Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:42 PM

7 posts, read 17,031 times

Advertisements

My subdivision is just behind Turner Creek Elementary, but my kids go to a private school (heartwood Montessori). For next year I'm thinking whether to try turner creek or put my kids in Thales Academy. I have a rising 4th grader and a kindergartner. My oldest never been to a public school. I homeschooled him until 1st grade, then went to a private school for 2nd grade and in Montessori for 3 grade. My experience with private school hasn't been satisfying to say the least. My older son is very smart, sensitive, sweet and also anxious boy. I know that any change would really stress him and he needs a sence of stability in his life. Now I'm faced with a very hard decision whether to keep him in the same school and hope for the best since he will have another teacher or put both kids in another school or homeschool my older child and put my 5 years old in Turner creek.
If you know anything about the mentioned schools please share your experience. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 09:49 PM

381 posts, read 1,325,310 times
Cary schools generally have a pretty good reputation, but I don't know anything about the particular schools you mention. My wife and I homeschool; check out the Classical Conversations website. That's the program we decided on when our daughter was about to enter school. She's now 11 and excels in every measurable academic endeavor (off the charts in the year-end standardized testing). Our son (10) exceeds his grade level by a good bit, too, although not by as much as our daughter in most measures. I really like this program because of the weekly classroom component and the depth of learning required.

Regardless of the school and whether it's public, private, or at home; I think the most important factor in the child's success is the level of parental involvement in the child's education. There are certainly differences between schools, and I don't mean to minimize that fact, but that's true of every type of school. For instance, while homeschool will generally provide the best teacher to student ratio, not everyone is able to have the time to homeschool. Some folks are not really capable of educating their children (and we wonder year-to-year whether we are about to fall into that category!). We work hard enough to educate two; I can only imagine the dedication and skill it takes to educate 20 to 30 or more in most standard classrooms. My hat's off to anyone who can do that, whether in a public or private school.

Anyway, I guess part of my point is that our children benefit dramatically from our involvement in their education (and I mean that across the board with any type of school). From that perspective, it sounds like your kids already have a leg up. I hope you find peace in how to handle their education going forward.

Good luck,
Mike

Old 04-06-2009, 09:11 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times
He's been in 3 schooling situations in 3 years, you're thinking of changing his school again and he's anxious? Well who wouldn't be! Not only have you changed schools, but you've changed approaches to education each time (homeschooling is SO different from a regular private which is totally different from a Montessori!).

You are looking for something which doesn't exist--"perfection." Do some good research on schools, pick one, and stick with it for the rest of his schooling career. Or better yet, leave him where he is so he gets some sense of normalcy.

Poor kid!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:34 AM

621 posts, read 2,217,901 times
[quote=Mikeheel;8204242]Regardless of the school and whether it's public, private, or at home; I think the most important factor in the child's success is the level of parental involvement in the child's education. /quote]

Agreed. Using a belt or the palm of your hand works too.. Well, at least that technique worked on me. I guess these days you have to be more creative, as it's not an acceptable practice anymore.

Good luck!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:56 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
What is it about your current school that you are disastified with and what are you looking for in a new school for your son?
If your son is happy and your situation isn't dire, I might be inclined to leave him where he is for the last 2 years of elementary school and re-visit the issue for middle school, but obviously I don't know what the issues are and if it's really important for you to change him right now.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:49 PM

3 posts, read 4,245 times
Smile Thales Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by culture bridge View Post
My subdivision is just behind Turner Creek Elementary, but my kids go to a private school (heartwood Montessori). For next year I'm thinking whether to try turner creek or put my kids in Thales Academy. ...My older son is very smart, sensitive, sweet and also anxious boy. I know that any change would really stress him and he needs a sence of stability in his life. ...
If you know anything about the mentioned schools please share your experience. Thanks
Our children attend Thales in Apex. Having come from public school, its just what we needed. However, since you mention that your child has been in Montessori, you should consider that Direct Instruction will be a dramatic change. It is very structured. Our children needed to build up their skills to focus and get the details right - Thales has been fabulous for that. We had some problems with 'holes' where our kids didn't get various bits from the public instruction. Again, Thales: great for us.

Also, there are lots of smart, sensitive, sweet and anxious kids at Thales. He'd fit right in. The teachers and the headmistress are FABULOUS. And the parents are very involved. Its a great community of folks. You'll just have to visit and see if you think the style will be right for your child(ren). Maybe it would solve what is making you unhappy at the Montessori, or maybe not. And I've heard that structure and predictability of knowing what will happen next helps with anxiety. Thales certainly has that. Another major thing we like about Thales is that they teach a child to their ability. So, if they are a grade (or two) advanced in Reading or Math, they go sit with that group. Likewise, if they are struggling, they go sit with the appropriate group.

And its really about academics. No sports to speak of. There are, however, specials and there are enrichment programs. Keep in mind, though the program is only 1 year old, so it will only get better.

Its filling up for next year, so you might want to visit soon just in case you want the option.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by LapisLazuli; 04-06-2009 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: make sentence more clear

Old 04-09-2009, 10:10 PM

7 posts, read 17,031 times
Thank you all for your thoughts.
I agree with you Mike; It does depend on the parents involvment no matter what school they attend.
I have to say that I really enjoyed homeschooling my child, and If I want to work that's what I will do. However, homeschooling was very challenging at times because, in part my child has ADD (he is now being treated for it with neurofeedback) And that was the main reason why I changed his school. If I hadn't homeschooled him, I probably would not know of his ADD problem. It was very hard for me though, to admit that my child has some challenges. I felt more confortable to blame myself when things were not going well, than to admit that he might have some attention problems.

when I put him in the first private school, things did not get better, as a matter of fact they got worse. and I thought to myself may be because of the traditional setting and too much restriction. I tried to find him a more relaxed environment that foster love of learning and independence. my search led me to the montessori pylosophy. and since my child attended a montessori school in PreK I thought it would work with him in the elementary level too.

What I don't like about this particular Montessori school is that I don't feel that my child is being challenged enough. It seems to me that, academically the school is a bit too relaxed and lacks structure and organization.

I know that my child is very bright. he likes to learn in a nurturing, non competitive environment. he likes some freedom to move in the classroom and engage with kids and adults around him in a meaningful way. he also likes to learn for the sake of learning not for test taking. he is a good team player and does not like competition. he is very sensitive and very sweet and very sociable boy. I also know he needs some structure and some routine to help him feel secure.

What I want for my child is what every parent wants for his child; to reach his potential acadamically, socially and emotionally. and the dilema right now is which school can be a good fit for my child and help him toward this goal.
Thanks again everyone. Your thoughts and feedback are highly appreciated

Old 07-11-2009, 08:50 PM

6 posts, read 19,972 times
Hi, Turner Creek is supposed to be a very good school. I would give it a try,give him some time to adjust and see what happens. You can always go back to homeschooling later.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:13 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
I personally think you are traumatizing your kids by switching schools so often. All 3 choices have their positives and negatives. Regardless, kids love stability and moving them to different schools every year just so you can find out which one suits your own style is ridiculous. Ever thought of asking the kids?

Old 07-12-2009, 08:07 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
If you like Montessori but not that specific school, I would look at the Montessori School of Raleigh. I have several friends with kids there and I've heard nothing but good things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary