U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-13-2009, 09:14 AM

6 posts, read 28,589 times
Default microwave over range height

I recently replaced our microwave which was original to our house (built 14-15 yrs go).

We then decided to upgrade our electric oven which sits below our gas cooktop (which is all below the microwave). In doing so, it appears that the builder installed the gas line to the cooktop behind the stove. We want to move that but in doing so, our gas guy told us that he couldn't move it because there is a new law that says that the microwave should be at least 24 inches from the top of the cooktop, where ours is around 14 inches.

Has anyone had experience with this? Is this true? What can be done about this? Obviously the setup in our kitchen is as it was when built, just with newer appliances. We don't want to redo our kitchen, and we already bought the stove and want to replace the cooktop as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 09:40 AM

748 posts, read 1,520,529 times
Our microwave/fan sits about 18 inches aboce gas range. We have a GE unit and the fan goes on automatic when there is to much heat. House built in 2007. I guess the law wants to make sure the flame or heat does not melt the microwave. Maybe you can look for a low profile microwave. Sorry not sure if the law is applicable in 2009.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:46 AM

yeah, we just replaced the microwave and actually really like it...does a great job and I don't think it's that in particular...that is, we would not have been in compliance per se. I was reading on another forum where they said that the law said that you couldn't have things combustible above it, but that microwaves built for over the range were not combustible for that very fact. I'm not sure who or what to believe and don't want to start tearing up our kitchen just to fit an oven. At this point we're potentially having to move a microwave, rip out cabinets, get a newer stove, etc which doesn't seem practical at all!

Old 04-13-2009, 10:36 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,671,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnEngineer View Post
I recently replaced our microwave which was original to our house (built 14-15 yrs go).

We then decided to upgrade our electric oven which sits below our gas cooktop (which is all below the microwave). In doing so, it appears that the builder installed the gas line to the cooktop behind the stove. We want to move that but in doing so, our gas guy told us that he couldn't move it because there is a new law that says that the microwave should be at least 24 inches from the top of the cooktop, where ours is around 14 inches.

Has anyone had experience with this? Is this true? What can be done about this? Obviously the setup in our kitchen is as it was when built, just with newer appliances. We don't want to redo our kitchen, and we already bought the stove and want to replace the cooktop as well.
I think the law is in regards to combustable materials, which if your microwave is designed to be above your range/cooktop, it is not considered combustable.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:40 AM

coltank - thanks. that is what it would seem to me. I can understand that some people would want more room for the pots etc, but it would seem like the micro was made for that and therefore not combustible.

Does anyone out there know if this law is a cary specific thing or a north carolina thing? I am new to the area and this is the first I have heard of this. I'm trying to determine if we need to do more work to the kitchen to use what we already have.

Thanks for the answers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary