Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:41 PM

75 posts, read 233,633 times

Advertisements

Two months ago, I encourage her that we should check Raleigh out, but her face tells its whole story. Like she don't want to come up there to check anything out and she believes that city is VERY much like NYC.

How can I convince her that it is not like NYC?

I wanna to live there one day, but she's serious thinking about going to live in Greenville, my message to her was LOUD and CLEAR about this, I don't want to live in Greenville at all. That's why I tried to convince her that we should starts somewhere more peaceful.

Right now, our eyes are locked onto this town of Wilson. Not too sure about it, but I do hope that we will end up live in the triangle area soon. What town should we starts to looking into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 05:44 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
She's right. People often confuse the two.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:55 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
My thoughts:

Raleigh is nothing like NYC.

You can live within Raleigh and be nowhere near anything that resembles a city unless you choose to live downtown. Much of Raleigh is very suburban.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:19 PM

159 posts, read 608,920 times
You'll not find the promised land until you first find a job. Let a job or better job prospects lead you to where you need to be.

BTW, you could move grandma to parts of Raleigh where she'd never know she'd left eastern NC.

And I'm not too sure that Raleigh would be more peaceful than Greenville. Size difference alone dictates a different scale of "peace."

Old 03-26-2009, 06:37 PM

75 posts, read 233,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperanza27713 View Post
You'll not find the promised land until you first find a job. Let a job or better job prospects lead you to where you need to be.

BTW, you could move grandma to parts of Raleigh where she'd never know she'd left eastern NC.

And I'm not too sure that Raleigh would be more peaceful than Greenville. Size difference alone dictates a different scale of "peace."
Huh? You're making this sounds like my grandma is SUPER old, but she is not. She's only in her 50's now. Speaking of that, my grandma has already got job, but looking to relocating to another part of North Carolina.

My best bet is Raleigh or Wilson, Garner. Not too sure about that.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:27 PM

997 posts, read 4,645,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
My thoughts:

Raleigh is nothing like NYC.

You can live within Raleigh and be nowhere near anything that resembles a city unless you choose to live downtown. Much of Raleigh is very suburban.
Agree totally. Even though downtown is as close as you will get, it is still YEARS and YEARS behind NYC.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:24 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
NYC = Raleigh, NC. (NOT!) Before 1642 they looked like each other. After that point NYC went vertical and Raleigh well stayed Southern Pine-able. Speed up the clock to 2009 and the two look the same as Los Angeles and Bakersfield.

Raleigh NC has population of 380,000 people while NYC has 8,300,000. Some of the minor differences:

NYC has a Subway. In Raleigh we eat at Subway.
NYC has trains with people. In Raleigh we have trains with box cars.
NYC has buildings that reach the clouds. Raleigh has few clouds.
NYC has central park. Raleigh has a central garage.
NYC has accidents. Raleigh has wrecks.
NYC has expensive car insurance. Raleigh has lower car Inn-surance.

But I learned long ago, Grandma is always right!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:29 PM

94 posts, read 175,736 times
How old are you? Are you still in HS?

Old 03-27-2009, 05:23 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
She's right. People often confuse the two.
I often do that myself. I heard Raleigh is going to buy the statue of liberty and move it downtown, any truth to that rumor?

Old 03-27-2009, 05:41 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by falk25 View Post
How old are you? Are you still in HS?
seriously, my parents are that old and we're just starting out...
anyways, how does your grandmother think raleigh is like nyc, or are you just pulling our leg? has she ever been to both of them, seen pictures of them, read stats of them? manhattan alone has a skyline that stretches for miles.... raleigh has 3 tall buildings. nyc has like 10 million people or something. raleigh never seems to have anyone in it. nyc has a metro, a trillion restaurants, neighborhoods like chinatown and greenwich village. raleigh has a bus and glenwood south. i don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary