U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:57 AM

81 posts, read 37,214 times

Advertisements

Anyone discover they have or know about having allergic reactions to the blown in insulation they use around here? I noticed one house of mine has blown in insulation in the attic and I have developed massive allergies in the house. My other house has batting insulation and I don't have any issues. I can go from one house to the other and go from allergy attack to cleared out and back the other way. The only real difference between the 2 houses is the type of insulation. They are both less than 10 years old. What are they using for blown attic insulation around here and is anyone aware of any issues? Has there been any local issues brought to light? Has there been any litigation against local builders here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 11:07 AM

576 posts, read 2,167,290 times
Though I'm not discounting your diagnosis I'd think a 10 year old house could have a LOT more allergy related issues like mold, pets (dander lingers for a long time), etc.

Easiest thing to do is to bottle up some of the blown insulation and take it to the other house, or even outdoors somewhere, then uncap the bottle and see what happens. Simple process of elimination against the insulation.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:11 AM

I have owned both these houses from the get go. No pets or anything else that would cause this issue. Tests confirm no mold. Both houses are less than 10 years old, not ten years old.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:38 AM

605 posts, read 2,088,129 times
Blown-in attic insulation is typically cellulose (paper) that has been treated with a chemical fire retardant. This type of insulation has been used for 50+ years and in literally millions of houses. I guess it is possible to be allergic to it (like anything else) but I would be really surprised if this is your specific problem, especially if you are not going up in the attic and rolling around in the stuff. Surely there is something else different about the 2 houses than just attic insulation.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:09 PM

8,615 posts, read 15,800,043 times
See an allergist for skin testing to find out what allergies you have.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:01 PM

714 posts, read 1,822,203 times
Default May be fibreglass, or even rock wool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
Blown-in attic insulation is typically cellulose (paper) that has been treated with a chemical fire retardant. This type of insulation has been used for 50+ years and in literally millions of houses. I guess it is possible to be allergic to it (like anything else) but I would be really surprised if this is your specific problem, especially if you are not going up in the attic and rolling around in the stuff. Surely there is something else different about the 2 houses than just attic insulation.
The other common type of insulation that is blown into attic spaces is shredded fibreglass. The same material as used in fibregalss batt insulation, but smaller pieces that can be blown thru a hose by a powerful fan.

Rock wool insulation is possible, but much less likely. As the name implies, it is made from melted rock that is drawn into a mass of intertwined strands very similar to fibreglass.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:55 PM

447 posts, read 1,047,559 times
Did you get the duct work checked for mold and other substances?

Old 04-20-2009, 05:04 PM

542 posts, read 934,627 times
It could be any number of things making you sick, I'm know there are many more differences between the two homes than just the type of attic insulation.

Mike

Old 04-21-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckreis View Post
Did you get the duct work checked for mold and other substances?
That all checks out. I have read a lot about different types of insulation affecting people differently. Other than the insulation the only thing I can think of is I could be allergic to the people occupying my other house. Maybe I am allergic to them and I shouldn't show up there anymore, which wouldn't go over so well as they are relatives. So far it doesn't sound like anyone else is aware of any issues with houses in this area.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 10,069 times
i AM GETTING HEADACHES , SINUS INFECTIONS AND SMSELL THE PARTICULATES ODOR ..... IT COMES FROM THE ATTIC WHICH THEY OOPENED TO REINSTALL KITCHEN VENTING. DEFINATE HORRIBLE FINE PARTICULATE STREAM FROM THE AIR COMING IN FROM THERE... CAN SEE THE PARTICLES IN SUNBEAMS THRU WINDOW .... ANOTHER WOMAN SMELLED IT TOO BUT THE MEN CAN NOT... WE ARE MORE SENSITIVE... NEED IT TO STOP... GET HEADACHE AFTER TWENTY MINUTES ... SMELL IT IN REST OF HOUSE NOT AS BAD EXCEPT BACK WHERE IT IS SO FAR AND i KEEP IT CLOSED OFF AND AIRED OUT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary