Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 05:08 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times

Advertisements

after several phone interviews, i've finally got real interviews coming up, so i'll be in the triangle next week. yay!

a couple questions:
my friend is coming with me for the drive, and i need to stash her somewhere during most of the daytime one of the days. she likes art, dislikes crowds (the malls might be okay, but which one?), and doesn't mind a little walking or hiking. any thoughts of what i should do with her? preferably something within 10 miles of the RDU area or Duke's campus section of Durham.

also, does anyone know anything about Sanford, NC in general, and what the commute from Brier Creek might be like? it says 50min on google maps, but is that heavy traffic during rush hour, or is it the opposite of the traffic flow?

i'm excited to just be back again, and if these go well, i should be down permanently by mid-May!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 05:19 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,620 times
She can tour Duke and Duke Gardens and spend rest of her time on 9th St. Also, downtown isn't far from there. As far as a mall, Southpoint would be the best and closest.

Sanford is a haul and quite a commute. I have rarely travelled it though and can't be much more help than that. Of course, I live in the Brier Creek area and rarely drive in Raleigh b/c of the traffic. What I consider traffic and a long commute might be nothing to you.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:23 PM

675 posts, read 1,833,326 times
Also the Nasher Art Gallery at Duke is pretty cool.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:34 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
I wouldn't walk around Duke Gardens or Duke campus alone -- especially if I was not familiar with the area.

I would stash her at the NC Museum of Art on Blue Ridge Road in Raleigh (which is very convenient to RTP): North Carolina Museum of Art

The museum also has a "museum park" (outside) -- I haven't been there yet, but here's info: North Carolina Museum of Art - The Museum Park (http://ncartmuseum.org/museumpark.shtml - broken link)

She could also have lunch at the museum restaurant. Here is menu: http://www.ncartmuseum.org/restaurant/BR_lunch08.pdf (broken link)
Here is visitor info on the museum: http://ncartmuseum.org/visitor.shtml (broken link)

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 04-21-2009 at 06:00 PM..

Old 04-21-2009, 05:40 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I wouldn't walk around Duke Gardens or Duke campus alone.
Why not? Scores of college students, professors, Duke staff, and others do it every day without consequence.

Previous recommendations have nailed it: Duke Gardens/Chapel, Nasher Art Musuem, 9th Street & Brightleaf Square are all great areas to kill some time. What's more, the Duke University Transit service is free to everyone, so have her print out the route maps before coming down.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:42 PM

90 posts, read 327,281 times
depending on how fast you drive, and what time, the trip from Brier Creek to Sanford should take approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes. If you travel on a weekday afternoon beginning at 3pm, it could be almost double that.
The part from Brier Creek to the US-1 interchange is the hit-or-miss part (rush hour = longer)

Once on US-1, it is about an hour drive, give or take. (rush hour, add 25 minutes?)

Hopefully this helps.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:48 PM

297 posts, read 740,692 times
Quote:
I wouldn't walk around Duke Gardens or Duke campus alone.
OMG, I can't believe this! I can't think of a more beautiful place to walk (except maybe UNC Chapel Hill!), alone or in company. I walk there every day. So do thousands of other people. Somebody needs to get out more.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:48 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
She dislikes crowds. When you're new and alone, who wants to deal with maps and not knowing where you are? She likes art. I'd just have a leisurely day at the NC art museum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Why not? Scores of college students, professors, Duke staff, and others do it every day without consequence.

Previous recommendations have nailed it: Duke Gardens/Chapel, Nasher Art Musuem, 9th Street & Brightleaf Square are all great areas to kill some time. What's more, the Duke University Transit service is free to everyone, so have her print out the route maps before coming down.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:57 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
Coming down for interviews next week

I've notified the authorites.

I agree with mdp_az, others have given some spot on suggestions.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:57 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times
thanks for the input, everyone. those are all some good suggestions, which i'll pass on to her. i'm a bit confused/disappointed about Sanford. it says on my GPS and google maps that it's a 45 mile / 50 min drive. i definitely drive fast (slower maybe now that i'm moving), what i'd consider intelligently (some might say aggressively) and can make good time. i don't mind a little drive or triangle-level traffic, but i guess i'll see for myself next week ;-)

thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary