Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 11:49 AM

23 posts, read 43,157 times

Advertisements

I am from the north so there are not as many Nuke plants as there seems to be in the south. Does anyone worry about them in relation to where they live, Apex, Holly Springs, FV etc, or am I watching too much 24?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 12:02 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diebs View Post
I am from the north so there are not as many Nuke plants as there seems to be in the south. Does anyone worry about them in relation to where they live, Apex, Holly Springs, FV etc, or am I watching too much 24?
I don't worry about them. I would be more concerned about the Mercury released into the air you breath from the Coal burning power plants common in other parts of the Country.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:12 PM

good point

Old 04-16-2009, 12:15 PM

20 posts, read 90,348 times
You've been watching too much 24 :-)

More radiation from trace amounts of uranium in the coal (not to mention innumerable other things you don't want to be breathing) is emitted by coal-burning plants than from a nuclear power plant. And the casing protecting the reactors are beefy enough to withstand earthquakes, being hit by a missile/flown into by a plane, etc, etc.

There's nothing to worry about.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:21 PM

"There's nothing to worry about."

Famous last words! Isn't that what Custard told his men before the big battle?

Old 04-16-2009, 01:48 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
There's always something to worry about...but life is a lot more pleasant if you don't bother with it.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:53 PM

345 posts, read 1,059,955 times
Drive by Shearon Harris sometime....it's a pretty drive. I'll take that over driving through a densely packed residential area any day! I've lived within the "magic circle" for 16 years, and worked within it for a few years before that...and I only glow on special occasions.

The only real issue I ever have, is with the lack of snow removal of evacuation routes. I wrote my congressman the year we had that 20" snowfall, and asked him if they'd placed a moratorium on nuclear accidents, due to the fact that we were snowed in for a week. He said he'd check into that. I thought that was rather kind of him.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:04 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diebs View Post
"There's nothing to worry about."

Famous last words! Isn't that what Custard told his men before the big battle?
You're thinking of Major Pudding.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:15 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmaps View Post
You've been watching too much 24 :-)

More radiation from trace amounts of uranium in the coal (not to mention innumerable other things you don't want to be breathing) is emitted by coal-burning plants than from a nuclear power plant. And the casing protecting the reactors are beefy enough to withstand earthquakes, being hit by a missile/flown into by a plane, etc, etc.

There's nothing to worry about.
If there's nothing to worry about, why can't nuclear power plants get liability insurance? Day to day the risks are minimal, but the consequences of a screwup are pretty big.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:06 AM

515 posts, read 1,716,205 times
I live one mile from Sharron Harris in Holly Springs. The thing to keep in mind about the one in HS versus one like Cheyrnobel is that the one in HS can pretty much be turned off with the flip of a switch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary