Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 03:27 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,611,568 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's something you'll see a dollar for dollar return on. I'd also be really careful about whatever materials are used - I also have a tile shower in my master bath that has leaked in the past (before I bought the house). I'm afraid to use it so at some point I'm going to need to have it redone. I don't think I'll have the floor of the shower itself made of tile. I'd prefer some sort of solid material - easier to keep clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 06:39 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,304,102 times
We put a tile walk-in shower (no door) in our master bath, and love it. Neither of us take baths, only showers, so a bathtub was useless to us - especially a big garden tub. I say go for it - and if you're so inclined, take it a step further and get a vertical spa. They're wonderful.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:44 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,097,281 times
I honestly don't think you'll see much of a return on your investment for the shower, except that you're house would stand out from otherwise comparable listings. Fiberglass showers seem to be expected in homes all the way up to the upper-$300s around here, so I can't imagine paying a premium for one in a house at your pricepoint. FWIW, I gave some consideration to doing this in my last house and decided against it b/c I didn't think it was worth it given the price point in the low $300s.

OK, so that's all the investment-type advice. The more important thing to consider is this...what do you want? If you want a tile shower and it only costs $1200 more to do it, then go for it. It's not as if it would make your home less marketable should you need to sell.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:49 AM

8,583 posts, read 15,999,003 times
I would get him to knock off a few hundred dollars and tile it all.

Bathrooms and kitchens make a big impression when selling and it might help you beat out the competition.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:41 AM

600 posts, read 3,447,357 times
The tile floor is more important as a visual cue than the shower. You won't get the money back on the shower tear out/install, but the floor will get you a lot of nods. If your shower is in good shape, clean, not dulled down, etc., just leave it in there.

Here's the exception: If you are planning to create a "custom" shower, with accent bands, large format stone-look tiles, or jeweled glass type accents, etc., then you will get your money back and it'll help sell the house. But if you're limited to 6x6 0r 4x4 bright/matte standard (boring) bathroom tiles, then save your money.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Old 03-27-2009, 06:56 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,476,231 times
if you have the extra cash and go with tile and I would consider that shower that advertise on tv.

With the multiple shower heads and some are in the ceiling . That my dream shower
KOHLER: Custom Showering: Body Sprays: Showers: Bathroom

oh my water bill be crazy though

Old 03-27-2009, 07:38 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,304,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
if you have the extra cash and go with tile and I would consider that shower that advertise on tv.

With the multiple shower heads and some are in the ceiling . That my dream shower
KOHLER: Custom Showering: Body Sprays: Showers: Bathroom

oh my water bill be crazy though
That's what I meant by vertical spa. We have one with a single overhead, a handheld, and four from the wall. It's indeed wonderful. As for the water bill, fortunately we are on well water.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:52 PM

240 posts, read 1,179,226 times
To spend your money wisely, it is best to "do it all" (tile floor, tile walls, new shower valve and shower head, soap and shampoo niches, etc.) or "do nothing". Yes, you probably will not "get" your money back on re-sale and yes your house will present a little nicer to a prospective buyer. But, you should also consider the enjoyment YOU will receive while you get to use a beautiful, functional feature of your home.

Don't forget to insist that your tile setter include sealing the tile and grout with premium "Bulletproof" brand sealer. You will be glad that you did!

Old 03-29-2009, 04:38 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,999,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Trent Hicks View Post
To spend your money wisely, it is best to "do it all" (tile floor, tile walls, new shower valve and shower head, soap and shampoo niches, etc.) or "do nothing". Yes, you probably will not "get" your money back on re-sale and yes your house will present a little nicer to a prospective buyer. But, you should also consider the enjoyment YOU will receive while you get to use a beautiful, functional feature of your home.

Don't forget to insist that your tile setter include sealing the tile and grout with premium "Bulletproof" brand sealer. You will be glad that you did!
Do you have someone you recommend ? We want an estimate to replace all the old tile in 2 full baths ,1/2 bath, and a hallway. Thanks for the sealer advice.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:01 PM

757 posts, read 2,081,536 times
It's Tommy Tile and he is a retired contractor that is fully licensed and insured. Moved to RTP for retirement and now wants to do this on the side. He has 20 plus years of experience. VERY low cost. Only charging us $200 labor for our Master bathroom...we supply tile. He does all the work instead of hiring subcontracters. His number is 919-943-8823
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary