Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 03:23 PM

70 posts, read 144,250 times

Advertisements

I'm a UNC alum who's trying to nudge her bright 16-year-old son to consider becoming a Tarheel. We have arranged to visit Chapel Hill on Thursday, April 16th, and I wanted to take him to hear some live music. He's a guitar buff, likes DMB, Jack Johnson and Matt Costa (among many others -- I mention these to give an idea of the types of music he likes). I know the places I used to go to might not let a middle-age mother bring her teenage son, but I wonder if any of you might have a recommendation. We'll be traveling from Waxhaw, NC (near the SC line), and are planning to stay the night and tour the campus Friday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 04:39 PM

115 posts, read 395,896 times
John Scofield's Piety Street Band is playing at Carrboro Arts Center on Saturday, 4/18...don't know if you were planning on staying through the weekend, but I'd imagine that would be an underage-friendly venue. If he's a guitar buff, he needs to see John Scofield. It will be much different than the stuff you mentioned he likes...jazz/blues fusion, and this album is heavy on the gospel. Scofield is one of the best jazz guitarists alive. It's a bit pricey, $40 a pop though. I'd definitely go myself if it was less.

Carrboro Arts Center

And a nice little mini-documentary on Scofield's latest album and the band he's touring with now.

Piety Street Band

Old 04-13-2009, 05:30 PM

WOW! That video has me wishing we could rearrange our trip to be there Saturday night instead of Thursday night! I loved it! But realistically, we probably have to stick with our original plan. Sigh.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:31 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
I've got my niece into the Cave for their early show before (telling the doorman she's in high school visiting), so they are worth a call before you come up just to check if you can do the same. Typically have an early show that starts around 7:30 and a late one that starts around 10.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:33 PM

646 posts, read 2,050,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotsamarama View Post
I'm a UNC alum who's trying to nudge her bright 16-year-old son to consider becoming a Tarheel. We have arranged to visit Chapel Hill on Thursday, April 16th, and I wanted to take him to hear some live music. He's a guitar buff, likes DMB, Jack Johnson and Matt Costa (among many others -- I mention these to give an idea of the types of music he likes). I know the places I used to go to might not let a middle-age mother bring her teenage son, but I wonder if any of you might have a recommendation. We'll be traveling from Waxhaw, NC (near the SC line), and are planning to stay the night and tour the campus Friday.
You might want to see whose playing at the Cat's Cradle....we've taken several teenagers there.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:14 PM

115 posts, read 395,896 times
Cat's Cradle sometimes has shows designated all ages, sometimes 18+, sometimes 21+. I think there's some hip hop there at the end of the week.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:58 AM

744 posts, read 1,262,921 times
If you and he like 80s-style op electronica you should check out the show at Local 506 on Thursday night.

LOCAL 506 Shows!!!

Old 04-14-2009, 12:50 PM

Thanks! Yeah, Cat's Cradle has a hip hop artist, which is not my thing, middle-aged woman that I am. The Local 506 has potential, but its website says everyone must 18 or older, so my son doesn't qualify. I appreciate these suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary