U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 04:12 AM

3,353 posts, read 1,539,103 times
Hm...well I can happily drive to Cary for Indian food. I currently live in Tampa Bay which I never thought of as an ethnic food metropolis...but I may have been wrong! In any case, if I can find good mom and pop places (and I will make it a priority) I'm starting a web site
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 05:48 AM

4,883 posts, read 10,163,882 times
I've recommended this restaurant before, so excuse me for repeating myself, but Saffron in Morrisville has some of the best Indian food I've found so far.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:08 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,221,844 times
Sad to say, the one thing I really miss from the DC area are the ethnic restaurants. I lived in Northern Virginia for 20+ years and it seemed like there were a ton of great little "Mom & Pop" ethnic restaurants. Apex has mostly Italian restaurants or pizza places (which I don't consider ethnic, probably because I grew up eating Italian almost every day), a couple of Chinese places (not very good) and that's about it. I was very excited to find out that one of the Italian restaurants that's gone out of business (did I mention there are a lot of Italian restaurants in Apex?) is being replaced by an Indian place! *Cheer*

I just hope the food & service is good, and people can tear themselves away from Red Robin, Chilis and the other chain restaurants (ugh), and this new place does well!

I will say that I've had awesome fried seafood at Skipper's Fish Fry.. not ethnic, but sinfully good!

Oh and I will mention Tangerine Cafe in Cary as a place to get a nice variety of tasty non-Chinese Asian food.

But yeah, overall I'd say Raleigh is probably not as good for ethnic food as most the places people are relocating from.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:08 AM

112 posts, read 607,728 times
I like Wasabi Sushi Thai in McGregor village in Cary for Thai food. The sushi is fresh and the food is pretty good.

I haven't been able to find really good Chinese food since we moved out of New England. There's a decent place called Panda Garden that opened in Holly Springs, but it's still not as good as the stuff up north, IMO.

For Italian we really like Bella Napoli in Cary. The food is good there and the prices are very reasonable. Some nights they even have live entertainment!

Old 03-30-2007, 06:15 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,221,844 times
Oh, and I should mention one place has made it from Northern VA to Raleigh/Durham.. Five Guys Burgers! While not "ethnic" I will say the burgers are *great* - and just as good as they were in VA.

Not quite the same thing as a Pho restaurant right on my way home from work though!

Old 03-30-2007, 06:34 AM

225 posts, read 689,485 times
[quote=NewUser;513302]In 8 months, I have yet to find a good asian restaurant, whether it be thai, chinese, or vietnamese. I also haven't found a good mexican restaurant either. However, that doesn't mean that there aren't any. QUOTE]

I agree with the first part of this statement....cannot find a good asian restaurant. We used to have chinese/thai/vietnamese carry-out every Friday night---cannot find anything to compare down here.

However, coming from an area that lacked any good Mexican restaurants, we think that there are several good to very good ones here! So basically replaced out Friday night carry-outs with Mexican.

Still haven't got used to the NC style of BBQ yet.....

Old 03-30-2007, 06:52 AM

1,531 posts, read 5,176,185 times
I think there are at least a couple good restaurants of just about every ethnic food type somewhere in the Triangle. If not Raleigh, then perhaps Durham, or Chapel Hill. We got them all, really, and I have been very impressed with what we've gotten over the past few years. Granted this ain't NYC, but you knew that moving here I would hope.

Try doing a search of what you like at triangle.com 's dining guide....complete with reviews from the local paper's restaurant reporter.
Also, the Independent Weekly (indyweek.com) keeps an online database of all non-chain restaurants in the Triangle that they update yearly...also a very good resource.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:16 AM

2,082 posts, read 5,027,260 times
I've only lived in Raleigh for about nine months, but I've found some pretty good restaurants. Stumbled on a great authentic Mexican restaurant the other day - Dos Taquitos at Creedmore and Millbrook. It's very unassuming in a strip mall complete with a Food Lion, but the place has great food and an excellent atmosphere. It also comes highly recommended by a Mexican friend of mine.

We also have come to love Waraji for Japanese (Duraleigh off Glenwood), by far the best Japanese we have found in the area. For Thai we have gone to Thai House (Hardimont off Wake Forest) quite a bit and it is pretty good. Shabashabu is good Thai too, especially if you also want some sushi or Japanese or can't make up your mind.

We haven't really had time yet to find a good Chinese or Indian place yet, but we are still in the searching phase. I'm confident we'll find them.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:31 AM

250 posts, read 883,732 times
Here's a few very good options:

Daniel's (Apex on Rt. 55 just north of intersection of 55 and 64)--this is an italian restaurant that has excellent food. The facade is nothing to speak of. But its usually packed! Reservations are highly recommended on weekends.

Saffron in Cary (Davis Drive and McCrimmon Parkway) is a recently opened Indian restaurant that is quite good and frequented by many Indian professionals working RTP. It has some of the best/freshest naan bread I've ever had. Saffron serves both meat and veggie dishes

Tower Restaurant in Morrisville (Off Morrisville-Carpenter Rd in the strip mall just before the railroad tracks at Chapel Hill Road) is a vegetarian Indian restaurant that is also quite good.

Udupi Cafe in Cary (E Chatham Street in a "sideways" strip mall east of downtown Cary and west of Maynard) is also vegetarian is quite good.

I echo comments re Mexican restaurants--there are many good ones around.

I've heard Tacos Mexico in Apex is excellent. We love La Rancherita in the Harris Teeter Shopping Center (Rt. 55 and High House)

I agree that good Thai/Asian is hard to find here.

The Duck and Dumpling is a very good Asian restaurant in downtown Raleigh (next to Moore Square) but it's pretty upscale.

Neo-China is our Cary choice (off Maynard (between High House and Chapel Hill Road) b/c they have brown rice.

For Bar-B-Que we like Danny's which is a local chain and has both Eastern NC vinegar sauce, the SC mustard suace, and red sauces (both sweet and spicy) as well.

Happy eating!

Old 03-30-2007, 09:06 AM

43 posts, read 224,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
I will be one unhappy ex-floridian/ex-NYer/ex-NJeyan

Thanks!

You weren't happy in Florida, New York or Jersey?
Tough crowd...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary