Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 02:38 PM

502 posts, read 1,386,026 times

Advertisements

I was just looking at the website for The Pit in Raleigh... my husband and I are moving to the Triangle soon and we're looking for a good place to go to try some real NC Barbecue for the first time. Any of you folks been here? We are looking at the menu and DROOLING! The menu and pictures look fantastic...
The Pit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 03:01 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,857,543 times
Oh my, now you've done it - opened up the great NC BBQ debate. I hope you're prepared to accept responsibility for what follows.

There are LOTS of good BBQ places in NC. The Pit is one of them, although I'm not sure it's the first place I would recommend. It's unique, perhaps, among BBQ joints in that it offers some traditional NC BBQ in a nicer, more traditional restaurant setting. While the food is good, I tend to think you can get as good or better BBQ at lots of other locations too - although probably none as nice.

You might look at this thread for some other local suggestions:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ggestions.html

Old 04-20-2009, 04:31 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,144,172 times
they arent open sunday, close at 10 during the week, and 11 on friday/saturday? where's the fun in that!?

but they do look good...

Old 04-20-2009, 06:41 PM

836 posts, read 3,461,028 times
Actually, i read in the paper that the Pit will now be open on Sundays, with a lunch buffet and dinner. The Pit is, I believe, the only bbq place in Raliegh that still cooks on wood fire. I think they make great barbecue.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:08 PM

455 posts, read 916,165 times
I ate there about two months ago. Was a weekday lunch. I found it very good..had the brisket. I'm not an Eastern Carolina BBQ fan, which is why I went for the brisket. Others I was with had just about everything though (the pork, the turkey, etc) and everyone loved it. It was a party of 12 with a nice mix of southerners and yankees. Not sure if that helps, but I'd at least give it a shot once...can't hurt, right?

Old 04-20-2009, 07:59 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,326,740 times
I had some at the Cuegrass. It was just ok. Not much on the sandwich. Maybe that was just the case for that occasion.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:04 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,139,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
...looking for a good place to go to try some real NC Barbecue
Obviously opinions will vary on this subject, but if you want "the real thing", I suggest a more traditional place. B's over near Greenville would be my first recommendation, or Skylight in, which is also somewhere "east". Wilburs near Goldsboro is good. All worth the day-trip.

I believe that Allen and Son's in Chapel Hill (not the one on 15/501, but the one on 86, North of I-40) still cooks on wood, and has good que.

Before we had our Daughter (now 9 years old) my wife and I used to go for Saturday rides and try new places, just for something to do. Lots of good stuff in Eastern NC. If you don't get hung up on appearances, and if you are willing to forego a cold beer for a sweet-tea, there is plenty around to keep you busy.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:22 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,037,421 times
Default reply

I have been to and love all of the classic, old school ENC cue joints including Ed Mitchell's old place in Wilson. The Pit is not your traditional NC barbecue joint, but Ed Mitchell is a pitmaster that cooks whole hog eastern style cue as well as anyone out there today. I highly recommend The Pit. I have eaten at over 50 NC barbecue places in addition to several hundred pig pickins and I know great cue when I taste it. You don't win all the awards and contest that Ed has without your barbecue being great. If you don't like his cue, then you don't like traditional NC barbecue.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:27 PM

675 posts, read 1,828,264 times
The Pit is definitely a "haute" BBQ joint. Very good, but not your run of the mill mom-n-pop place. And the mom and pop places are very good, too.

BBQ around here is like pizza in NYC or Chicago. Try anyplace. Chances are, you won't go wrong.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:14 AM

16 posts, read 160,318 times
It's a great place for new / out of towners to visit and be introduced to the NC style. Kind of upscale restaurant meets NC BBQ.

It was featured on episode 17 of Man v Food (North Carolina). I'm a newb to the area (been here 2 1/2 years) and LOVE going to The Pit...been several times, look forward to going back again, and soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary