Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 12:09 PM

331 posts, read 1,311,364 times

Advertisements

Chances are good that this will gone on through Summer into Fall. If they spent that much money on something, they are not going to get tired of it for a while. They will be outside every chance they get, swimming and barbecuing and having parties. My friend did the same thing, they spent $70,000 and the only thing that slowed them down was the increase in their electric bill. But that was many many months after it was built.

And once its done, not so simple to just go in and rearrange stones and rocks to change the flow of the water. Its done...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 05:50 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Hmmm, let's think Canada geese.

Most people try to get rid of them. What might attract them to a pool deck?

As you may not want to know, the average adult goose defecates 40 times daily with many droppings equal to those from a foofoo dog.

Might be a final resort, but I didn't tell you to do it.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:36 PM

167 posts, read 566,974 times
in high school, some kids put some (ok. . . lots of) laundry detergent in the fountain. i'm just sayin. . . .

Old 04-16-2009, 09:41 PM

134 posts, read 410,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I've been "behind the Iron Curtain" when there was one (in what was then East Germany and Czechoslovakia), and I agree. Sometimes you have to see the "other side" before you really realize how wonderful it is to be able to make choices without having your neighbors or the government telling you "No!"

It's America.
This may come as a shock to you, but you can choose to have a pool in both the Czech Republic and Slovakia. You can have a mountain themed waterfall. And golden garden gnomes. You could under communism, as well.

Not to get off topic. It's just silly to write something like, "Thank goodness we're in America so we can buy a gaudy swimming pool!" Outside of North Korea, just about anyone in the world can have a pool if they have the cash.

--JC

Old 04-16-2009, 10:09 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Oh, you COULD under communism, could you? Well, this may come as a shock to you, you COULDN'T. I'm not talking about NOW, I'm talking about before the wall fell. The Berlin Wall, have you heard of it? When the Czech Republic and Slovakia were: Czechoslovakia (and I also went to East Germany).

When I was there at that time, you couldn't own your own toilet. The government owned everything. And if you had anything in your possession, your neighbor wanted it, too.

The government also told you where to work. If you didn't have a job, one was assigned to you.

You couldn't own your own business, either. There were no businesses, only government-owned ones. We did go to a secret after-hours bar. It was an unmarked door, and everything was dark. The owner would have been put in jail if the government found out.

When we first arrived, we had to register with the local police. No one in town could travel anywhere without the permission of the government.

At lunch time, the government-owned restaurants would open at 12 and close at 1. One hour. You'd rush in, get your potato, cabbage, and pork chop, and watery fruit drink and sit down at a long picnic table with strangers. The restaurant employees were MISERABLE. If they did poorly at that job, they'd get another one from the government.

You had one hour to eat, and then that was it. You were out of there.

They had department stores where there was cheap clothing displayed BEHIND roped off areas. Those clothes were from the West and only Western money could pay for them. Again, the employees were miserable to the customers. There was no capitalism, no reason to be any better than another store.

There were STILL bombed out buildings EVERYWHERE left over from the war. There were no developers to make them better.

The government owned EVERYTHING.

Going there was like going back in time. It was a totally black and white world (literally). The only bits of color were political posters. Everything else was covered in soot. There were no pollution controls. Waves of sulphur in huge clouds would roll down the street.

You'd put your clothes out to dry, and in the morning, they smelled 100 percent like sulphur.

The air was poison.

There were few cars, and all of them were decades old.

We saw people in long lines. They were buying strawberries, a rarity.

When we came over, we brought bananas and chocolate -- two things rarely seen. We bought some Communist chocolate, and it tasted like dust. It looked like it had melted and hardened multiple times.

People who USED to own property no longer did. They paid the government.

The people we stayed with used to wait for hours at the bakery and at the butcher. They could buy only so much at a time, and it wasn't very much -- enough for the day.

The people we stayed with -- he was a truck driver and sometimes was able to drive to West Germany. He was allowed to do this only because he was married and had children, so they knew he'd come back.

In his travels, he'd pick up little souvenirs (a little wooden windmill from the Netherlands), and they were proudly displayed in his home. He had the RARE ability to buy something that few of his neighbors ever could.

When a young couple showed off their "apartment" to us -- a room over a garage, and proudly showed off their bed, one bookcase, and a tiny TV, I sat on the bed and cried like a baby. They deserved so much more. They were such good people. But because of the government and the way the government worked, they had very little. Every day was a struggle.

So, no, they could NOT at that time purchase pools, fountains, or gnomes of any type. The government was not in the pools, fountains, or gnome business.

Of course, capitalism has now flooded the former Eastern bloc countries, and that is a wonderful thing.

So please forgive me if I reflected for a moment my gratefulness that I am an American and never had to suffer as people in those countries once did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChristmas View Post
This may come as a shock to you, but you can choose to have a pool in both the Czech Republic and Slovakia. You can have a mountain themed waterfall. And golden garden gnomes. You could under communism, as well.

Not to get off topic. It's just silly to write something like, "Thank goodness we're in America so we can buy a gaudy swimming pool!" Outside of North Korea, just about anyone in the world can have a pool if they have the cash.

--JC

Old 04-22-2009, 10:56 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,087 times
Default relax and ask

Just talk to them and ask if they wouldnt mind shutting it off when they are not using it or at night so that it doesnt cause someone to not sleep. Be sure to let them know that you will not be a whiner about it in the future but this would help you. I imagine that they shouldnt have an issue with at night when not in use.

I believe that issues can be worked out without going to an HOA, people used to solve issues with these things ya know.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:59 PM

116 posts, read 254,557 times
My guess is if the OP does not currently have a relationship with the neighbor this is not going to be the catalyst for a good relationship to start, regardless of how careful they are with what they say. And the OP has already suggested they are uncomfortable with the idea. And I think thats fine for them. Its not like their neighbor knocked on their door and gave them any courtesy in telling them what they were planning to build. So I don't think its necessarily wrong to go to the HOA, at least to inquire as to what their rights as neighbors are.

I don't have a HOA to go to and don't know exactly what they are set up to oversee. But I wouldn't expect going to the HOA is the same as going to the police or the town. What is the downside of the neighbor with the pool being contacted by the HOA? It might make for a more neutral situation in that a letter or contact from the HOA might be less confrontational or uncomfortable than directly from the neighbor.

In a similar situation I tried to politely speak to my neighbor. They built what they built and wanted to keep it exactly as it was. While I agree that is a sad commentary on what being a neighbor is all about, if the OP wants resolution to the issue I think they should go through the proper channels and request exactly what it is they want to happen, ie can you ask them to turn the waterfall off when no one is using the pool or after dark. Then let the neighbor with the pool come reach out to you, if they would even know who complained which they shoudn't if the HOA handles it right, and apologize to you for your inconvenience. If you don't think they would ever reach out to you you shouldn't for a minute feel bad about contacted the HOA.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,052 times
I'm having the same problem now. My neighbor has an above ground cheap pool and he has devised a waterfall out of PVC pipe. I am going on year 3 now and have tried the "talk nice" thing many times. I've even begged. They run it 24 hrs a day 365 days a year. They tried a stupid muffler thing which helped a little, but they gave that up this year. They think it makes the water cleaner. They have lived next door for over 20 yrs and have never been neighborly to anyone. We would all invite them to the block parties and they wouldn't come.

So, they have the waterfall in the back yard and Spanish music blasting out of the garage in the front. I'm at the end of my rope.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:00 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
<sarcasm> But whatever you do, don't move to a neighborhood with an HOA. They're evil, remember?! </sarcasm>

Seriously, this ^^^ is why I love my HOA.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:12 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
This thread is hilarious. I so wish we could find out what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary