Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:34 AM

134 posts, read 549,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
We need a really good realtor since we will be brand new to the area. Anyone have any recommendations? We need someone who is hard working, patient, not looking for a “quick” sale, and most importantly knows the area well (esp Cary/Holly Springs and N. Raleigh). Ideally, we want a realtor with lots of custom home building experience that will look out for our best interests and knows how to negotiate well.
When you interview agents....

Make sure the agent is going to be there through the whole process. Our agent (un-announced to us) left town the day before the closing and was not there for the walk through.

Make sure you DO do an inspection.

Make sure you do NOT use the inspector the real estate agent recommends! Twice we tried using the recommended inspector.... both were "in bed" with the agent and glazed over all sorts of goodies.

Do NOT use the agent recommended mortgage guy! We saved ourselves THOUSANDS by getting our own!

Get EVERYTHING in writing! Do not trust the agent to be truthful or accept that "it is always done this way"

You do NOT need a buying agent! You can go with just an attourney (which you need anyways at closing)

Make sure that all keys and garage door openers will be at closing. Two months later and we are still waiiting! (yes they told us they would all be there)

Once the deal is signed, the deal is done. The selling agent, the buyer and the buyers BROTHER are still coming back to us for stuff "they forgot".

What agents will tell you:
"This will be the easiest transaction you will ever have"
"We know the area you are looking at."
"We want you for a long term client"
"Our mortgage guy will get you the best deal".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 01:20 PM

29 posts, read 98,099 times
Amy Rogers from Fonville Morrisey was fantastic. Not pushy but really works for the buyer. If you need her info, I can get it for you.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:26 PM

71 posts, read 79,276 times
I had a great realtor when I bought my north Raleigh home this year. We weren't buying a very expensive house at all but she worked for us like we were buying a $500K+ home. And when things got rough, she went above & beyond the call of duty to straighten things out.

Here is her info:

STELLA KILLIAN Moderator cut: realtor website
I would recommend her HIGHLY.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:10 PM

142 posts, read 520,863 times
Rebekah Moorehead of Coldwell Banker - Howard, Perry and Walston.

My husband and I just got home today from a trip to NC to scope out the area and some homes. Rebekah spent 2 full days with us - she was amazing! We saw some great areas and tons of houses! She was very knowledgeable and helpful. I can't put into words how pleased we were with her and can't wait to make the move down there. We would recommend her to everyone!!!!!

Old 05-09-2007, 09:51 PM

56 posts, read 333,556 times
Default mike J from this forum

................helped us find a rental, not easy with 3 dogs and wanting a six month lease. Don't know if he was compensated for this or not, but he spent a day and a half with us. We get daily MLS reports on the areas that interest us generated by Mike. We keep changing our minds and he keeps sending listings! Know we will find the right place to be eventually, too many choices!

Old 05-10-2007, 06:39 AM

34 posts, read 94,095 times
Vicki Robinson with Fonville Morrisey is who I definitely would recommend. We are currently using her in our relatocation to NC. We love her. Very personal and yet very professional.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:04 AM

71 posts, read 79,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
You do NOT need a buying agent! You can go with just an attourney (which you need anyways at closing)
You don't need one, but I can't imagine NOT using one. They do make life so much easier and earn their keep if you get a good one.

The one thing I always insist on though is that the agent only represents ME. I will not look at any homes that are being sold by the agent or the agent's agency.

Quote:
Once the deal is signed, the deal is done. The selling agent, the buyer and the buyers BROTHER are still coming back to us for stuff "they forgot".
That's why anything that you don't want gets tossed in the dumpster or Freecycled before your moving truck arrives with boxes and furniture.

As far as the mortgage goes, with the new house, I shopped around for the best rates. The realtor referred me to someone else who did better but turned out to be a TOTAL flake and a couple of weeks before closing he told me he can no longer stand behind the GFE and has to completely re-do my paperwork, at MUCH higher rates. I held the agent's feet to the fire since it was her guy and she quickly came up with an alternative who beat all of the previous mortgage offers I was able to get on my own or through her original guy.

If you get a good agent, you're not necessarily dealing with a scumbag. If I had to do it all over again, I would do it the same way.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:25 AM

653 posts, read 2,987,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad77 View Post
Rebekah Moorehead of Coldwell Banker - Howard, Perry and Walston.

My husband and I just got home today from a trip to NC to scope out the area and some homes. Rebekah spent 2 full days with us - she was amazing! We saw some great areas and tons of houses! She was very knowledgeable and helpful. I can't put into words how pleased we were with her and can't wait to make the move down there. We would recommend her to everyone!!!!!
Thanks so much! I had a great time showing you around, and I'm looking forward to helping you move forward when the time comes - glad you made it home safely!
~Rebekah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary