Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 05:20 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,557,879 times

Advertisements

You know I always hear people say that, we've lost our way of life like it was back in the 1950's, etc. Well I'm sure the old people in the 1950's were saying the same thing about that time. I'm sure the older people who were born in the 1800's were saying the same thing around the turn of the century about what was happening at the time to other developing cities.

All I'm saying is that change is inevitable. Growth to some people will always be disgusting, but they reap many rewards from it. Like a previous poster said, I doubt people want to go back to the hunting and gathering era. The way of life Saturnfan speaks of in 1960's Long Island was probably very disturbing to the Long Islanders who lived there before all the sprawl starting coming out from NYC in the 1940's-50's.

Last edited by Waterboy526; 04-17-2009 at 05:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 05:03 PM

21 posts, read 134,993 times
Back on topic though, I think the real devastation that is being highlighted here is the type of growth we have experienced and the impact it has had on our community infrastructure. Not all growth is good. Well planned and thought out growth can be a boon to an area. Most of the growth that we have experienced in the triangle I would classify as explosive "quick and dirty" growth. People have flocked here in hordes and, in turn, these "mcmansions", suburban style condos, and strip malls have sprung up.

As a Raleigh native and a local architect (no I'm not hiring), I feel it is my obligation to advocate for the preservation of what I feel is a fine city and surrounding area with a lot to offer. What is happening right now to the area does not augment its value; socially, financially or otherwise. It has been a mindless "free for all".

Personally, I'd like to see people that move here from an area where the cost of living is higher be required to pay a relocation tax over the course of a few years. The amount should be set at 50%-75% of the total "cost of living" difference between our area and theirs. This would throttle the influx to a manageable capacity. It would be a "good faith contribution" to ensure that the we can support the growth needed to sustain them and keep out the "paradise seekers" that just add to our density and nothing more.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:12 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Law View Post
Personally, I'd like to see people that move here from an area where the cost of living is higher be required to pay a relocation tax over the course of a few years. The amount should be set at 50%-75% of the total "cost of living" difference between our area and theirs. This would throttle the influx to a manageable capacity. It would be a "good faith contribution" to ensure that the we can support the growth needed to sustain them and keep out the "paradise seekers" that just add to our density and nothing more.

Yikes.

You do realize that just becasue somebody moves from an area known for a higher cost of living (Like say New Jersey) they don't automatically have a high paying job and gobs of money. There are people living off of just $20K a year in NJ too. Would you like to charge them a 75% cost of living differential tax too?

It amazes me how people like to lump everyone together. "Hey, your from [NY/NJ/CA], you must be loaded!"

Old 05-15-2009, 05:22 PM

21 posts, read 134,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Yikes.

You do realize that just becasue somebody moves from an area known for a higher cost of living (Like say New Jersey) they don't automatically have a high paying job and gobs of money. There are people living off of just $20K a year in NJ too. Would you like to charge them a 75% cost of living differential tax too?

It amazes me how people like to lump everyone together. "Hey, your from [NY/NJ/CA], you must be loaded!"
Thanks for the reply. I am definitely aware of that and am not trying to lump people together. I know plenty of people from that area that aren't loaded with money. I don't generalize and that wasn't my point.

What I'm talking about is what our area needs to grow and that is capital. Capital pays for roads, capital pays for zoning, capital pays for city water, electricity, malls, cars, land, and so on. If people don't have the capital to pitch in, they don't need to be coming here. They are liabilities, not assets.

Pony up! These are tough times and it is only going to get more crowded.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:47 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,595 times
So, theoretically, could NJ, NY and CA sue NC for lost capital due to their "assets" leaving? Ridiculous. The WORLD is getting more crowded and people have to go somewhere.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:13 PM

116 posts, read 254,390 times
So an architect doesn't want any more building, and a person who has lived in NYC, Rockville Center and Hempstead, NY is a native North Carolinian who doesn't want any more transplants? I know its Friday but I think I got that right.

Don't disagree with some of issues; don't like big box, strip malls, McMansions, overbuilding.

I, for one, am not asking for anyone to build me a house. We will be happy choosing from the current inventory that seems to be stagnating and will pay a price for a house that might potentially make a North Carolinian a nice profit so we will in one way be "ponying up". And I own a business that might help a struggling local economy. So are we part of the problem or part of a solution?

Old 05-15-2009, 06:25 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,023 times
I think I'm part of the solution! NC has seen a net decrease in residents as a result of me moving here! I'm a single person and when I bought my house in Apex it was because two people were moving out of state. Then I sold that house to retirees moving here from another area so NC was at +1. But, then I bought my Cary house from a family of THREE moving out of town due to a transfer. So, NC is now at -2, and I even got one kid out of the Wake County schools.

Do I get a prize?

Old 05-15-2009, 08:12 PM

519 posts, read 981,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Law View Post
What I'm talking about is what our area needs to grow and that is capital. Capital pays for roads, capital pays for zoning, capital pays for city water, electricity, malls, cars, land, and so on. If people don't have the capital to pitch in, they don't need to be coming here. They are liabilities, not assets.
Isn't this what we call "taxes?"

Old 05-16-2009, 08:27 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
John Law's relatives must have come over on the Mayflower. Good thing he wasn't working at Ellis Island in the 1800s and early 1900's.

And yes, kingyouth....those things are paid for with taxes. Good call.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:34 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,164,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
Isn't this what we call "taxes?"
Except that taxes hit the existing residents too, not just the newcomers, which is who John Law is trying to get to pay for this. (And rightly so, in my opinion.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary