Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 03:07 PM

81 posts, read 145,914 times

Advertisements

I want to start my vegetable garden within the week and have a question about doing so in the clay soil that exists here. I do not want to go to the extent of a raised bed garden at this time, but would like to create planting beds in the shape of what will be raised bed gardens down the road. Is it possible to till the existing clay soil and add some amendments, yet be able to grow a successful crop of tomatoes, cukes and squash? As time goes by, I will build the sides around the gardens and add better soil as I can. Also, I am a bit behind and I am hoping it is not too late to plant such things in a week or two in our climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 03:18 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern country redneck View Post
I want to start my vegetable garden within the week and have a question about doing so in the clay soil that exists here. I do not want to go to the extent of a raised bed garden at this time, but would like to create planting beds in the shape of what will be raised bed gardens down the road. Is it possible to till the existing clay soil and add some amendments, yet be able to grow a successful crop of tomatoes, cukes and squash? As time goes by, I will build the sides around the gardens and add better soil as I can. Also, I am a bit behind and I am hoping it is not too late to plant such things in a week or two in our climate.
have you considered planting in pots instead? A wine barrel 1/2 will do nicely for cukes and squash. Or you can grow them from hanging baskets.

I tried what you are talking about last year and had very little success. But I have a lot where all the good soil was taken by the developer.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:46 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
I think so as long as you break up the clay soil at least 6"-8" and mix in lots of compost. I made a small quick and dirty raised bed by digging into my clay soil and adding compost last year. I just mounded up the soil and don't have any rocks or wood retaining it in place. I had good success growing lettuce in the fall. Now I am using the same bed to grow herbs, cucumbers, tomatos, and a peony plant. The jury is still out on how well they do this summer but I am confident it will work out alright.

Once the plants are a little bigger I plan to cover the bed with some inexpensive hardwood mulch to help keep in the moisture during the hot and sunny months ahead. Here are a few pics of my quick and dirty herb garden.

Quick and easy raise bed made from breaking up clay earth and adding several bags of compost.

English Thyme

Flat Leaf Parsley

Italian Oregano

Bush type cucumber

Romaine Lettuce I grew in the fall in same location.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:18 PM

291 posts, read 958,040 times
Nice garden! Also, take a look at the Square Foot Garden option. We have done that with major sucess to plant everything from flowers, to herbs to watermelons The nice thing about the SFG is that you don't have to dig up the soil and worry about what has been there in terms of pesticides, weed killers, fertilizers, etc. Everything will be organic. There is some start up cost specially with the vermiculate but it is so worth the time & money. The best way to grow pretty much anything IMO! And I don't have much of a green thumb...

The book is excellent. Here some online info:
Welcome To My Garden! | Square Foot Gardening

Added some of my pics here too:
Attached Thumbnails
vegetable gardening question-06-26-08-008.jpg   vegetable gardening question-08-05-08-033.jpg   vegetable gardening question-garden-7-08-014.jpg   vegetable gardening question-08-21-08-032.jpg   vegetable gardening question-garden-7-08-021.jpg  

Last edited by OrangeSunset; 04-24-2009 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: wrong link, sorry about that!

Old 04-24-2009, 05:24 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSunset View Post
Nice garden! Also, take a look at the Square Foot Garden option.
Did somebody say square foot garden?

Gardening in Raleigh ~ beat the red clay: Pictures of a raised garden bed project.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
have you considered planting in pots instead? A wine barrel 1/2 will do nicely for cukes and squash. Or you can grow them from hanging baskets.

I tried what you are talking about last year and had very little success. But I have a lot where all the good soil was taken by the developer.
I don't want much expense at first, so buying pots won't work. I want to start with something I can expand. Eventually, it will all be raised, but I want to do it a little at a time.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:40 PM

Update for those that are interested.
I created a small semi-raised bed garden.
I will make it deeper in the fall.
Starting the small garden late was not that big of a deal.
The plants grew fast and we have been eating cukes and squash already.
I have loads of tomatoes, but they are still green.
The only issue is the fast growth rate, combined with hot temps has been causing some blossom end rot.
I am trying to manage it the best I can with proper watering, but there will be some loss.
Next year should be better, as I expand the gardens and plant a little earlier.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:13 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
We bought 1 bag of cheap soil from Walmart for about $1.97 and mixed it with our existing clay soil, right in the lawn, and planted 7 tomato plants. We're already having a bumper crop. If you can find tomato plants that are already grown (versus seeds), I think it'll work.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:25 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
Quote:
We have done this for 10-15 years. Every few years we till the yard so that we create diagonally arranged furrows. We plant the vegetables at the crest of the furrows and the water stays longer at the dips in the furrows. We only have a .20 acre yard and our plot for vegetables was 10'x20'. It was easily a 1 day project. Are you going to start summer veggies now? You better get started quickly. But you may still have time for colder season varieties for the fall. Here is a larger scale version of what we did.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:44 PM

306 posts, read 883,304 times
I know this is an old post, but you can also do a Lasagna Garden. Google it for more info and you'll find detailed instructions. It's super easy and gets better as the months and years go on. It requires no tilling and you can turn it into a raised bed if and when you want to. I started one lasagna garden this year that I put pumpkin plants into right away. They did so well that I now have a bunch of big orange pumpkins... only problem is that it's July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary