Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 01:29 PM

306 posts, read 1,192,624 times

Advertisements

1. Slower way of life.
2. Friendly people.
3. Less crime.
4. It's green.
5. Less traffic.
6. Lightening bugs.
7. Four seasons.
8. Larger city, but not too large.
9. Lots of vacation spots nearby.
10. No smog.

Why Raleigh citizens hopefully would like me to live there:

1. I am a nice person.
2. I won't bring a CA attitude. Promise!
3. I don't litter.
4. I recycle.
5. If I own a home and I sell it I won't get greedy.
6. I am a good friend to have. ( I've been told)
7. I am a good neighbor.
8. I love to help people.
9. I like to shop. (That helps the economy)
10. I am not a crazy driver.
11. I am pretty laid back.
12. I can pick up a southern accent easily if yall want me to.
13. I will help organize a clean up the highways campaign.
14. I will watch lightening bugs, but promise I won't catch any.
15. I love people of all races, religions, ethnic backgrounds.
17. I am a good listener.
18. I am a responsible pet owner.
19. I don't smoke.
20. I want to plant flowers in my yard.

I am bringing my daughter, and two sisters and they fit that description
too. (so multiply 1-20 times four and that is some of what we can offer Raleigh)

and a woof woof, woof woof, and a meow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 06:13 PM

560 posts, read 2,849,541 times
I currently live on Long Island, my wife and I can not afford to raise our family of four because the avg. home price is $450k and the avg. taxes are $7k not to mention the cost of utilities and traffic!!

Old 03-29-2007, 06:21 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
We want a good future for our family.
We'd like a good family home now, something which has been out of reach for this middle-class family here in Ct.
We hope the kids can go to college at one of the many schools in the area. We hope to become involved in a church, like we are here (that's one of the hardest things to leave). We also hope to be involved locally, as is our habit now.
We hope, with the healthy economy and growth, that our kids can have a chance at securing their own good futures when they grow up.
The weather is a factor since dh and I both work primarily outside, cold gets old after awhile.
We have found people there to be friendly and think it's a good environment for us!

Old 03-29-2007, 06:53 PM

112 posts, read 760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmeca11 View Post
I currently live on Long Island, my wife and I can not afford to raise our family of four because the avg. home price is $450k and the avg. taxes are $7k not to mention the cost of utilities and traffic!!
My wife has an aunt in Long Island. I can't get over how much her house would worth. The north east in general is way overpriced, IMO. It's one of the reasons why we left MA.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:56 PM

133 posts, read 711,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 Camaro View Post
Hi2NC wow!! That sure makes sense to me. You just wrote what echoes my sentiments about life as well. I am not opposed to working OT(or working hard) but my profession is also somewhat unique. I am an RN used to working 36 hours per week(3 twelve hour days). So working OT for me is still only working 4 days per week. Having 3 days a week with my spouse and child is an experience that I can't put a price tag on.

I love being a nurse and would never return to a schedule where I HAD to work 5 days a week and then hours beyond that in order to make OT money! I have a lot respect for people who do that. But they sure pay a price in the form of a lot less time available for family/friends/recreation/hobbies etc. It's real tough to live a balanced life when all you mostly do is work!!!
AMEN to that! My wife is also an RN. And our hope in moving to this area is that it will afford us to have a lifestyle that's not dictated by your J-O-B (just over broke). Having a nice cushion on your savings, and a quality lifestyle w/ your family is the goal!

Old 03-29-2007, 11:04 PM

359 posts, read 1,838,573 times
To be closer to family.......and the ocean too. But if it weren't for family, I'd be content to stay here in the KC area-very nice here.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:16 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
I'll be moving to Durham or Chapel Hill, but I can find a medical research job at a significantly higher salary there than Tampa Bay and the cost of living is lower there than here. Also the cost of homeowner's insurance in St. Petersburg plus property taxes have priced out first time homeowners. I absolutely love St. Petersburg though - definitely not ecstatic about the move. But at least I can go see mountains when I'm there!

Old 03-30-2007, 07:21 AM

214 posts, read 663,900 times
Coming home. I grew up in Johnston County and moved to Raleigh after college. 5 years ago I moved to Pensacola, FL after I was laid off. It's not a bad place, but it's ungodly flat and there are tons of neglected buildings that have become eyesores. Combine that with rising home prices, insurance, property tax, and a timely job offer in Cary, and I'm going back to God's country. And I'm bringing my new wife with me.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:08 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
I moved here for a few reasons, primarily for a better job. I had been looking at Raleigh for a while because of the proximity of great univeristies in the area. I am a young professional, sort thinking about going back to school soon. I was living in a very high cost of living area before, and I didn't have a chance at ever owning a nice place of my own, even though I was saving as much as I could (very little). I'm still saving, but even renting is more bearable here. I was also looking for an area that was located near the mountains and the coast, but also has a metropolitain feel - not too big, but big enough to get some cultural events, etc.

My move took me away from my hometown and my family, but I am still happy I did it. I really didn't have what I wanted where I was, and I really feel more at home here in Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary