Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:02 PM

161 posts, read 579,852 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am hoping y'all can be of help. I am currently living in an apartment and I'm looking to purchase a townhome sometime this year, since interest rates are good and they have the tax credit for first time home buyers. Here is some info about myself and what I am looking for:

-I am 23 yrs old, female, single; I would be living alone
-I work in the RTP
-Currently I am living in Durham, near the 55/54 intersection; I am able to get from my door to my desk at work in 15 minutes. I really love being close, but I would settle for door to desk in 20-30 minutes.
-I am not into the bar scene and I don't party
-my price range is $150K-189K
-I would like a garage, but it's not absolutely necessary
-my coworker told me that I don't want to live in Morrisville because that is where all the Indian people live (and she is Indian so I figured her opinion is valid); any opinions on this?
-I would like the townhome to have a little privacy in the back (maybe a fence or something separating the back porch area)
-someplace safe; I would like to be able to go outside and take a walk in the neighboorhood without having to look over my shoulder
-the places I've been looking are in Cary, Morrisville, Brier Creek area, North Raleigh area
-my concern with Brier Creek area is that it is too close to the airport. I was in Kohl's once and the whole building shook when an airplane flew over.
-my concern with North Raleigh is that it will take too long to get to work...how is traffic on 540 during rush hour?

Thanks in advance....I look forward to reading your opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 08:18 PM

206 posts, read 595,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ech86 View Post
-my coworker told me that I don't want to live in Morrisville because that is where all the Indian people live (and she is Indian so I figured her opinion is valid); any opinions on this?
are you afraid of the violent curry-spreading Indian gangs?

morrisville is home to lots of engineers, scientists and other professionals that work in RTP, among them Indians (there definitely is an active Indian community in Morrisville and Cary), other south/east asians and plenty of people from other diverse backgrounds. you should ask your friend why she's recommending you against Morrisville because "where all the Indian people live" is about as useless to you and unnecessarily dare-i-say-racist/stereotyping as "don't live in East Raleigh-- it's where all the black people live".

Indians have much more of a problem living around other Indians in the same neighborhood than anyone else. What she sees as a problem/inconvenience might be a non-issue to you. I'm serious: ask her for more reasons. I have some friends in Morrisville that live there because it's super-close to their work places and quiet and such with quick access to both Durham/Chapel Hill and to downtown Raleigh. His problem with Morrisville though is that he can hear every plane that flies over. But he's also really close to the airport so...yeah.

P.S. Have you looked at realtor.com?

Old 04-13-2009, 06:24 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 8 days ago)

43,090 posts, read 76,670,112 times
Morrisville:
You will have plane traffic overhead.
McCrimmon at the Park (new construction), Breckenridge, Downing Glen, Downing Village.
Shiloh Grove(new construction, no garage), Hamlet in the Park (No Garage)

Cary:
Carpenter Village and Legacy at Carpenter Village.
Camden Townhomes at Cary Park

All will offer easy access to RTP and very safe environments.

Indian population and culture should be the least of your worries.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:18 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,215,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Breckenridge
I have a friend who works at Sony in RTP and lives in Breckenridge. That place is so conveinet to his work it is ridiculous. His townhome has a garage and a deck. I beleive the townhomes in that area are in you price range (around the $170's).

I'm sure the other places mentioned are nice too, I am only familiar with Breckenridge and wanted to add my 2 cents.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:22 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,163,179 times
I'd suggest Morrisville if you want to live close to RTP. Or Durham. Or Cary or North Raleigh.

And although it is nice to have others' OPINIONS, once you begin driving around and looking at neighborhoods, you'll make your decisions on YOUR OWN OPINION.

Let the fun begin!

Vicki

Old 04-13-2009, 08:27 AM

560 posts, read 948,758 times
I live in Morrisville and I am not Indian. It is convenient to work (RTP).

Old 04-13-2009, 09:12 AM

78 posts, read 375,794 times
Check out Cornerstone Park, behind Carmax in NW Raleigh. I currently am renting a townhouse there and like it a lot. Very convenient. You can hear planes every now and then but nothing where the house shakes or anything.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:29 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,163,179 times
Cornerstone Park is considered one of the more desireable neighborhoods in North Raleigh with great access to 540 and therefore, convenient to RTP.

Vicki

Old 04-13-2009, 06:28 PM

161 posts, read 579,852 times
Thank you to everyone for your responses! I have not been to look in North Raleigh yet, so I will head up that way.

I feel like I've looked at so many subdivisions that everything is beginning to look the same!

Old 04-14-2009, 11:08 AM

240 posts, read 1,287,445 times
I second Cornerstone Park. It is a nice neighborhod and convient to RTP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary