Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 02:49 PM

4 posts, read 22,735 times

Advertisements

Hi,
my husband and I are considering buying a home on the west side of Hillsborough and would like to know the general impression of how safe it is there. We've been driving around and there seem to be a number of people out walking and working in their yards but the type of structures (i.e., site built homes, manufactured homes, etc.) and the condition they are in seems pretty widely varied. I am really not concerned with any type of demographic breakdown for Hillsborough but would like to know how safe residents feel in town in general and on the west side specifically. I have heard mention of drug and gang problems in parts of town and issues like that tend to spread. Please feel free to correct me if I have been misinformed.
Thanks!

Last edited by sinanju00; 04-24-2009 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: adding state info to title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 03:22 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinanju00 View Post
Hi,
my husband and I are considering buying a home on the west side of Hillsborough and would like to know the general impression of how safe it is there. We've been driving around and there seem to be a number of people out walking and working in their yards but the type of structures (i.e., site built homes, manufactured homes, etc.) and the condition they are in seems pretty widely varied. I am really not concerned with any type of demographic breakdown for Hillsborough but would like to know how safe residents feel in town in general and on the west side specifically. I have heard mention of drug and gang problems in parts of town and issues like that tend to spread. Please feel free to correct me if I have been misinformed.
Thanks!

It's full of gangs, organized crime, and street walkers!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 07:15 PM

That's not very helpful. If you have some input, try dropping the sarcasm.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:42 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinanju00 View Post
That's not very helpful. If you have some input, try dropping the sarcasm.
No offense. You're asking about a little sleepy town that's located in rural Orange county. Crime should be the last question you ask about this place. Unless your talking about getting hit in the head by a dear hoof in the middle of the woods.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:02 PM

413 posts, read 1,255,185 times
Hillsborough, like any other town, will have its share of crime, but for the most part it seems to be pretty much all petty stuff. I can give you more specifics (I'll pm you) if I know what part of west Hillsborough you are looking. Is it the old "West Hillsborough" with the old mill houses, or the new subdivision off Corbin Str (at least I think that's the street--I can't remember the name of the development but it's fairly new)?
I have to say we have lived in H'boro for years, and I have always felt quite safe. Much more so than in Chapel Hill or even Carrboro. My spouse was born and raised in Chapel Hill, so it was hard to leave but we are glad we did. It's really quite Mayberry-ish here.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausmerika View Post
Hillsborough, like any other town, will have its share of crime, but for the most part it seems to be pretty much all petty stuff. I can give you more specifics (I'll pm you) if I know what part of west Hillsborough you are looking. Is it the old "West Hillsborough" with the old mill houses, or the new subdivision off Corbin Str (at least I think that's the street--I can't remember the name of the development but it's fairly new)?
I have to say we have lived in H'boro for years, and I have always felt quite safe. Much more so than in Chapel Hill or even Carrboro. My spouse was born and raised in Chapel Hill, so it was hard to leave but we are glad we did. It's really quite Mayberry-ish here.
Thanks for your help. We're looking in the neighborhood with the old mill houses so that should be the old "West Hillsborough". I really like that area and it's proximity to Churchton Street as well as the charm of the old houses. Do you live near that part or know people who do? There seems to be several bars and a diner on that side of town. Thanks for your input!

Old 04-26-2009, 10:03 PM

413 posts, read 1,255,185 times
Yes, I know the area quite well. You're probably talking about the pub and restaurants along Churton, and maybe the good ol' Village Diner. West Hillsborough is going to be up and coming, as the project along Nash Street gets approved and under way (old mill factory being turned into condos, much like in Durham and other cities--gentrification).
For the most part the area is safe. There has been a bit of an upswing, across the county (and more so in Chapel Hill and outside the Hillsborough town limits) of petty crime, i.e. vehicle break ins. It's mostly due to the situation of the economy, and so called crimes of opportunity--leave your car unlocked or with valuables in sight (i.e GPS), might get tagged. Again, hear more of this in Chapel Hill and Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary