Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 09:47 AM

157 posts, read 617,183 times

Advertisements

I always see these threads about the Triangle area not having "good" food or how the food was awful...I am not sure where these people are going to eat but I don't think they're getting out much...There are tons of great places to eat at out here...I'm a big fan of sushi and have had sushi from San Diego, San Francisco, and all over the Northeast but found my favorite place of all time to be like 5 minutes away from my place in Durham...It's called Shiki sushi...There's two excellent places for Chinese takeout here in Durham that I know of personally and I'm sure there's others but one of them is Orient Garden (which I frequent about once every two weeks)...Can't remember the name of the other one...There's also tons of places in downtown Durham that offer everything from mexican, caribbean, thai, greek, brazilian, italian...I'm sure Raleigh has plenty as well but as I said, don't get thrown off by these people who claim the food out here sucks cause they are definitely not getting out enough...I hate that perception that people have about out here being all BBQ and such...That is not the case at all as there are plenty of urban places like Greensboro, Asheville, Charlotte, Wilmington, etc. that I'm sure has their own mix of great foods...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 10:12 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnene2k View Post
There are tons of great places to eat at out here...There's also tons of places in downtown Durham that offer everything from mexican, caribbean, thai, greek, brazilian, italian......
Names, please! I live in Morrisville and would gladly drive to Durham if someone could recommend places. Just thumbing through the Yellow Pages or the web and getting in your car on Saturday night to drive to some unknown restaurant is not an efficient way to find "good" restaurants.

Also, I didn't see anyone on this thread say that the food here "sucks". I think that some people, myself included, have only been here for a short time and are simply stating that they have yet to stumble upon a restaurant that they feel lives up to a standard set by a restaurant that they frequented in the past.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:21 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,432 times
Well, then, I'll give my faves for some categories:

Thai: Thai House, Raleigh. Shabashabu, Raleigh. Thai Palace, ChapelHill.
French: Bistro 607, Raleigh. Rue Cler, Durham. Provence, Carrboro.
Italian: Cafe Luna, Raleigh. Nina's, Raleigh. Pop's, Durham. Vespa, ChapelHill.
Chinese: Duck & Dumpling, Raleigh. Red Palace, Raleigh.
Irish: Tir Na Nog, Raleigh.
Mexican: El Rodeo, Triangle-wide.
Latin American: Blue Corn Cafe, Durham.
Indian: Royal India, Raleigh. Udupi, Cary.
Ethiopian: Abyssinia, Raleigh
Japanese: Sushi Blues, Raleigh
German/Polish: J Betski's, Raleigh
Mediterranean: Riviera, Raleigh
Cajun: Yancey's, Raleigh
Carribean: Jamaica Jamaica, Durham.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:06 PM

161 posts, read 602,101 times
Great list, Rob! In Raleigh, I would add:
Vietnamese: Dalat
Cuban/Argentinian: Oakwood Café
Middle Eastern: Neomonde
Mongolian: Bali Hai
Pan-Asian: Fins
Mexican: the taco stands at Watkin’s Flea Mkt or Raleigh Flea Mkt Mall
Chinese: Five Star
French: Bistro 607
Japanese: Sushi Tsune

Old 03-30-2007, 02:16 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,963,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin HW Engineer View Post
You weren't happy in Florida, New York or Jersey?
Tough crowd...
HA!!

Well I'm a bit of a commitment-phobe...and grew up in Jersey, done with it...love NYC and would move back if I hadn't found a job in Durham...would love to stay in FL but salaries/jobs for what I do are just not there.

Anyway you guys are great, thanks for all of the info. I will be gaining plenty of weight quite soon.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Names, please! I live in Morrisville and would gladly drive to Durham if someone could recommend places. Just thumbing through the Yellow Pages or the web and getting in your car on Saturday night to drive to some unknown restaurant is not an efficient way to find "good" restaurants.

Also, I didn't see anyone on this thread say that the food here "sucks". I think that some people, myself included, have only been here for a short time and are simply stating that they have yet to stumble upon a restaurant that they feel lives up to a standard set by a restaurant that they frequented in the past.
I never said that anyone on here said that...I simply stated that I hate how people badmouth places but don't know sh** in forums like the one you went on or some people on here...

Carribean: Carmens in Morrisville, Jamaica Jamaica in Durham
Chinese/Asian: Orient Garden in Durham, Shiki Sushi in Durham, New China Cafe in Durham
Brazilian: Chamas in Durham
American/Varietal: Tylers in Durham, The Federal in Durham, Magnolia Grill in Durham, Alivias in Durham, Nantucket Grill in Durham, Starlu in Durham
Thai: Thai Cafe in Durham, lemongrass in Raleigh, Sawasdee Thai in Raleigh, Cafe Zen in Durham
mediterranian: 115 Midtowne in Raleigh
Vietnamese: Hungs Bistro in Raleigh, Bahns Cuisine
Mongolian: Bai Hai in Durham

That's just some of the of the places...

Old 03-30-2007, 03:39 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnene2k View Post
I always see these threads about the Triangle area not having "good" food or how the food was awful...I am not sure where these people are going to eat but I don't think they're getting out much...

<snip>

...I'm sure Raleigh has plenty as well but as I said, don't get thrown off by these people who claim the food out here sucks cause they are definitely not getting out enough...I hate that perception that people have about out here being all BBQ and such...That is not the case at all as there are plenty of urban places like Greensboro, Asheville, Charlotte, Wilmington, etc. that I'm sure has their own mix of great foods...
Uh, ok.

How often must one go out to have an educated palette?

Anyway no-one said the food here sucks or is limited to southern style. We've found plenty of excellent places to eat, but again - read closely - the original poster asked about Asian cuisine.

Abbey Road's burgers are hard to beat anywhere. Tons of great Mexican restaurants around. Great sushi places. Excellent steakhouses. And the BBQ here does rule! We're still jonesing for good Chinese and will try recommendations posted here (we found Red Dragon very mediocre).

Old 03-30-2007, 06:12 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Thai: Thai House, Raleigh. Shabashabu, Raleigh. Thai Palace, ChapelHill.
French: Bistro 607, Raleigh. Rue Cler, Durham. Provence, Carrboro.
Italian: Cafe Luna, Raleigh. Nina's, Raleigh. Pop's, Durham. Vespa, ChapelHill.
Chinese: Duck & Dumpling, Raleigh. Red Palace, Raleigh.
Irish: Tir Na Nog, Raleigh.
Mexican: El Rodeo, Triangle-wide.
Latin American: Blue Corn Cafe, Durham.
Indian: Royal India, Raleigh. Udupi, Cary.
Ethiopian: Abyssinia, Raleigh
Japanese: Sushi Blues, Raleigh
German/Polish: J Betski's, Raleigh
Mediterranean: Riviera, Raleigh
Cajun: Yancey's, Raleigh
Carribean: Jamaica Jamaica, Durham.
Vietnamese: Dalat
Cuban/Argentinian: Oakwood Café
Middle Eastern: Neomonde
Mongolian: Bali Hai
Pan-Asian: Fins
Mexican: the taco stands at Watkin’s Flea Mkt or Raleigh Flea Mkt Mall
Chinese: Five Star
French: Bistro 607
Japanese: Sushi Tsune
Carribean: Carmens in Morrisville, Jamaica Jamaica in Durham
Chinese/Asian: Orient Garden in Durham, Shiki Sushi in Durham, New China Cafe in Durham
Brazilian: Chamas in Durham
American/Varietal: Tylers in Durham, The Federal in Durham, Magnolia Grill in Durham, Alivias in Durham, Nantucket Grill in Durham, Starlu in Durham
Thai: Thai Cafe in Durham, lemongrass in Raleigh, Sawasdee Thai in Raleigh, Cafe Zen in Durham
mediterranian: 115 Midtowne in Raleigh
Vietnamese: Hungs Bistro in Raleigh, Bahns Cuisine
Mongolian: Bai Hai in Durham
EXCELLENT list everyone. Thanks! I've condensed all of the suggestions here so that people can cut and paste these to their own computer, if they want to. We're going to start on this list tomorrow night. It should take us all year to get through it

Old 03-31-2007, 06:51 AM

[quote=tee-tee;516782]Uh, ok.

Anyway no-one said the food here sucks or is limited to southern style. We've found plenty of excellent places to eat, but again - read closely - the original poster asked about Asian cuisine.

[quote]

How else would you know if you like the food or not? Some people may say the food is good but if you don't go out and try it for yourself, you can't make an honest suggestion...Common sense...And if you read my post closely, I was making a general statement about posts on this forum or other forums and not necessarily this post or thread...I gave my choices for Asian cuisine as well as extras in case people reading this are wondering so I did read closely...

Old 03-31-2007, 06:54 AM

[quote=elnene2k;518749]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tee View Post
Uh, ok.

Come on...The answer should be common sense...How else would you know if you like the food or not? Some people may say the food is good but if you don't go out and try it for yourself, you can't make an honest suggestion...All I was saying is that some people claim that food out here "sucks" when they've obviously haven't been to the right places or just have not gone out and seen the Triangle enough to find these places...I never said you or the next person on this thread said this...And if you read my post closely, I was making a general statement about posts on this forum or other forums and not necessarily this post or thread...I gave my choices for Asian cuisine as well as extras in case people reading this are wondering about other chaoices so I did read closely...And if you read closely again, the original poster mentioned something about going to a different forum and saying there isn't much of a selection or enough good food out here basically saying it "sucks"...

Last edited by elnene2k; 03-31-2007 at 07:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary