U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:03 AM

346 posts, read 593,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .-. View Post
Need a Benedict Arnold tax.
Companies thats rate of investing overseas, building up, hiring there relative to how much that they are investing here in the U.S that exceeds the rate of profits they are making overseas to how much they are making here in the U.S should be subject to this tax.
Thirty percent on gross personal income in addition to any other taxes with no credits. To top 10 % earners in the company. The ones making the decisions. Thirty percent on owners and/or entities that are holding top 5% investment.

Nothing short of something like this will keep jobs here in the U.S and our beloved RTP (keep it local,plug).

Fine ship jobs overseas, make money for your "company", but we won't let you get rich from it.

All else is just badged farce.
The only problem with your idea is that the easy way for a company to get around that is to be based out of another country, and this has already happened in large part because of their unwillingness to pay US taxes on profits. The only way I see to encourage companies to manufacture here is to impose tariffs on imports, that way it doesn't matter where the company is based out of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 05:18 AM

2,034 posts, read 2,867,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncorey1 View Post
Yeah, and the state government and RTP jobs are gonna carry all of N.C. now, right? Wait a minute, maybe Fayetteville/Ft. Bragg is part of the Triangle now and the military contract jobs there are gonna support everyone?
Again, this is a "Triangle" forum, not a state forum. The state of NC is a fairly poor state overall, but the Triangle is quite different than the state as a whole. No one says that the Triangle is not in a recession. Did you actually read the article or only the title of the article?

Old 04-01-2009, 08:18 AM

158 posts, read 310,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncorey1 View Post
Go ahead and put your head in the sand! The recession is everywhere.
Turn off Fox News or CNN and stop making such media driven statements. What is your goal of painting such a bleak picture? I'm sure you aren't benefiting as much as major news outlets from the ratings that doom and gloom pull in. Wake up.

The bottom line is that we are in a global recession, it is everywhere. Does this mean that the United States is feeling the same level of economic crisis as other countries? No. Does this mean that all States are feeling the same level of economic crisis? No. Does this mean that each city is feeling the same level of economic crisis? I hope this isn't surprising, but the answer is also no. There are different degrees of what cities and people are feeling. Some cities currently have unemployment rates over 20%, some have them under 3%...

Don't put out state wide statistics and relate them to the triangle.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:05 AM

4,898 posts, read 10,482,590 times
I know that people hate it when news stories are posted without any commentary, but I'm going to do it anyway.

Three stories about the local and state economy and recovery predictions:

The Golden Triangle wasn't recession proof after all – The grim statistics are proof :: WRAL.com

Recovery coming – but not till 2010 - for Triangle, other regions :: WRAL.com

Economist: N.C. unemployment rate to hit 13% :: WRAL.com

Old 07-08-2009, 01:00 PM

8,211 posts, read 10,867,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I know that people hate it when news stories are posted without any commentary, but I'm going to do it anyway.

Three stories about the local and state economy and recovery predictions:

The Golden Triangle wasn't recession proof after all – The grim statistics are proof :: WRAL.com

Recovery coming – but not till 2010 - for Triangle, other regions :: WRAL.com

Economist: N.C. unemployment rate to hit 13% :: WRAL.com
Those might get heeded better if you put them in a new thread, since this one's title states just the opposite

Old 07-08-2009, 01:31 PM

4,898 posts, read 10,482,590 times
Right. I did that on purpose. We have enough threads addressing this, so I wanted to choose an existing one and add to it. This one seemed to be the most current and reflected opinions both pro and con regarding the "R" word topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary