Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 10:02 PM

770 posts, read 3,680,626 times

Advertisements

My husband is applying to the police department in Cary, NC. I was just wondering if it is a safe, nice area. We live in Maryland and have yet to go down there to visit. We will visit during the process several times. He is currently a police officer here in Maryland...but the cost of living is drowning us. Anyone that is a Cary police officer please feel free to private IM me I would love to know more about the department and opps for overtime, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 10:16 PM

56 posts, read 414,416 times
I grew up on the Cary/Raleigh border and my 25 years of being around Cary I do have to say it's pretty safe. You have your normal stuff thefts,robery,asualts but its nothing thats anymore than any other town. Cary cops are frequently on patrol keeping things civil. I cannot in my 25 years ever remember a Cary LEO being killed in the line of duty. One got shot out there on US1 near Walnut street a few years back, but thats pretty much it. IMO theres so many Cary cops on patrol 24/7 there presense is enough to keep the peace.

My two cents,
Brian Craig

www.myspace.com/BeckerFagen

Old 04-01-2007, 10:21 PM

Thank you for your two cents. It is hard being a cops wife. My husband is good at what he does, but it could happen to anyone. Thank you so much

Old 04-01-2007, 10:25 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
My husband is applying to the police department in Cary, NC. I was just wondering if it is a safe, nice area. We live in Maryland and have yet to go down there to visit. We will visit during the process several times. He is currently a police officer here in Maryland...but the cost of living is drowning us. Anyone that is a Cary police officer please feel free to private IM me I would love to know more about the department and opps for overtime, etc.
Cary? No, it just makes the top of all the safest places in the United States all the time for no reason.

It's not crime free...but yes, it's incredibly safe overall....almost to the point of boredom.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:41 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Cary? No, it just makes the top of all the safest places in the United States all the time for no reason.

It's not crime free...but yes, it's incredibly safe overall....almost to the point of boredom.
Safety = boredom? Hmmm....guess I'll take boredom over excitement any day then

Old 04-01-2007, 10:58 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
Safety = boredom? Hmmm....guess I'll take boredom over excitement any day then
No, safety doesn't always equal boredom...but it can...and I think Cary is so concerned about keeping things so safe and beige that it is boring.

If that works for you, then Cary is a great place for you....but don't expect a dynamic environment...it's a trade-off.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:20 PM

Safe works for me.... and I am not looking for a dynamic enviroment to live in...I will just visit Raleigh for that.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:36 AM

214 posts, read 695,272 times
I live right next to Cary. I agree that it pretty much as safe of a place as you are going to find. My neighbor left the Cary police dept a few years ago and doesn't have anything good to say about the department's management. I would recomend that if you are looking to relocate to this area your husband could also look into the police departments of some of the smaller neighboring towns like Morrisville, Apex, and Holly Springs.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:39 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
i know there is a raleigh police officer who frequents the board, alt-x, maybe he will see the post and respond. Cary doesn't seem to have a tremendous amount of crime, think the most suburban and wealthy neighborhood in maryland! Hopefully he will respond to you and you can get more "real" information!

Leigh

Old 04-02-2007, 08:50 AM

989 posts, read 5,925,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
it's incredibly safe overall....almost to the point of boredom.
boredom being used to describe safety. hmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary