U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 09:09 PM

1,246 posts, read 3,045,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
What's more, the Duke University Transit service is free to everyone, so have her print out the route maps before coming down.

I didn't realize this. Thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 09:30 PM

345 posts, read 608,325 times
Have driven from the Highway 42/Carbonton Rd exit in Sanford, to the Wade Ave. exit in Raleigh in about 40 minutes, several times. It's 65 mph from Sanford to just south of Cary...no traffic lights, so I'd guess right at, or just more than 1 hour. The key is to stay on the north end of Sanford, because when you get to Tramway, there are a couple of lights on US-1.

If you wind up working in Durham, you also have the options of 15-501 or 751 to I-40...just depends on what times of day you plan to travel, and what you like to drive through on your commute. I generally opt for back roads...but US-1 from Sanford to Apex is a dream.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:50 PM
T|K

806 posts, read 1,363,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty320f View Post
depending on how fast you drive, and what time, the trip from Brier Creek to Sanford should take approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes. If you travel on a weekday afternoon beginning at 3pm, it could be almost double that.
The part from Brier Creek to the US-1 interchange is the hit-or-miss part (rush hour = longer)

Once on US-1, it is about an hour drive, give or take. (rush hour, add 25 minutes?)

Hopefully this helps.
Which way are you driving to take that long? Sanford is not that far from Brier Creek. It would take about 50mins-1hour like was said above, it is really not that far. May take about 20 mins longer in traffic on a typical day, but mostly you will be going against traffic. Apex/Cary/Holly Springs would be a much quicker drive though.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:30 PM

8,197 posts, read 10,841,360 times
I personally can't imagine commuting from Raleigh to Sanford back and forth, but I do have a co-worker who does. However, we work near downtown, not up near Brier Creek, and I'd add 20 mins just for that difference.

You didn't really say where your interviews specifically are, but Duke Gardens are lovely at this time of year; I think people advising against that were more worried about her getting LOST than about any danger...Duke campus certainly is confusing. But, cell phones help a lot in that regard, if you're trying to find her

Old 04-21-2009, 10:48 PM

1,545 posts, read 2,793,464 times
that makes me feel a bit better about the commute ;-)
i didn't say where the interviews were because i feel like that's weird to be putting out on the internet for everyone, though i'm sure a detective could track it down. in any event, i'm obviously not thrilled for an hour commute, but if it's a lot more money, i can't afford to be picky at this point. i have a nice car, i'll live. plus NC is pretty to drive in

Old 04-21-2009, 11:37 PM

967 posts, read 1,412,778 times
Please don't even think about commuting from Brier Creek to Sanford on a regular basis until you've driven the route during the hours you'll be traveling. Personally I would never consider that, ever. Way too far.
best,
toodie

Old 04-22-2009, 07:45 AM

345 posts, read 608,325 times
One thing to consider, regarding the Sanford commute...I-540 will help in that regard, but it will initially (or is that forever?), be a toll road.

Here is a map:

http://www.ncturnpike.org/images/Wes..._Map_Large.jpg

Old 04-22-2009, 07:53 AM

3,465 posts, read 6,452,143 times
I've turned down a couple interviews in Sanford and I live in Cary (~36 miles away). Then again I can't tolerate long commutes. I interviewed for a job in Durham that's 14 miles from my house - I'm hoping that the commute isn't longer than 30 minutes, but unfortunately I've a few local roads to drive on before getting to 55. For me 30 minutes is okay but 45 is unpleasant because that winds up being 1.5 hours a day in the car. No thanks!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:55 AM

8,197 posts, read 10,841,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
i didn't say where the interviews were because i feel like that's weird to be putting out on the internet for everyone, though i'm sure a detective could track it down.
I didn't mean what companies, just what general areas (RPT, Durham, etc). It would help people find you places to suggest if they knew where you were going to be near, that's all.

And I still say you would regret choosing a commute from North Raleigh to Sanford pretty darn quickly, especially if gas prices jump back up to the upper $3 range.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:12 AM

635 posts, read 1,881,656 times
Thumbs up The commute from Sanford to Raleigh/Durham is a breeze, but is about 40 minutes

I don't mean to sound insensitive or argumentative, but honestly coming from several large metro areas where a 10 mile commute can take 30+ minutes, or where a similar 30-40 mile commute can take 2+ hours.... I can honestly say that my daily and reliable 40-45 minute commute from downtown Sanford to East Raleigh(Poole Rd/440) is a breeze

I honestly wish I only had a 10 minute commute of course, but it really isn't bad considering.

Of course it is all "relative" and many people really dislike commutes longer than a few minutes, and I can certainly understand that personal preference. If one doesn't like a commute of 30 or more minutes, then indeed living that far from work isn't something I'd recommend

But all that being said, the commute to/from Sanford to Duke is likely to be a bit different than if one commutes to/from Sanford to my location off of Poole Road just because of traffic flow and which roads will be involved. So like others have suggested, I would highly recommend you test the commute both during the rush and off-hours to find out for yourself if it is acceptable.

Again, my daily commute is a rock-steady reliable 40-45 minutes from door to parking lot from downtown Sanford to the opposite side of Raleigh. Hwy 1 from Sanford to Cary(40/440), during "rush hour" is wide open 65-70mph with no delays, and that's the bulk of the drive. And that makes all the difference. I'll take 30 miles of non-stop driving over 10 miles of gridlock any day. Heck I did that when I lived in Cary, driving up Davis to RTP, only about 15 miles in 30 minutes.. yuck, that was marginally worse

My remaining 10 minutes on 40/440 is also usually a breeze, but traffic is sometimes a little heavier, but never stacked up. I can't say the same for the inner beltline though, as that often is running much slower as I sail by on the outer.

But I am a big Sanford "booster" and if you don't mind the commute(I listen to audio-books and talk radio/news... also "wind down" after work), I think Sanford is a great place to live and raise a family.

Our location is nearly perfectly centered between Raleigh/Durham, Fayetteville, and Greensboro, and at 30k population we generally have everything anyone "needs" and anything one "wants" is only 30-40 minutes away in the larger cities.

We've got a great small town vibe, with the advantages of a mid-sized city, where the mayor probably knows you by name. Housing is inexpensive and in a small area we have everything from gated golf communities to rural farmland.

So if that sounds like something you would be interested in, I'd definitely recommend keeping Sanford in mind. But definitely "test" that commute so you know what you are getting into

Some Sanford links:

City of Sanford, North Carolina | Official Government Website

Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce

Downtown Sanford, INC. | Sanford, North Carolina

Maps of Sanford relative to the region:

Live Well Centered.

Cheers,
Al
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary