Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 01:55 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Often the young don't have the experience of time
Often the old have ignored the time they have experienced
Huh? What are you trying to say?

Old 05-01-2009, 02:00 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
A true economic analysis of a housing "investment" has to look at more than just asset value over time. There are things like tax savings from property tax and mortgage interest deductions, imputed rent, etc. It's not quite as simple as saying "I bought it for X, sold it for Y, therefore the benefit to me is Y-X."

And of course, people make investments that are not expected to increase in value, but still have economic benefit (e.g., dividends, tax losses, depreciation deductions, etc.) And then there are assets that actually generate "losses" and yet still throw off a positive cash flow.
The laughable reality is that even though my old house has probably declined 100K from when I sold it, it is still bringing in about 3 times what I paid for it. The house was immaculate as were my neighbors as was the community. If you didn't keep it up you were in big trouble. No boats, no rec vehicles and the lawns all mowed and the housing colors all uniform. Were the covenants a reasonable trade off? For this retired transplant you better believe it. Had it not been for the covenants I might have still been working on my 60th birthday.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:02 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The laughable reality is that even though my old house has probably declined 100K from when I sold it, it is still bringing in about 3 times what I paid for it. The house was immaculate as were my neighbors as was the community. If you didn't keep it up you were in big trouble. No boats, no rec vehicles and the lawns all mowed and the housing colors all uniform. Were the covenants a reasonable trade off? For this retired transplant you better believe it. Had it not been for the covenants I might have still been working on my 60th birthday.
Sounds like a good investment!

Old 05-01-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Huh? What are you trying to say?
Sometimes people don't have longevity in market to see the long term trend and value.
Sometimes people just ignore what has happened in the many years they have lived.

It is hard to be retired and have owned a home for a long time and to not have a mortgage payment and not appreciated the investment value of home ownership. Even if you are still living in your old home and have the mortgage paid off that is a biggie. If you are trying to sell in this market to retire you know your neighbors are impacting that choice if you want to sell cash out and move on.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a good investment!
Yup that was my other point I was trying to be nice and agree with you without being negative to someone else.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:35 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needcaffeine View Post
Thanks to this thread, as part of my home search, if a property has a HOA, it is automatically disqualified.
Well, it's good that you did such extensive research before disqualifying half the houses in the Triangle (and a ton of really nice neighborhoods).

Old 05-01-2009, 08:28 PM

201 posts, read 611,472 times
HOA's are an issue that can go to the personality of the buyer. Many folks are not comfortable signing a contract with a corporate entity where they feel they are forfeiting many of their property owner rights. Yes, CC&R's can vary greatly and it is the responsibility of the buyer to read and agree or walk. It's the subjectivity of the boards that many are not comfortable with. I've been there and am done with HOA's. Had to experience it to know they're not for me.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:01 PM

206 posts, read 596,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
Well, it's good that you did such extensive research before disqualifying half the houses in the Triangle (and a ton of really nice neighborhoods).
Glad you think so. When I buy a house, I want to live in it knowing that it is MY house and I am free to do whatever I want, within reason. I'm not going to sign my life away to a bunch of old ballsacks that have nothing better to do with their lives.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:21 PM

646 posts, read 2,050,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needcaffeine View Post
Glad you think so. When I buy a house, I want to live in it knowing that it is MY house and I am free to do whatever I want, within reason. I'm not going to sign my life away to a bunch of old ballsacks that have nothing better to do with their lives.
That is why you need to read the restrictions very carefully....really.....most are very normal and hardly restrictive. Yes, some are over the top, so you avoid those, but to dismiss all HOAs because of those few....well...it's short sighted to say the least.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:40 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Our covenants say 1 dog and 1 cat are allowed per house yet the president has 3 dogs. The HOA here doesn't do jack but take the $$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary