Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:52 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,730,065 times

Advertisements

I know test scores are often looked at when assessing public schools in the Triangle. My 3rd grader brought home the NC Practice and Test Prep booklet for the EOG. It contains 2 EOG Practice Tests. I thought you might like to read some of the questions that goes into those scores. Here are a couple of my favorites. My comments are beside the **.

1) The pumpkin farm sold 214 pumpkins Saturday. On Sunday they sold 287 pumpkins. About how many pumpkins did the farm sell in the two days?
a) less than 300
b) between 300 and 400
c) between 400 and 500
d) more than 500

**214+287 = 501. But they said about, so do you estimate or do you just add ? Depending on the answer for "about" it could either be c or d. There are many of these "about" questions. But isn't math about precision not "about" which seems like guessing???

2)Barbara read 19 pages in the morning and 23 pages in the evening. Use mental math to find out how many pages she read that day.
a) 40
b) 41
c) 42
d) 43

**Ok what's mental math. I know how to do the 4 functions in my head .... is that mental math?

3) Decide if an exact answer is needed or if an estimate is enough. Then solve.

Luann is having a birthday party. She is making party bags for 14 girls and 12 boys. How many party bags does she need to make.

a. estimate, about 30 bags
b. estimate about 25 bags
c. exact answer 26
d. exact answer 28

** Ok, EVERY mom out there knows there is always one kid who ends up bringing a sibling or cousin, so you can't just add the boys and girls to get 26. That's not going to be enough bags! Plus you've got to have one for the birthday kid too. So you're going to need at least 30. But in fact the answer according to the EOG is "c. exact answer 26". These people know nothing about giving birthday parties!!

4) Which of these statements describes an unlikely event?
a) You will eat lunch today.
b) You will grow taller.
c) You will grow wings and fly.
d.) You will read a book.

** First of all what does this have to do with math. It's in the Math EOG book... not the reading, which I haven't seen. And dang on it, these people are limiting my kids by telling them they can't grow wings and fly! Thank goodness the Wright Brothers didn't believe their EOG tests.

Of course the questions involving metrics I had to look up. I remember learning metrics in 3rd grade, using it some in college science labs. But I just used the charts on my PeeChees for conversions.

I wish I could include the questions that involve charts. Some of them are really humorous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 10:08 PM

646 posts, read 2,044,204 times
Have you bothered to read your child's text book this entire year? They were taught how to estimate to answer that first question. It's not just guessing, though it is not something I was taught in school ages ago.

The other questions are all covered as well. So what exactly is your point? Should not the EOG cover what they've been working on during the year?

Old 03-25-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
Have you bothered to read your child's text book this entire year? They were taught how to estimate to answer that first question. It's not just guessing, though it is not something I was taught in school ages ago.

The other questions are all covered as well. So what exactly is your point? Should not the EOG cover what they've been working on during the year?
Gees! Lighten up! Of course the EOG should cover what they've been working on during the year. My child doesn't have a text book so no I haven't read his text book. And yes, he was taught estimating and gets it. I however was not taught estimating years ago or the "about" concept and see math as more black and white. I just found the questions funny... or my answers on them as humorous. My son understood these concepts and got them right. I however, found some them to have more than one answer. This post was just meant for entertainment here.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:21 PM

464 posts, read 1,040,555 times
Well thank you for this. It does indeed shed some light on the reason for some possible low scores on these.

Since I am new to the area can I ask what the heck good these tests are and who on God's earth came up with them? Sounds like someone needed to justify a government job when they came up with these questions.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:29 PM

646 posts, read 2,044,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Gees! Lighten up! Of course the EOG should cover what they've been working on during the year. My child doesn't have a text book so no I haven't read his text book. And yes, he was taught estimating and gets it. I however was not taught estimating years ago or the "about" concept and see math as more black and white. I just found the questions funny... or my answers on them as humorous. My son understood these concepts and got them right. I however, found some them to have more than one answer. This post was just meant for entertainment here.
Your child doesn't have a text book? Really...not a book at all?

And if you were trying to be humorous, you failed, because you already have two people who took you at face value and one that obviously doesn't have a child in current math classes making really silly comments about why our test scores are low and it's just to keep government officials in jobs.

So that was what you wanted to achieve? Good show! Personally, I'd prefer actually criticisms to the curriculum and ways to improve it. Not whining that kids are taught something that wasn't' so common in years past.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:36 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,204,634 times
That is some weird stuff PDX mom.

I agree the "About" comment is really confusing. I have no idea what they mean by "Mental Math". What other kind of math is there?

Old 03-25-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
Your child doesn't have a text book? Really...not a book at all?

And if you were trying to be humorous, you failed, because you already have two people who took you at face value and one that obviously doesn't have a child in current math classes making really silly comments about why our test scores are low and it's just to keep government officials in jobs.

So that was what you wanted to achieve? Good show! Personally, I'd prefer actually criticisms to the curriculum and ways to improve it. Not whining that kids are taught something that wasn't' so common in years past.
What??? how was I whining? I was just merely pointing out that I was taught something differently than my child. Ok, I failed at the humor thing. But why the personal attack? And how is it my fault that the other poster linked low test scores w/ someone trying to keep their government job???

And no my child does not have a math book that I have seen him bring home or use at school.

It's unfortunate that my post some how offended you. But get over it.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
have no idea what they mean by "Mental Math". What other kind of math is there?
Right now I'm wondering what other type of "mental" this thread is veering into.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:21 PM

26 posts, read 78,986 times
I don't think the OP is pointing fingers at anyone. She was just amused.

I am most confused by this: "3) Decide if an exact answer is needed or if an estimate is enough. Then solve.". Do they want children to estimate or not? If to estimate is acceptable, then 25 is pretty good an estimate ...

Or they are saying estimating head count for a party is a really bad idea, as you can't afford to under-estimate and upset your friends. But then I would argue "a" is a good answer, as you have some buffer space there. So it's old math + mental math + social math + emotional math ...

Old 03-25-2009, 11:42 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,038,954 times
I 100% agree with PDXmom! The good news is that WCPSS is dumping the utterly ridiculous Trailblazers math curriculum next year! And she is right..there is NO math textbook that comes home. EVER!!!
Teaching estimation is great, but teaching preciseness with math is even more important. 1+1 should not equal between 0 and 5. Try that when doing your taxes or balancing your checkbook!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary