Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 07:26 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSunset View Post
Where are these 2 places? I'm looking for something like this as well.
I believe that it is similar to the North Hills project mentioned up thread.

Both pictures are of Birkdale Village in Huntersville,NC just north of Charlotte. There are apts. above some of the shops and a single family home neighborhood. There are a few like this in the Charlotte area. I imagine there are others in the Triangle as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 08:45 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
NC Paddler; Apex is a town, it is also a suburb. How is this something that is debatable? Most "suburbs" are "towns". I'm not seeing the conflict there?

Old 04-19-2009, 09:56 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,920,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
NC Paddler; Apex is a town, it is also a suburb. How is this something that is debatable? Most "suburbs" are "towns". I'm not seeing the conflict there?
It's not a big deal . . . it's just semantics.

Apex, as formally and legally defined as a "town" (i.e., The Town of Apex), contains "suburbs" (subdivision X, Y, and Z), among other things. It also contains some land and sparsely populated roads . . . but Apex, as an entity, also contains a "town" (i.e., downtown Apex).

The downtown area of Apex (what I consider the "town" -- again not in the legal definition) is *not* a suburb . . . you would say that you live "in town".

A suburb, by my estimation (and as defined in the dictionary entry I posted), is outside of the town (again, not in the legal sense of the word "town", but in the common sense use of the word).

So back to the OP question . . . in town (again not in the legal definition of the word) is where you would find a "town square". You would typically *not* find a town square in a suburb (X, Y, or Z subdivision).

And yes, the "Town of Apex" (in the legal sense of the word) *is* a suburb of Raleigh . . . but that's not the way in which I was using the word.

Enough said on that . . . no one really cares, I'm sure.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:21 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Here we go, I stumbled across this one on another thread. Holly Springs NC Townhomes and Condos For Sale, Holly Springs Office and Retail Space This has the main concept. Also another good idea is this http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_114693_0_0_18/City_Plaza_Presentation07-01-08.pdf (broken link)

Maybe the town squares are finally coming to the area!

Last edited by beckycat; 04-20-2009 at 05:35 PM..

Old 04-20-2009, 07:55 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,920,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Here we go, I stumbled across this one on another thread. Holly Springs NC Townhomes and Condos For Sale, Holly Springs Office and Retail Space
No offense, but . . . . blech!!

More my style:

Pritchard Park - Great Public Spaces | Project for Public Spaces (PPS)

and

Pioneer Courthouse Square - Great Public Spaces | Project for Public Spaces (PPS)

Old 04-23-2009, 01:22 PM

7 posts, read 48,207 times
I'm picturing something like the town square from Gilmore Girls. Ecclectic local stores, a place for gatherings, and a community-centric atmosphere.

I'd actually love to find something like this near Raleigh, as well.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:47 PM

81 posts, read 294,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I was assuming the op was looking for something like this but this is only a guess
http://filelibrary.myaasite.com/Cont...5/24421464.jpg
apartments, condos on top of shops with housing one street over
http://blog.mlive.com/followthemoney...e_Birkdale.jpg

Yes, you are right that's what I was looking for. Is this Birkdale area and actual community or is it a mall area? I can't really tell? Do people actually live in that neighborhood?

Old 04-24-2009, 01:48 PM

81 posts, read 294,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Here we go, I stumbled across this one on another thread. Holly Springs NC Townhomes and Condos For Sale, Holly Springs Office and Retail Space This has the main concept. Also another good idea is this http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_114693_0_0_18/City_Plaza_Presentation07-01-08.pdf (broken link)

Maybe the town squares are finally coming to the area!
These are great areas too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary