Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 07:23 PM

68 posts, read 129,051 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering how Raleigh, N.C. is for a single guy in his late 20s or early 30s? I am currently, although very unfortunately, living in Colorado Springs, CO which is UNDOUBTEDLY the WORST city in America (well, besides Jacksonville, N.C.) for a single man who didn't grow up here with all of the other military brats and / or natives. I grew up in and around the Chattanooga, TN area so living in the South will not be something new for me. I also, again very unfortunately, spent four and a half years living in Jacksonville, N.C. because I made the incredibly STUPID decision (due to my father's persuasion) to join the Marine Corps directly from high school versus attending college like an intelligent individual would do. So, long story short, I got out of the Marines (Smartest decision I have ever made BTW), landed a job with Intel Corporation here in Colorado Springs, and unfortunately was laid off due to the plant closure back in 2007. I am just now (at age 27) getting my education because I was DUMB and joined the Marine Corps. So, with that being said, I would like to live in a town where I would at least have a chance of finding a mate because, like I said earlier, Colorado Springs, CO is just as bad as Jacksonville, North Carolina in terms of finding available single women. Furthermore, I respectfully ask that those responding do not stereotype me as being one of those ***hole Marines because I know that Marines have a terrible reputation in North Carolina due to the few idiots that cannot handle their alcohol when out in public. I do realize that I will at least have to finish college here in CO before I can even consider moving back to the South so it will be at least a couple of years in the future before this is even possible. So do you all think that Raleigh might be a good fit for me in terms of finding a good job (medical field in my case) and a potential wife?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 08:08 PM

360 posts, read 992,803 times
If you are good looking, just buy them dinner, and you're good to go. Lots of them on Glenwood on any given weekend, they wear very little clothing there year round, it can be 20 degrees and they are out there with a miniskirt Being a marine, or any military/police type will get you extra points. But if you are looking for wife material, good luck

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-06-2009 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: inappropriate

Old 04-05-2009, 08:48 PM

130 posts, read 389,875 times
Ignore the last post and thank you for your service. You will find Chapel Hill, Raleigh, and Durham (in that order) all have an abundance of nice and available young ladies. Further, I can't think of a better place to find a medical related job........ Be proud of what you are and cut your dad some slack, Marine!

Last edited by 2BZee2Pee; 04-05-2009 at 08:58 PM..

Old 04-05-2009, 08:57 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,708,229 times
If you have the "pleasure" and I use that term ohhh so loosely, of moving here after you're done in CO, be sure to connect with a good social networking base. They'll be able to help introduce you to people whom may know other people. If you don't be prepared to be in the process of looking for the long haul. I'm sure you'll find someone here but it may take some time.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:13 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,736,735 times
This is a great place for a "medical field" job (though that is somewhat of a cryptic term than can be construed to mean a lot), and with three large, good universities around (and alumni who like to hang around after they graduate), it is nothing like Jacksonville or Colo Springs.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:02 AM

621 posts, read 2,212,781 times
Just my perspective, but if you're moving here solely for the ladies then it's probably not that good of an idea. From what I've seen (been here nearly a year), the 'scenery' here isn't that great. When I compare it to where I came from (FL), it's pretty sad. But maybe I look at things differently, as I'm not on the market anymore Again, just my opinion.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
Just my perspective, but if you're moving here solely for the ladies then it's probably not that good of an idea. From what I've seen (been here nearly a year), the 'scenery' here isn't that great. When I compare it to where I came from (FL), it's pretty sad. But maybe I look at things differently, as I'm not on the market anymore Again, just my opinion.
You said it not me. I was trying to be nice about it. The 'talent' isn't the best I've seen compared to the places I've lived before but the OP may absolutely love it. The networking piece is even more critical here from what I've seen in my two years. The 'eligible' talent pool is already small in this market compared to other markets so one's search if you want to call it that can be rough without the proper social network.

Last edited by he's so hott; 04-06-2009 at 11:13 AM..

Old 04-06-2009, 11:26 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,624,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
It is funny that you mention FL. I am from the 'scenery' capital of FL (Miami), and you will find more of the following there than marriage material:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
Oh, there are plenty of young skanks to go around. If you are good looking, just buy them dinner, and you're good to go. Lots of them on [Miami Beach/Coconut Grove/etc.] on any given weekend, they wear very little clothing there year round, it can be 20 degrees and they are out there with a miniskirt Being a marine, or any military/police type will get you extra points. But if you are looking for wife material, good luck
I think that the OP will find a lot more relationship-material stock here than he ever would in FL, and I am a female who grew up there. If all you want to do is look at scantily clad girls who are only interested in you based on what kind of car your drive or whether buy them drinks or not, FL is a great place. If you actually want someone to build a relationship with for the long-term, I think the Triangle area actually has a lot more of that to offer (I'm friends with some of them!). And I know that the single girls here would welcome a guy who has Eric81's goals!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
It is funny that you mention FL. I am from the 'scenery' capital of FL (Miami), and you will find more of the following there than marriage material:

I think that the OP will find a lot more relationship-material stock here than he ever would in FL, and I am a female who grew up there. If all you want to do is look at scantily clad girls who are only interested in you based on what kind of car your drive or whether buy them drinks or not, FL is a great place. If you actually want someone to build a relationship with for the long-term, I think the Triangle area actually has a lot more of that to offer (I'm friends with some of them!). And I know that the single girls here would welcome a guy who has Eric81's goals!

Well, c'mon now. Relationship-material is all fine and dandy, but women and men want a little eye candy as well. Let's be honest. Plus, all of those relationship-minded/material women that are here aren't really as aggressive as one would expect. They depend on connecting through the social network so they're not as aggressive. Once again, very important for the young man thinking of moving here expecting to pull in all of the young ladies.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:55 AM

881 posts, read 2,246,369 times
I grew up in the area and live in Winston Salem now but will be moving back in August. I think Raleigh is a great place for singles. People tend to be friendly and outgoing. As long as you get involved in some sort of organization and get out of your house you'll be fine.

also you could think about moving here to NC for your schooling it would probably help build your network and make connections for the job hunt once you are finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary