned. take a look at this link

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=12+Mile+Rd,+n ovi++Michigan&sll=43.659179,-85.434494&sspn=0.107548,0.302467&g=12+Mile+Rd,+Mic higan&ie=UTF8&ll=42.502605,-83.547421&spn=0.054799,0.151234&z=13&iwloc=addr

Old 03-22-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I am only against a blanket statement that ALL of Cary is traffic congested or has poorly planned roads. I have previously posted that the Crossroads section of Cary is simply a bad joke. I have also posted that downtown Cary was never meant to handle to kind of traffic that is there. I am just keeping it real, as the majority of Cary is laid out pretty darn good and the western part of Cary in particular is a breeze.
Try going from Sams club@harrison to Trader Joes@Kildaire farm.Never faced traffic, but jeez somebody needs planning tuition.Most cities have a structure to their roads and you can easily hop into a freeway and get out of it and vice versa..

Old 03-22-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewldude View Post
Most cities have a structure to their roads and you can easily hop into a freeway and get out of it and vice versa..
You can certainly hop on I-40 if you want to, but I hate that road. I much prefer the double lane road and loops with side shoots that exist in much of Cary. There are dozens of cut across roads to bypass the loops if you prefer. It is so pleasant to drive along the tree lined roads with beautiful medians.

It sounds like you prefer the billboard filled, overpass after overpass setup of places like Detroit that you mentioned. That is the last thing I want to see here. Do they even need them anymore in Detroit, as everyone has left town?

FYI - I hate grids. They don't work. All it does is make gridlock at endless intersections. See Chapel Hill and many sections of Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary