Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 03:29 PM

85 posts, read 451,630 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys!

My next door neighbors just completed what we joking refer to as the "Scottsdale Hyatt Resort Pool" complete with flagstone patio, hot tub, pergola, outdoor kitchen, and faux mountain with waterfall. It has been the talk the talk of the neighborhood....it really is beautiful and has caused quite the buzz while it was being installed. It is the first private pool in out neighbor hood and as I described it's really amazing...easily a $100,000+ or more.

The main issue that I have is with the waterfall. They run it non stop most days and it is loud...really loud. Think of the sound your bath tub makes when you have it on full blast. Our house is above theirs, we see right down into their yard/pool from our screened in porch (as well as most rooms on that side). It is muffled with the windows closed but open the door to the porch or any window and it is easily heard (even over the TV for example, while I'm making dinner). At first it was kinda relaxing, now it just feels like we are being submitted to some type of water torture. We are not close with these neighbors and I'm not sure what to do...am I over reacting? Let it go or call the homeowners about a noise violation? Will this pool extravaganza impact our property value/appeal to future buyers? I kept thinking I'd get use to it but the opposite is happening! Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 03:32 PM

214 posts, read 695,134 times
Buy a very large telescope and leave it on your porch aimed right at their pool. Even better would be 2 telescopes with folding chairs and a cooler between them. This will cause them to stop using the pool and they will eventually turn off the waterfall to save money.

its foolproof, really.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:40 PM

792 posts, read 4,487,742 times
Why don't you try talking to your neighbor about it? Maybe they don't realize that the noise is so intrusive.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:41 PM

850 posts, read 4,740,207 times
We have the same issue. Well, not a huge pool, but our neighbors built a fish pond and waterfall and we can hear it from our bedroom window. It doesn't really bother me too bad though, but if it ever does, probably bringing it up with the HOA is the best route to take. That's what they're there for.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:09 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,102,359 times
LOL...that reminds me of an episode of Desperate Housewives where the two male neighbors put up a waterfall/sculpture in their in their yard and Susan goes nuts listening to it! They don't have an HOA so they form one just to make them get rid of it!!!!

Old 04-15-2009, 04:18 PM

502 posts, read 1,654,654 times
Just close your eyes and pretend you're oceanfront

Seriously, you said they just got it. They're probably running it because of the newness and excitement. They'll probably shut it off when not in use once the water bill comes. If not, just talk to them. You don't want to cause any problems, especially since they're right behind you. Otherwise you'll never get invited to the pool parties...

Old 04-15-2009, 04:20 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkburk View Post
Hi Guys!

My next door neighbors just completed what we joking refer to as the "Scottsdale Hyatt Resort Pool" complete with flagstone patio, hot tub, pergola, outdoor kitchen, and faux mountain with waterfall. It has been the talk the talk of the neighborhood....it really is beautiful and has caused quite the buzz while it was being installed. It is the first private pool in out neighbor hood and as I described it's really amazing...easily a $100,000+ or more.

The main issue that I have is with the waterfall. They run it non stop most days and it is loud...really loud. Think of the sound your bath tub makes when you have it on full blast. Our house is above theirs, we see right down into their yard/pool from our screened in porch (as well as most rooms on that side). It is muffled with the windows closed but open the door to the porch or any window and it is easily heard (even over the TV for example, while I'm making dinner). At first it was kinda relaxing, now it just feels like we are being submitted to some type of water torture. We are not close with these neighbors and I'm not sure what to do...am I over reacting? Let it go or call the homeowners about a noise violation? Will this pool extravaganza impact our property value/appeal to future buyers? I kept thinking I'd get use to it but the opposite is happening! Thoughts?
This is really a comment and doesn't address your question and I apologize for that, but I just had to mention it.

Do you know how stupid it is that these people have a waterfall coming out of their faux mountain? I see this ALL THE TIME. Water NEVER, NEVER, EVER runs up-hill. Never. Ever. And yet you see these big lumps of faux rock sitting on top of the ground with waterfalls coming out of them. It is so stupid. Asinine, actually. It looks cheap and tacky.

You might mention this to them. LOL (not that they would care). You might tell them also that pretentious displays of over-consumption is sooooo 90s.

Good luck to you. I hate inconsiderate neighbors.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-15-2009, 04:27 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,157,960 times
hit them in the head, giving them amnesia, and then convince them that it's actually your house. because that sounds sweet, and i would love to live there! or at least don't call the HOA, because you're never going to get invited over...

Old 04-15-2009, 04:31 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,169,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
Why don't you try talking to your neighbor about it? Maybe they don't realize that the noise is so intrusive.
+1, and quick rep points to you.

Mike

Old 04-15-2009, 04:31 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,556 times
I agree once they see their water bill it should become a non issue If it continues after a month or two one of two things can happen: you'll either get used to the noise and not even know its on, or if its still bugging you I'd just politely go up to the neighbors and talk to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary