Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 06:17 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times

Advertisements

(OK, i know this is immediately going to come off as me being THAT GUY, you know the non-local guy who just wants things to be like they were back in Cali, but bear with me.)

we belong to BofA, and every branch we have been to has exactly (1) ATM. it's typically a drive-up ATM that has replaced one of the old-school teller drive-ups with the awesome vacuum tubes.

in CA (*oh no, here he goes*), pretty much any bank will have AT LEAST (2) ATMs, usually with one being a walk-up and one being a drive-up. MOST branches even have multiple with 4-5 ATMs not being all that uncommon whatsoever. usually, every drive-up that used to be the old-school 'talk with an actual person' style has been replaced with an ATM.

now, don't get me wrong. i LOVE that NC still has the old-school style. something about that speaks to the charm of this state where people have not lost the ability nor the desire to speak to an actual person rather than a machine. however, BofA won't help me through those lines because my account is not an NC account (which you wouldn't think would make a difference for a bank named Bank of AMERICA). and even if i did switch my account, that still leaves (1) ATM to service everyone after hours, which brings me to the next part of the rant......

people are SO SLOW when using the ATMs, at least at my local branch! i've actually clocked people, and it takes the average person 3+ minutes. sure, that doesn't sound like a long time, but multiply that times the (5) cars in line for the (1) ATM, and you start to get the idea. honestly, even if you have to deposit items, it doesn't take that long. BofA's ATMs are so hi-tech they can read the check, determine the amount, and do the math for you, so what's the deal? and most of the time, people are just getting some cash, which is should take a minute, tops. i'm not saying you don't get behind slow pokes in CA, but that seemed to be the exception whereas here it seems to be the rule.

so, aside from being a rant (and believe me, i feel better now), i guess i'm also curious to know whether y'all think they may ever put more ATMs in the banks around here, and if you'd welcome it.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 06:20 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Even State Employees Credit Union has very few branches with 2 ATM's.

Have seen a set of two at Centura on Capital at New Hope Church Rd.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:02 AM

492 posts, read 1,152,266 times
You actually "clock" people at ATMs? Geesh, you've got too much time on your hands. I never even use an ATM. I'm at so many POS (point of sale) places, I just tack on cash that way when I need some bucks in my pocket. I work for a bank and I don't think there is even an inkling of adding more ATMs.

The way I see it, if this is the most pressing issue that has you upset, you are living a blessed life! Make your wait time more productive:
1. Read a book, magazine, mail
2. Apply lipstick, face powder or handcream
3. Clean out the inbox/outbox in your cell, maybe even update the addy book
4. Pull out a dust cloth and dust your dash
5. Eat lunch or a snack
6. Gather trash in your car
7. Cut, trim or file your nails
8. Call Mom
9. Prepare a list of things to do after you get away from this ATM
10. Re-do the settings on your radio, or fix the incorrect time
11. Clean out purse/wallet or just organize both or either
12. Close your eyes and listen to the birds and/or traffic, and just relax

Old 04-05-2009, 08:13 AM

519 posts, read 982,112 times
That is not a rant, just a whine.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:32 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
13. Medicate before going out in public.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:42 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,879,858 times
Nothing moves fast here.... better find yourself a good shrink if you plan on staying.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:42 PM

39 posts, read 91,224 times
i just ditched BofA a few months ago for the charles schwab high-yield investor checking account.

there are no minimums, no fees, and you can use any ATM in the world and they'll reimburse you for any fees you're charged. being able to use any ATM anywhere should definitely cut down on having to wait in lines.

(i promise i don't work for schwab! i'm just a formerly unhappy BofA customer who is now an extremely happy schwab customer.)

Old 04-05-2009, 04:01 PM

18,088 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Not all BofA's only have 1 ATM, though many do. There's one I go to that has the drive through counter person, a drive through ATM, and a drive through thing with those vacuum tubes. It just depends which one you visit. Plus, as Calico said upstream, you can get cash back at various P.O.S. checkouts so you can avoid going to the ATM just for cash.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:33 PM

646 posts, read 2,050,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Nothing moves fast here.... better find yourself a good shrink if you plan on staying.
No kidding....that was something that took awhile to get used to....now I get upset if people are all huffy.

He'll either need that shrink or learn to relax.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:11 AM

94 posts, read 175,736 times
Uh oh.... I hate waiting in an atm line, too! I'm with bofa and getting ready to move there from CA... hmmm... maybe I should consider switching to the Schwabb, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary