Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 06:29 AM

271 posts, read 699,554 times

Advertisements

Hey...We went to Disney World!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:17 AM

285 posts, read 834,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntchanga View Post
Although you said you don't want the Caribbean, I'd highly recommend Belize. It has a bit of everything-- historical/cultural sites, jungle (complete with jaguars, monkeys, etc.), incredibly beautiful beaches for lounging, snorkeling and scuba diving, kayaking, etc. My hubby and I flew straight down to Placencia and had a wonderful time. (BTW: If it matters, it's English speaking.)
Ahh - Belize - that came up with the other half last night - that looks like a good location, who did you use to book it?

Old 04-01-2009, 09:36 AM

176 posts, read 644,168 times
We booked it online through Travelocity or Expedia (sorry, I can't remember which one). We did a package deal with flights plus hotel. No rental car needed. We stayed at the Inn at Robert's Grove. The rooms were wonderful and they have the best seafood buffet (lobster tail, crab, conch, etc.) on Sunday (?) nights. Everybody from around the area comes in for it. The inn is on a peninsula (sea side) and has free kayaks to use in the mangrove on the other side (we saw dolphins, seahorses, birds of all sorts, and jellyfish from our kayak), free windsurfers to use, bikes to ride into town... They also offer daily excursions to the area sites (we went spelunking in a cave/innertubing down a river in a jaguar reserve, snorkeling trip out to Laughing Bird Caye, and a trip to the Mayan pyramids. The prices back in '05 were $50 per person for each excursion). The chef there was awesome, but the downside was that their food was pricey. You could take a taxi or bike into the town of Placencia for other food options though.
Another recommendation would be to stay at Francis Ford Coppola's place (Turtle Inn) also in Placencia or in the jungle (can't remember the location in Belize) at his mountain lodge. We ate and had drinks at the Turtle Inn and checked out the rooms. They were gorgeous! Little bungalows with open air showers. Downside was no air con...
If you do a search, you can check out both places on-line. I'd highly recommend either for a romantic honeymoon!
Also, if you do choose to head down to Placencia, expect an exciting flight! We rode on a little 8 seater and dropped off the other passengers in another town before heading to Placencia. It was like we had our own private plane! The runway at the tiny airport has a really short landing strip and ends by the water! It was so much fun, but exciting, too!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:45 AM

1,377 posts, read 2,094,633 times
Cabo San Lucas or Puerto Viarta. I LOVE that side of Mexico. (It will remind you of The Costa Del Sol!)...
Or why not Hawaii?

Old 04-01-2009, 10:50 AM

757 posts, read 2,077,712 times
Stay a couple of nights at the Red Horse Inn in Landrum, SC and then head up to the Grove park Inn to stay and enjoy the indoor spa. Go hiking for the day and enjoy the mountains and downtown Asheville... and be sure to eat at La Paz and Tulupo Honey Cafe.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:32 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,327,555 times
I thought the universally known single destination was 'bed'. All seriousness aside.

I think anyplace two people madly in love with one other can be with one another is about the best possible place on earth as long as they are with one another while they are there. ...and that is all I have to say about that!

Best of luck!!!!!!

Old 04-01-2009, 11:32 AM

19 posts, read 55,628 times
If you do decide on a Caribbean destination, take a look at Puerto Rico. No need to change currency, great beaches and you can get there in about 6 hours including layovers. There are flights that connect through Charlotte or Atlanta.

My wife and I went to Playa del Carmen, Mexico a couple of years ago. Too dangerous now so PR is where I'd probably end up.

Good Luck with your decision!

Old 04-01-2009, 01:26 PM

285 posts, read 834,757 times
Thanks to all thats replied - we dont want to do Mexico as we went a couple of years back (Playa del Carmen funnily enough), and we do want to venture out of the US itself - as hopefully we'll visit some of these places on other, less "honeymoon ish" vacations

However, I think the Caribbean may be starting to swing back around again. Hawaii/Maui etc are all feasible too - looks like there's a lot more options!

And DANSDRIVE - couldn't agree more!

Old 04-01-2009, 02:07 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,756,135 times
If you go to St. Lucia, you'll meet other honeymooners from NC (direct flight from Charlotte) as well as a lot of Brits.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:00 PM

347 posts, read 932,418 times
Outer banks was great for our honeymoon in 1986!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary