Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 11:50 AM

64 posts, read 167,318 times

Advertisements

hi,
i'm just starting to research good areas to live near Raleigh-Durham. we have 3 small children and i'm looking for an area with excellent schools.

any ideas? also, is there an area with more historic homes that are newer inside? i love older homes (1930's, 1940's).

thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 01:12 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,964 times
The answer to your first question is wherever is closest to your work. All the triangle communities have great places to raise kids, so pick a location that will maximize your time with them.

The answer to your second question depends on price point. Durham has lots of old homes that have been rehabbed that are still "reasonably" priced (250-400K). Raleigh has also is full of them, but my impression is that the price points are a bit higher (maybe starting at 400K? I'm sure some raleighites can chime in). The old homes in Chapel Hill are astronomically priced (800K on up) and are pretty limited in number. There are also be some older homes in the triangle's smaller communities such as Hillsborough, Apex, Wake Forest.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:09 AM

64 posts, read 167,318 times
well, my husband works from home and I stay home with our 3 little boys, so there's no issue re:commuting, although my husband may change jobs someday. but for right now he will most likely work from home for a while.

I'm just looking for an area with great schools and other ammenities that are good for families like a good park district, walking/biking trails, etc. i also like older homes with more character or I've seen a few online that are "bungalow" style, but were built more recently.

anyways, thanks for any help. we've never been to the area and are very curious to get real first hand advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
The answer to your first question is wherever is closest to your work. All the triangle communities have great places to raise kids, so pick a location that will maximize your time with them.

The answer to your second question depends on price point. Durham has lots of old homes that have been rehabbed that are still "reasonably" priced (250-400K). Raleigh has also is full of them, but my impression is that the price points are a bit higher (maybe starting at 400K? I'm sure some raleighites can chime in). The old homes in Chapel Hill are astronomically priced (800K on up) and are pretty limited in number. There are also be some older homes in the triangle's smaller communities such as Hillsborough, Apex, Wake Forest.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:34 AM

4 posts, read 19,670 times
We just moved here ourselves (my husband works from home and I stay at home with our daughter). We love the Cary/Apex area and we have just gone under contract for a home in Apex. There is a really nice community pool, basketball and tennis court with paved trails and parks. Everyone seems very friendly and it's a more established community with nice big trees. Good luck and I'm sure you will find something you like as well.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:51 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
well, my husband works from home and I stay home with our 3 little boys, so there's no issue re:commuting, although my husband may change jobs someday. but for right now he will most likely work from home for a while.

I'm just looking for an area with great schools and other ammenities that are good for families like a good park district, walking/biking trails, etc. i also like older homes with more character or I've seen a few online that are "bungalow" style, but were built more recently.

anyways, thanks for any help. we've never been to the area and are very curious to get real first hand advice.
If you've never been here and you work from home, I'm curious as to why you have decided to move here in the first place? I can't imagine making a decision to move somewhere I had never even visited, unless a job transferred me there.

The Oakwood and Mordecai areas near downtown Raleigh are the best-known "older homes"; places in Durham such as Old West Durham and Old North Durham also have that "older homes" look (think "driving Miss Daisy"'s neighborhood). I can't speak for the schools, though. Cary is the most family-friendly town in the metro area, but most of the houses and neighborhoods there are quite new.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:35 AM

7 posts, read 9,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
I moved to Cary 5 years ago- with similar interests. I have found recent development in Wake County to be of larger style homes, garage-front-door types with vaulted ceilings here and there. The older homes are smaller, more character, etc. Chapel Hill is more per sq foot, but the community offers a smaller "town" feel. Carborro has tons of bungalows, but it's a popular town, so it's more per sq. foot. Cary is average pricing, Garner is cheap, N. Raleigh really depends on what you're looking at, it's such a large area. If you wanted to spend <300K, you can buy in all these areas, your requirements for a home would determine if what is available at that price is best for you.

Schools are fine- they will vary but it would be hard to find a school that would be seen as "bad" in any area around here. Check the report cards, that should help. If you have a child with special needs, such as Autism or Asperger's, Chapel Hill Schools are very connected to UNC's TEACH program, so that may be a better choice there.

If the outdoors is a cornerstone for you, look around at google maps and try narrowing things down that way. We chose to move close to my husbands work, to minimize his commute, then his office moved.... And we found that the kids and I were much more impacted by where we lived than his commute impacted him- something we didn't expect. (I found our house seemed 20 minutes from everything we did...) We live on a greenway and next to Bond Park in Cary and that has turned out to be a great experience as we can get out of the neighborhood quickly and into the woods, w/out driving.

Hope this helps--

Old 08-14-2009, 07:37 PM

27 posts, read 76,295 times
If you are flexible you may want to look at Summerville, SC. My mom lives in a restored 1910 cottage bungalow. Summerville is full is beautiful historic homes and a nice downtown with antiques shops, etc. and is only a 20-25 minute drive into downtown Charleston and the beach. It depends on your price range, too, because you can get a beautiful older home in the Old Village of Mt. Pleasant but at a very hefty price tag. As for NC, I live in Clayton...13 miles SE of Raleigh and plan on moving to Mt. Pleasant. Our home is on the market now. It is new but we custom built it with some historical architectural features such as pocket doors, wood stairs and hallway upstairs, beadboard on wall going up the stairs, 10 ft ceilings, transom windows, dark wood floors, 7 1/2 inch baseboards, white hexagon tiles in master bathroom floor and subway tiles in dual head shower and the tub surround, beadboard ceilings on porches outside, "slamming" screen doors...I did not want the vinyl doors, tounge and groove flooring painted green on one of the covered porches, farmhouse sink in kitchen with beadboard back splash...subway tiles behind stainless , gas 6 burner cooktop/grill, swinging door from butlers pantry to dining room....lots of stuff. I love older homes, too and love antiques. So much fun!! I have three children, too. It's 4 BR plus a playroom with tiled floors (like you see in Pottery Barn kids) plus an office on the first floor with built ins, three and half baths, 3rd floor unfinished..not that large. All bedrooms are large. Master is first floor. Total SF is 3461 SF. It may be a great home for you if you aren't able to find an older home and would not mind living in Clayton. Schools are good where we live, walking trails in neighborhood, walk to ice cream shop, etc. It's a 25 minute drive to the mall. Not trying to push my house on you...you may not even like the area...but it's a special person that appreciates historic homes and, although mine isn't old, it's built like one. :-) But like I said, if you are flexible you would probably love Summerville, SC!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary