U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-30-2007, 09:05 PM

Location: Work in Gwinnett, Hall, North Fulton & Forsyth Counties
5 posts, read 14,441 times

Advertisements

You really need to have a virtual tour where it shows 360 and not just a lot of pictures. Buyers can line up homes to look at on
Realtor.com by virtual tours. They look at these first.

As far as not giving you enough time to leave the home, I know it is hard. Sometimes I cannot give much notice because I have buyers from out of town for the day. We have decided to see certain homes, but while out driving around we come across a home for some reason that was not on our list. I call to see if we can see the home before we leave the area. It is important to let as many buyers see your home as possible. There are some sellers who say it is not a good time and we move on. The out of town buyers who needed to make an offer that weekend will not get a chance to see that home again. Those sellers may have missed out on a buyer.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-10-2007 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: advertising
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 06:49 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,007,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
I'm curious what you mean about your agent blaming it on the schools. Does he mean that no one wants to move there b/c the schools are so bad?
She said that people who are looking to relocate to the area are not as interested in Durham as other areas due to the poor schools. And that if they are going to Durham, they can chooses better schools than ours. She said that's the main feedback she's heard from other agents about why they aren't showing our house. That they say it looks like a great house with a nice yard, but they don't like the schools.

We are in Southern HS district and it's not so hot. Most people in our neighborhood tend to have young children and will move when their kids get to be about middle school age. The only ones I can think of who didn't, one family is homeschooling, and the other kids go to Durham School of the Arts, which is a great magnet school, but hard to get into.

Old 03-31-2007, 07:45 AM

3,021 posts, read 7,620,392 times
Sorry to hear you're having trouble, ADVentice. I have a couple of friends who live in that area. They got their homes for very low prices (about 30% lower than similar homes in southwest Durham) and are sure that it's because of the school situation. Neither of them have kids, so it doesn't bother them.

About a month ago, Indigoblue created a thread about the Durham school system. There's a link in it that shows some surprising statistics on the school system as a whole.
South Durham Schools

Old 04-01-2007, 10:28 AM

225 posts, read 700,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Excellent MLS pictures and strong presence on the internet are key. Since most buyers see the house for the first time on the internet, you have to grab their interest from there."

There is no substitute for good photos. None.
Unfortunately some homes or rooms are hard to shoot.
I'm thinking my next camera will be a wide-angle for small rooms.
Every listing should have the maximum 10 photos on the MLS. Any less reflects on the property, property owner, or the Listing Agent.
And the agent's website should have many more.
And "Just say 'NO' to cameraphones."

As a soon-2-be buyer I toally agree with this. Taking it one step further, I really like the listings that have the 360 Tours--it gives you an even better 'feel' for the house & property. The other day I happen to find a FSBO with their home on YouTube--they literally walked throught the home with a video camera & narrated it, really nice. I would of really been interested in seeing that home if it wasn't so far away.

The last time we bought a home (back in the "day"), the internet was not utilized for home listing yet, very few agents used it for that purpose. Now, it is great to preview a listing and be able to see if it's worth a further drive-by. The more pictures/discriptions, etc...you can have on your home, the better!

Good Luck!

Old 04-01-2007, 10:53 AM

607 posts, read 1,729,274 times
As a buyer from out of town. I depend 100% on the photos on the MLS. I would look at the ones with virtual tours first, then go to the ones with lots of pictures. I never even opened the ones without pictures. If they were yucky pictures or fuzzy, I just clicked to the next house. Kitchen pictures are also a big thing for me. I wanted to see everything I could about the kitchen. Also backyard pictures. If someone wants a specific kind of backyard, it helps to see it.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:04 AM

225 posts, read 700,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
Kitchen pictures are also a big thing for me. I wanted to see everything I could about the kitchen. Also backyard pictures.

Yes! Kitchen pix's are really important to me too....and bathrooms!

Old 04-01-2007, 04:39 PM

959 posts, read 3,283,842 times
We were one of those buyers who only had one weekend to shop. One home we tried to see had no showings on the Sunday so we never did see it. It was one I had really wanted to see too. Too bad for them

Here are the ways in which I reject a house for viewing among those that pop up under my criteria (and this will of course vary some among buyers, note we have four small children):
- too few photos - my assumption is the house looks so horrible the agent just did his/her best to get the best shots
- no photo of the kitchen - that's just suspicious - must be a hideous kitchen
- too little workspace in kitchen
- small lot with no photo of back yard - makes me think it backs to more houses a few ft away
- lots of wallpaper
- small family room
- no living room OR office

Things I try to ignore but often can't:
- dark carpets - including dark tan
- even just ONE room with wallpaper
- tons of wood accents - looks 80s to me
- beige 80s appliances
- huge 80s curtains or decor or furniture
- clutter on the mls photos - sometimes it's so bad you can't even focus on the room - and while I'm on the topic why on earth do agents sometimes leave just ONE distracting item in the photo - MOVE the high chair MOVE the box MOVE the pet, which leads me to...
- When the agent says on listing "fenced yard great for Fido" You've just alienated me b/c I'm not a dog person and my husband has pet allergies. I'm also already imagining what Fido has done to the carpets in the home, among other things.

There was one house that was really really nice and I just kept telling the agent and my husband that I couldn't appreciate the house b/c of the "art" that was in the home. It was SO distracting...and disturbing. I'm so glad our kids weren't with us. One was really violent with blood gushing out of someone. Another I remember had a charcoal sketch of a naked headless person (in the foyer no less) with a great deal of detail Eww. It was such a wonderful house but I could not form an emotional attachment to it AT ALL.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:02 PM

189 posts, read 533,037 times
My husband and I were in the area last week for 4 days of non stop searching. We found the house & neighborhood of our dreams! The following day we checked out the schools for our children and the Middle School was so awful it would have been shut down in New York. The schools are very important to us and now we have totally ruled out anything that is not in the Wake County School District. Maybe you are having a problem because of where the schools are located.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:36 PM

473 posts, read 1,579,056 times
What's that got to do with real estate agents ?

Old 04-02-2007, 10:38 AM

576 posts, read 2,179,484 times
His complaints about agents related to short notice for showings and more specifically the NO SHOWS without any notice.

I do agree that the centralized scheduling seems a big disadvantage for the sellers. In Rochester, NY our agents have to schedule everything directly with the listing agent. A lot more work for the agents themselves but sellers don't get sprung upon with a 15 minute notice for a showing, at least I didn't. I did have a couple of no-shows with no notice and it is truly annoying, particularly since I have 3 small children and would skip naps, move lunch times, etc. just to schedule the showings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary