Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 06:06 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,589 times

Advertisements

I am from Oklahoma & am looking @ relocating to NC soon (hopefully) for graduate school but I'd like to know why Durham is called the city of medicine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 07:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
From the Durham City website:

With the birth of the Research Triangle Park (RTP) in the 1950s, Durham began to take on a new look that has evolved into a global center for information technology, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, and medicine. The City of Durham is known as the "City of Medicine," with healthcare as a major industry including more than 300 medical and health-related companies and medical practices with a combined payroll exceeding $1.5 billion annually.

Durham, NC - City of Medicine

Old 04-24-2009, 07:11 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
Durham, NC | Media | Evergreens/Backgrounders | Durham | Durham, NC (http://www.durham-nc.com/media/evergreens-backgrounders/durham/city_of_medicine.php - broken link)

Old 04-24-2009, 09:51 PM

387 posts, read 1,028,031 times
I think it is a silly nickname and very presumptuous!

If you ever drive to Atlanta on Interstate 85, you may notice two large water towers in Gwinnett County that proudly announce "Gwinnett is Great -- Success Lives Here!"

Ahh, here they are
... are those water towers?

Anyway, this strikes me as quite presumptuous/ridiculous. I never knew that Success had a home. And frankly I was quite surprised to learn that Success' home is in suburban Atlanta.

I guess if your job is to oversee the achievements of billions of human beings all over the globe, a McMansion on a cul-de-sac could be a soothing environment to base your operations. Or maybe it's just that Sucess lives there for the good schools.

Last edited by Nelson919; 04-24-2009 at 10:00 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 08:26 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson919 View Post
I think it is a silly nickname and very presumptuous!

Kind of like "The Technology Town of North Carolina" is presumptuous.

Town of Cary : Homepage++++

Old 04-25-2009, 09:49 AM

387 posts, read 1,028,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Kind of like "The Technology Town of North Carolina" is presumptuous.

Town of Cary : Homepage++++
Yes, that is quite ridiculous!

Old 04-25-2009, 07:01 PM

345 posts, read 1,059,955 times
Everyone knows that Cary is the gourd capital of the world. C'mon now!!

Old 04-26-2009, 10:12 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
I am from Oklahoma & am looking @ relocating to NC soon (hopefully) for graduate school but I'd like to know why Durham is called the city of medicine?
Hi, Chanteuse! Where are you from in Oklahoma?

It's interesting to read the quote CHTransplant posted from the Durham City website. I always assumed Durham was called the City of Medicine because it's the home of Duke University which has a highly respected medical school & affiliated hospital. I've heard that people travel from all over the world in order to seek care from the experts at Duke.

As others have noted, most cities have silly little nick names that have been created by their PR departments. I know that both Cincinnati and Atlanta refer to themselves as "The Queen City", but I don't understand why they could both deserve that moniker. Raleigh calls itself "The City of Oaks" but I always felt that there were more pine trees than oak trees around here.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:37 AM

646 posts, read 2,049,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Hi, Chanteuse! Where are you from in Oklahoma?

It's interesting to read the quote CHTransplant posted from the Durham City website. I always assumed Durham was called the City of Medicine because it's the home of Duke University which has a highly respected medical school & affiliated hospital. I've heard that people travel from all over the world in order to seek care from the experts at Duke.

As others have noted, most cities have silly little nick names that have been created by their PR departments. I know that both Cincinnati and Atlanta refer to themselves as "The Queen City", but I don't understand why they could both deserve that moniker. Raleigh calls itself "The City of Oaks" but I always felt that there were more pine trees than oak trees around here.
I have never heard of Atlanta being using the nickname of The Queen City.

Charlotte, NC was named after Queen Charlotte of Mecklenburg - you could say it should be 'The Queen's City'.

Cincinnati's use of the term sort of has an NC connection as well. It comes from a poem "Catawba Wine" by Longfellow who called Cincinnati
the Western Queen City. (The Catawba Tribe from NC was moved from NC into Ohio as the country grew, first in southern Ohio, and then up to the islands of Lake Erie. - how do I know that? LOL.....I grew up on Catawba Island, Ohio.....where the same Catawba wine grapes from NC are still grown.)

Raleigh got the name 'city of oaks' right from the start. Raleigh was created as the state capital (there wasn't a town called Raleigh before the state legislature decided to build it specifically as the state capital). And while we do have plenty of pine trees, downtown Raleigh (the original town was bordered by streets still in existence, North, East, West and South) does have plenty of Oak trees yet.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:09 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
How about "The City of Very Tall Pine Trees" b/c the trees appear to reach endlessly towards the sky! Any city in NC can use that by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary