Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 03:31 AM

9 posts, read 15,839 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I’m new to the City-Data forum and I’ve really enjoyed reading the helpful information from so many of you during the past few weeks. Thank you.

I am planning a trip to the triangle area in late April to see the area for the first time. I'm in the early stages of moving to North Carolina (moving in 2010).
I’d like to build a new home and would appreciate any advice and thoughts on neighborhoods and locations that is best suitable for my home plan below.
I am very open to many areas and would like to build on a 1/3 to ½ acre lot that offers a safe neighborhood, community pool and home town charm.

My price range is $325,000.00-$350,000.00 (including land). The home I’d like to build is shown below and is from Frank Betz Associates: the LINDENHURST model...
www.frankbetz.com/homeplans/plan_info.html?pn=3695

Here's an example of some surrounding homes I like to be near (HOME's 1, 6 and 7 below are great example's of what I have in mind) for my next neighborhood.
www.city-data.com/forum/raleigh-durham-chapel-hill-cary/49822-finally-moved-into-weycroft-cary-pictures.html

Advice is welcomed and greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by Clarity; 03-24-2009 at 04:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 06:56 AM

451 posts, read 1,649,201 times
I can't really help you much, but there's a flaw in your logic. If you can explain, then it may help others help you.

1. How much will it cost to build that house?
2. That leaves $xxx for a lot.
3. The question now is: Where can I find a nice 1/2 acre lot for $xxx?
4. The homes that you want to live by are most likely in the $500K and up range.
5. The problem with the above, is that many areas that have a "community" and buildable lots have restrictions (ARBs) on the home to be built, and a small ~$200K (just a guess) house probably won't be approved.
6. Not to be rude, but it looks like you want caviar on a BigMac budget.

Best to get in touch with a local realtor.

This is a great area and place to live. Plan plenty of time to explore the area. A quick, cursory glance of the area would set aside one day each for Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh, Wake Forest and Cary. Two days for Raleigh if you want to look south of there. Once you get the city/area pinpointed, it takes another 2 days to explore it in more detail. One of these areas will grab your attention, for whatever reason. Best of luck!

Old 03-24-2009, 07:09 AM

43,031 posts, read 76,548,777 times
It is an interesting challenge you pose!

The homes you compare to in Weycroft have a starting price point well over $525,000, and average over $600,000.
In many neighborhoods, architectural protective covenants will require plan approval and many will dictate that you must build a home over 2500SF for a two story, so that your home is in keeping with the neighborhood value range. The 1800 SF home you wish to build may not be accepted in some neighborhoods since it is smaller.

Are you fixed on Wake County, or would you consider other Triangle counties, or outlying counties?

Old 03-24-2009, 07:20 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,677,439 times
Check out Averette Ridge in Wake Forest. They have 1/3 acre lots, and I think you could stay in your price range with that home.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:25 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,320,860 times
Let starts with 'points' as you requested.
Point(s):
1. Your home can be found in all 'points' within the greater triangle areas.
2. Your price 'point' is low for what your 'line' of price is 'period'. Your greatest
chance to find what your want would be IMHO outside the Greater Triangle area.
3. Of the houses you show as an example all 'point' to, as MikeJ stated > $500k.
4. One 'point' you could look for is in Northern Wake County, southern Granville and
Western Franklin Counties. Just to make a few 'points' about those areas.
Your lot is typically >0.75 acre as you need a Septic on your property. There are
many many subdivisions in that area. Check out Silo Glen, Traylee, Princeton
Manor and all 'points' surrounding those areas.
5. If your willing to compromise some of your 'points' I'm sure you will find exactly
what you are looking for and will put a real 'explanation' mark on your move!

Good luck!

Old 03-24-2009, 07:31 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,648,276 times
That will be quite a challenge. You are wanting to build a custom home. In the price range you are suggesting, most likely it will be in the out laying areas of Raleigh & Cary. I find the best way of getting information you are seeking is to get with a builder first. They will look over the plans to see if that is even a possibility. After conversing with you, sometimes builder's have lots in pocket areas that may fit, sometimes not. They sometimes will look or know of another builder's lot and may make deals that way - depending on how serious you are. With the requirements you are looking for in a subdivision, most subdivisions require you to use their builder and their plans... unless they are at the end of the development of the subdivision and they just want to close it out - then you might be able to use your own builder but that is not the norm. The only development that I can think of that might fit would be Brighton Forest. They build a more custom home and have more of what I think you might like, however the timeframe may be a problem along with the price point.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:38 PM

Thank you for all the kind hearted advice.

Please allow me to clarify and explain my situation in greater detail…

As I have already mentioned, I will be visiting the area next month for the first time.
I agree with you, Bilirubin, in regard to setting aside ample time and explore as much as possible.
My brother and his wife built a new home in Chapel Hill last June and I realize this area is obviously out of my price range. I understand that.
I’m sorry if I came across of having caviar taste on a BigMac budget.

The homes (in photos 1, 6 and 7) I was comparing had nothing to do with price; however, were merely comparisons of the architectural style to my design plan of the Lindenhurst.
www.city-data.com/forum/raleigh-durham-chapel-hill-cary/49822-finally-moved-into-weycroft-cary-pictures.html

Please keep in mind, it is difficult (from my perspective) to find a neighborhood and location from behind the computer without knowing the area.
I am sincerely seeking valuable information from you (before my arrival) to help narrow my search.
I am looking for suggestions of some good areas in or around the triangle that may offer similar style homes and/or buildable lots.

Criteria:
  • Build the Lindenhurst (Home is actually 2,200 Sq. Ft. w/ Gathering Space)
  • Construction Cost: 280,000.00 estimate
  • Land/Lot 70,000.00 estimate
  • Areas In/Around the Triangle
  • Reasonable Taxes / HOA
I truly appreciate your advice, honesty and general knowledge of the area!

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
LAND and/or SUB DIV LOCATIONs - Please Point Me in the Right Direction!-zzz-lindenhurst-added-sun-rm-porch  

Last edited by Clarity; 03-24-2009 at 08:48 PM..

Old 03-24-2009, 09:29 PM

25 posts, read 55,151 times
You absolutely cannot do this on your own particularly when you don't know the area. Get an Agent to help you! Send an email and I'll be glad to give you some suggestions or shoot a message to any of them on here. I don't know with your requirements how you can do this without some guidance.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashamae2002 View Post
You absolutely cannot do this on your own particularly when you don't know the area. Get an Agent to help you! Send an email and I'll be glad to give you some suggestions or shoot a message to any of them on here. I don't know with your requirements how you can do this without some guidance.
Sashamae, Thanks. I do plan to work with an agent later down the road.

In the meantime, I am looking for some advice on towns and neighborhoods.

If you suggested "The Grande at Princeton Meadows" for example, I would research that community on the web and possibly put it on the list for my visit in April. - Thanks.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:57 AM

Last night I found two nice looking neighborhoods on the internet.

Can someone please tell me something about Heritage homes in Wake Forrest and the Avertte Ridge community in Rolesville, NC?

http://heritagewakeforest.com//neighborhoods/index.cfm?nid=39&nav=1&ntid=1

http://www.averetteridge.com/lots/102.html

Thanks.

Last edited by Clarity; 03-25-2009 at 04:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary