Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 05:20 PM

498 posts, read 853,745 times

Advertisements

I'm posting this here to see what local buyers and realtors think of fresh cream/tan paint and granite in a condo priced about $115,000 (we started at $124,900 ). Different areas of the country seem to expect different finishes. Do you like fresh paint and granite? Do you wish you could have picked it yourself? Are you sick of granite? The current counter top is Wilsonart and there couldn't be more than 12 square feet of it. Also of note, I am competing with two new condos of the same model.

As it is a nice three year old one bedroom condo, I am trying to appeal to the 24 year old buying her first place because of the tax credit, the 55 year old divorcee, and the 72 year old widower. I mention this because while you might not expect granite at $115,000, the condo might be something someone is downsizing to and they would be used to granite or something else better than Wilsonart.

It is obvious to me that both of these changes would be easy for a buyer and they could pick what THEY want, but I could see having a fresh look for the pictures and first impressions. What about keeping the old and saying on a flier that they can pick paint colors and the kitchen counter and I will complete before move-in. Does that say, "This place is shabby." or does it say, "That would be fun and helpful."?

Thanks for your insight!

Last edited by CVAlicia; 04-16-2009 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 05:57 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
I don't think you can ever go wrong with fresh, neutral paint. That way the buyers can move in and paint at their leisure if they want color. Fresh paint really makes a place look clean. As for granite, if you have the $$ and want to give your place an edge, i can't imagine it would hurt, esp. if you could get a remnant on the cheap somewhere since you have so little of it. What do the new ones come with as standard? Would it save much to go with a really pretty solid surface or quartz top?

Old 04-16-2009, 10:45 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I have seen alot of builders using a beige wall color called Killem Beige by Sherwin Williams. It really shows off the bright white trim. I tell you this because I had clients that recently re painted and used what they thought was beige but it had a very rosy under color and we had a few less than nice remarks!

If you are competing with brand new, you need to make yours look as brand new as you can.

Ask your Realtor. Call in a stager. Make your home look like a model home. It really helps buyers WANT your home.

Vicki

Old 04-16-2009, 11:05 PM

498 posts, read 853,745 times
I picked up a bunch of beige/taupe/cream colors from Benjamin Moore (I was going to have the painter match it to save $$) and am leaning toward Putnam Ivory, a Pottery Barn color. I saw a color in Traditional Home today that I liked and it turned out to be another color chip I was looking at. I'll have to check out Killem Beige, though! I am definitely tossing any with a pink, peach, or grey undertone.

I'm meeting with a painter Friday for an estimate. I hope it's not too much!

What about granite? Is it passe? Would people rather choose themselves? Should I go ahead and do it or would saying "Make an offer by the end of April and pick your granite!" be good for a flier or ....?

Old 04-17-2009, 04:49 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVAlicia View Post
What about granite? Is it passe? Would people rather choose themselves? Should I go ahead and do it or would saying "Make an offer by the end of April and pick your granite!" be good for a flier or ....?
I personally would prefer to be able to choose the color myself, if it was being offered as an option. I have seen some granite counters that I really didn't like, despite the fact that it was granite. Personally, I think that any option to customize something that is not necessarily easy to change (like counters) would definitely be an advantage.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:54 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
I would say it depends on your buyer whether or not this would be a gimick or a selling feature.

I would see it as a gimick and something that would limit my choices, unless you were willing to put in whatever granite the person picked out (prices can vary GREATLY, especially if you let them pick their favorite at a granite yard).

I only say this because I fell in LOVE with one granite when we were doing our kitchen and it was 3 times the price of the level 3's that HD offers. We wound up going middle of the road for our existing home and I'm saving that other color choice for my future home

So, if you do offer this promo you need to decide what the price limit is going to be and then decide if it will turn off buyers or entice them?

As for paint, defintely go a bit warmer, darker than just cream. Homes with white/off-white walls don't show as well as those with warm tones on the walls. They look stark and draw attention to your stuff rather than the architectural features of the home.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:09 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
I picked up a bunch of beige/taupe/cream colors from Benjamin Moore (I was going to have the painter match it to save $$) and am leaning toward Putnam Ivory, a Pottery Barn color. I saw a color in Traditional Home today that I liked and it turned out to be another color chip I was looking at. I'll have to check out Killem Beige, though! I am definitely tossing any with a pink, peach, or grey undertone.

I'm meeting with a painter Friday for an estimate. I hope it's not too much!

If you have granite money to play with at your price point, you should likely just take it off the list price.
Condo ownership is all about convenience, and most prospective buyers will not be enamored of the opportunity to install new counters with a credit.
And, in the low $100,000's, buyers do not expect to see granite, and granite is not the norm in the condo complex.

Having the place professionally painted is a good idea. Nice clean fresh paint work, with any flaws in walls pointed up during preparation, works wonders

Old 04-17-2009, 06:13 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Having the place professionally painted is a good idea. Nice clean fresh paint work, with any flaws in walls pointed up during preparation, works wonders
I always make sure my house is freshly painted before putting it on the market, and it definitely helps speed the sale. I also replace carpet, but that's because I have dogs. I would make sure that any carpet you do have is very clean though.

You could consider a little closing cost help, a home warranty, or perhaps paying a few months condo fee to help seal the deal. Paying two or three month's condo fee would probably appeal to the first time buyer since their budget will likely be a bit tight with moving costs and all those unexpected things that come up when you first buy a home.

Good luck!

Old 04-17-2009, 06:54 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Picking a granite color isn't that hard because you'll take the color of the cabinets into consideration.

If the granite isn't too pricey, I'd be tempted to go with it, simply because most people won't expect to see granite in your condo and it may make it a bit more inviting.

As you can see, we all have our opinions!

Vicki

Old 04-17-2009, 06:55 AM

757 posts, read 2,082,197 times
These are the paint colors I used in my home and they are all neutral. People make comments about my paint colors without me even mentioning them. They are all benjamin moore washable flat: Barley (muted yellow), Greenbrier biege (tan with no pinks but slightly darker than light tan...more like a latte), misted green ( a muted blue/green), shanandoah taupe ( a tan/grey taupe...my favorite), Shaker beige ( a light beige with no pink under tone). If you want your condo to look bigger, use a lighter shade like shaker beige. All these colors above blend very well from room to room. They are all variations of the same base color. Very pottery barn look. If it were me, I would rather have hardwood floors and new updated light fixtures than granite countertops....but that's just me. I'm in my 20's. I think nice gleaming hardwoods in the living room area would make more of impression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary