Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 08:49 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Yup that was my other point I was trying to be nice and agree with you without being negative to someone else.
I thought maybe I was the old guy you referenced.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:59 AM

206 posts, read 596,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
That is why you need to read the restrictions very carefully....really.....most are very normal and hardly restrictive. Yes, some are over the top, so you avoid those, but to dismiss all HOAs because of those few....well...it's short sighted to say the least.
I actually did go look at 4 houses that had HOAs and disqualified them for reasons other than the HOA, but not to say the HOA didn't play a huge factor. I spent last week at a dinner with my fiancee's boss and coworkers and we expressed our skepticism of HOAs and none of them had anything nice to say about theirs, except one couple that had managed to get on the HOA so they were able to manipulate the rules and regulations to their liking.

I probably don't understand the value of a HOA because I live in a nice and expensive neighborhood (currently renting anyway) and no one is doing anything stupid that I have to worry about. However, given my life choices (2 dogs, want chickens, want to garden), I see most HOAs as being a bunch of you-know-whats. But like everything else, one man's poison is another man's meat. I hope my attitude doesn't bite me in the ass and I end up next door to someone that decided to build a submarine in their backyard.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:12 AM

646 posts, read 2,049,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needcaffeine View Post
I actually did go look at 4 houses that had HOAs and disqualified them for reasons other than the HOA, but not to say the HOA didn't play a huge factor. I spent last week at a dinner with my fiancee's boss and coworkers and we expressed our skepticism of HOAs and none of them had anything nice to say about theirs, except one couple that had managed to get on the HOA so they were able to manipulate the rules and regulations to their liking.

I probably don't understand the value of a HOA because I live in a nice and expensive neighborhood (currently renting anyway) and no one is doing anything stupid that I have to worry about. However, given my life choices (2 dogs, want chickens, want to garden), I see most HOAs as being a bunch of you-know-whats. But like everything else, one man's poison is another man's meat. I hope my attitude doesn't bite me in the ass and I end up next door to someone that decided to build a submarine in their backyard.
Yes, it you want to have a farm, a HOA is not going to be for you. However, I have no desire to live next to chickens, so while Wake Forest may have bowed to some sort of pressure and caved to allow them, I am very happy that I live in an HOA that does not. (It has no limits on cared for domestic pets (they can't be chained outside full time) and gardens however.)

Why aren't you looking at rural areas if you want a farm? A subdivision is not what you need.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:15 AM

I don't want a farm. I want 2 chickens. It's not a priority, just a would-be-nice-to-have. Anyway. Doesn't matter. We're going way off topic. I'll stop posting here before I get smacked with the mod stick.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:51 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times
HOA is great for cities when the stupid homeowners provide streets, lights, snow removal, etc. for themselves through the HOA while paying taxes that should have covered the services.

Why do you think NC governments love these associations.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:46 PM

820 posts, read 2,786,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
HOA is great for cities when the stupid homeowners provide streets, lights, snow removal, etc. for themselves through the HOA while paying taxes that should have covered the services.

Why do you think NC governments love these associations.
I guess none of the monthly rental fees you pay for your apartment go for parking lot lights, lights along the driveways of the complex, or any other similar costs right?

God I wish this forum would afford original posters the ability to close their own threads.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:38 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I thought maybe I was the old guy you referenced.
Nah, just trying to practice diplomacy. We have a tendency to agree so I figured it would be obvious not you.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:41 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needcaffeine View Post

How would your expensive neighborhood neighbors feel about having a renter with 2 dogs and chickens in their community?

Old 05-02-2009, 05:06 PM

820 posts, read 2,786,904 times
Quote:
How would your expensive neighborhood neighbors feel about having a renter with 2 dogs and chickens in their community?
I know they exist but most communities above a certain price level tend to have HOA and more in my opinion. Maybe he just doesn't know it because he is renting. As far as my renters go it's transparent, I pay the dues so they don't know too much about the HOA.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh1005 View Post
I know they exist but most communities above a certain price level tend to have HOA and more in my opinion. Maybe he just doesn't know it because he is renting. As far as my renters go it's transparent, I pay the dues so they don't know too much about the HOA.
I live in Mordecai. We don't have a HOA that I'm aware of. Most of my neighbors have 1-2 dogs. A couple of them also have chickens.

I think some of you have drunk so much of this HOA koolaid that you don't realize that there is a world outside of that madness; that it is actually possible for people to coexist in harmony and be responsible and sensible and considerate toward their neighbors; that there actually are in fact neighborhoods without HOAs; that people don't need to be spoon-fed and governed by some egomaniacal authority to not build a submarine in their backyard. I'm sorry you feel this way, but we are, I guess, two different kinds of people. Once again, let's stop talking about this. We're going way off-topic. I realize I'm contributing to this off-topic branch by responding to you, but I had to respond to that question by TuborgP.

Last edited by needcaffeine; 05-03-2009 at 11:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary