Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 06:56 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,174 times

Advertisements

there's definitely "fit for foodies" types of restaurants in the Triangle, but I agree with the person wondering about the ranking system. we went to a 3 michelin star restaurant in paris, and it was just a whole different world. spent like 700 bucks.. i don't see that happening in Raleigh

but i digress... check out OpenTable Restaurants and Restaurant Reservations and you can usually find a lot of interesting places
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 06:04 AM

551 posts, read 1,875,292 times
We ate last night at the Fearrington House because we had a $200 gift certificate as a present. The food was pretty good but all of the presentations were inovative in ways, some of them weird. For example, I had banana cream pie for desert that included white chocolate and popcorn. I'm not a real foodie, but some of the stuff seemed just weird to me. Anyone thinking of going there, look at their menu on line and see if there are things you feel comfortable with. One of the deserts had goat cheese and beets. The setting and room was lovely but a long drive from North Raleigh. Also, very expensive. Just google Fearrington House and look at the menu you should have a good idea if this is what you would want.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:46 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,934,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Not in Raleigh, but I believe the Fearington Inn in Chapel Hill is a five star resturant.
It would be great if Chapel Hill could claim credit for Fearrington House, but it's actually in Pittsboro - about 8 miles south of Chapel Hill.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:47 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,240,116 times
I always thought the Angus Barn was a 5 star restaurant?

Vicki

Old 04-20-2009, 08:24 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,251,308 times
As far as ranking system, no clue, just asked a question for a friend of mine that was interested in inquiring.

Me personally, I am not big into fancy high end expensive restaurants anyway. However, a few people that I know including some that live in the Raleigh area like it and would like to know where those high rated restaurants are.

Thanks for the responses. I will pass on the info.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:04 AM

355 posts, read 957,931 times
Star rankings depend completely on the particular system. Michelin only ranks a few US cities (NY, Las Vegas, LA, maybe another one), and only goes to three stars - and they are very stingy with them - as others have pointed out. The Mobil guides bias is probably more towards service and based on my experience, I don't think they match up with the quality of the food as well as they should. Try searching for recent James Beard Award winners/nominees too.

There are couple of restaurants that have been listed on Gourmet magazine's Top 50 restaurants list: Lantern and Magnolia Grill. According to the Foodie boards, Herons is overpriced for the quality. Boinne Soiree and Fearington get a lot of positive buzz and may be your best bet. There are quite a few good restaurants by any measure, but no over the top Le Bernardin type places in the area.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:15 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

Vicki
Loves me some Angus Barn, but it's not even close to a Michelin star.

Mobile Travel guide gives it 3 stars (http://mobiltravelguide.howstuffworks.com/angus-barn-raleigh-nc-restaurant.htm - broken link).

Old 04-20-2009, 03:37 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaze View Post
We ate last night at the Fearrington House because we had a $200 gift certificate as a present. The food was pretty good but all of the presentations were inovative in ways, some of them weird. For example, I had banana cream pie for desert that included white chocolate and popcorn. I'm not a real foodie, but some of the stuff seemed just weird to me. Anyone thinking of going there, look at their menu on line and see if there are things you feel comfortable with. One of the deserts had goat cheese and beets. The setting and room was lovely but a long drive from North Raleigh. Also, very expensive. Just google Fearrington House and look at the menu you should have a good idea if this is what you would want.
i almost ate there last time i was down, but it was just too darn expensive, even for me. looks good, and i think the "weird" stuff makes all the more interesting. you can get bbq, fish and chips, etc. anywhere... i like some different stuff, esp if they know what they're doing, but it did seem far out of the way, too.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:58 AM

551 posts, read 1,875,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
i almost ate there last time i was down, but it was just too darn expensive, even for me. looks good, and i think the "weird" stuff makes all the more interesting. you can get bbq, fish and chips, etc. anywhere... i like some different stuff, esp if they know what they're doing, but it did seem far out of the way, too.
Well, glp, we ate there because we had a gift certificate. I think unexpected combinations, or "weird stuff" can be interesting, but there is a fine line between innovative and unusual and just plain odd. It might depend on what one orders.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:08 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

Vicki
The Angus barn is great. Can't beat their big angus steaks and range fed beef. But it is not considered ultra fine dinning in my opinion. when you start eating at 4 and 5 star TRADITIONALLY ranked establishments, it enters an entire whole new arena. That being a dining experience and not just food. The food and atmosphere has to be world class, the food highly creative and prepared by professionally trained and experienced chefs and it needs to be presented to you at your table like a work of fine art.

Nothing wrong with the Angus Barn, it is one of my favorite places to eat, but I don't think it can compare to a place that serves meals prepared by world class, professionally and formally trained chefs at the top of their game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary