Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 06:30 PM

9 posts, read 18,750 times

Advertisements

i was also thinking about cary....does anyone have input on that? i will be coming down in may to check things out, does anyone have suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 06:35 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Cary is attached to Raleigh. Both are very nice places to live. Check out both when you are here.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:26 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskatiee View Post
i was also thinking about cary....does anyone have input on that? i will be coming down in may to check things out, does anyone have suggestions?
I too moved here from upstate NY...western NY actually...it's so much nicer here, beautiful weather, much more going on, BUT, and it is a huge one, DO NOT I repeat DO NOT move here or anywhere for that matter without already having a job. It is stressful enough without adding that to the mix. What I did was set up interviews from home and took a drive down to interview a couple times. This is the only way to go.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:51 AM

23 posts, read 67,905 times
If you have a degree in human development you might look to working at childcare centers as well. These normally offer childcare for your child as a benefit. As well there are non profits in the area that subsidize your income with a $750-1000 grants every 6 months if you go this route. Expect an income of around $26-28 before those subsidies. This may not be ideal but it's a foot in the door until you find something better.

I know Bright Horizons is almost always hiring and normally pays their employees money to get applicants. Their Duke campus in particular likely won't be affected by the economy as only Duke employee kids go there and there is a massive waiting list. The Chapel Hill area also is a good place to look for preschool related jobs. Most the population has money for childcare or their childcare expenses are subsidized by the university. If you find something there I would suggest looking to live outside of Chapel Hill. If you go right outside city / school limits things are much cheaper but you still get the benefits of living near resources without living in a sketchy area. There are apartment communities and small single family homes to be rented for $600-750 a month. They may be remote in appearance but you'll only be a few miles from everything.

I agree with others though, find a job first! Your a recent college graduate looking at an area with 8 colleges (UNC, Duke, NC State, NC Central, Shaw, St. Aug, Meredith, Peace) which means there are a lot of recent graduates here in similar positions. Your experience ought to help though. Good Luck!

P.S. Look at the surrounding area too. You will have less competition from recent graduates in areas like Hillsborough and Mebane. They are on the outskirts of the triangle with 20-30 minute drives to Durham but the cost of living is much lower and the populations tend to be very welcoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary