U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2009, 04:07 PM

475 posts, read 1,398,248 times

Advertisements

Our window downstairs ( the upper pane) has a crack in it. These are the double pressurized windows. Any idea if we have to replace the entire pane or the whole window? Also, can you tell me how much it would cost ( the ballpark figure)? Would I go to a Lowes or a Home Depot to get it done?

Thanks for any replies,

D
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 04:20 PM

4,188 posts, read 9,811,768 times
How old is your house? Are the windows aluminum, wood, or vinyl? You may be able to order a whole new sash (the part that slides up and down) from the manufacturer. If it's a wood window, you may be able to replace just the glass. I don't think Lowes or Home Depot would be the place to go unless the windows came from there.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
How old is your house? Are the windows aluminum, wood, or vinyl? You may be able to order a whole new sash (the part that slides up and down) from the manufacturer. If it's a wood window, you may be able to replace just the glass. I don't think Lowes or Home Depot would be the place to go unless the windows came from there.
The house is about 8 years old, and I think the window is vinyl. The sash is not the problem, it is the unmovable glass part on the top that has a crack.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:47 PM

4,188 posts, read 9,811,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by des1rees View Post
The house is about 8 years old, and I think the window is vinyl. The sash is not the problem, it is the unmovable glass part on the top that has a crack.
I was able to order a replacement sash for a similar problem for about $100. It seems silly to replace the whole sash when just the glass is broken, but it was much less expensive. You'll could see if you can remove the sash and take it to a local glass place for an estimate - otherwise you'll need someone to come to your house.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:00 PM

31,594 posts, read 55,307,520 times
Raleigh Glass, Windows, Replacement Glass

I don't know the cost of repair, but the estimate is free.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:25 PM

31,594 posts, read 55,307,520 times
This is from the Silverline Windows website:
http://www.silverlinewindow.com/size/2200_size.pdf (broken link)

Silverline is a very common new construction vinyl window.

If you go to Page 7, with the diagrams of the cutaways and thru-sections of the windows, look at the drawing at the top left of the page.

On the left margin of the page, there is a number 1 in a circle, beside text: "JAMB DETAILS THRU UPPER FIXED LITE."

Look at the area of detail directly to the right of the circled 1.

You will see a rendering of a window frame, and it shows the glass "package" inserted into the vinyl frame. Two panes of glass separated by a "separator."

On the left side at the top of the glass package, you will see a part of the window frame that is solid, and holds the glass package.

The relevant part:
On the right side at the top of the glass package, you will a more complex piece of vinyl, shaped like a backwards letter "C" and it looks like it has a comma at the bottom.

The backwards "C" is a piece of trim that runs the full width and height of the glass package, and usually can be seen from inside the window, all around the glass.

The top of the backwards "C" is a little extension and looks roughly like a spear. The "spear" is a barbed piece that goes into a receiver in the solid fixed sash.
The "C" piece is removable, and when all four sides of the "C" are removed from the fixed sash, the glass package can be lifted out and replaced.
Then the "C" trim is replaced and snugs the new window glass package in place.

All fixed!

I would expect to pay about $45 for a new glass package, DIY, if I picked it up and installed it after measuring and ordering it myself.

Or about $90--$120 more for labor if it had to be measured, estimated, ordered, delivered, and installed by a glass service.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:27 PM

239 posts, read 1,003,861 times
Home Depot or Lowes is not the likely solution to your problem. Stock Building Supplies might be if you choose the second option below.

You have two choices to solve this problem: one is to have a glass company provide and install a new vacuum sealed double pane insulated glass, or determine the manufacturer of the window and order a replacement sash.

Raleigh Glass and Mirror (link recommended above) performs this service hundreds of times a month. Call Gerald at 919-779-5880 and ask for Gerald (tell him that Trent referred you)

Old 03-27-2009, 09:27 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone for the tips...tremendously helpful.

D

Old 03-29-2009, 06:47 PM

306 posts, read 618,800 times
We just experienced a broken window this weekend (by a solidly placed Nerf soccer ball)--it's on the bottom of the window (the part that you can remove). Do you take the window out and take it to these places? It's a two pane insulated window on a house that was built last year. Someone suggested Ace Hardware, but they don't do insulated windows. I'm looking in Wake Forest/Franklin County area. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2009, 07:01 PM

6,310 posts, read 7,990,836 times
Would Raleigh Glass & Mirror be a good choice for replacement windows including the outside frame?

I just got a quote from Window World and I'm seeking other bids to replace 2 windows and fix the outside frame (starting to rot).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary