Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:25 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Nope. It will be in the Woodcroft Shopping Center betwee the Benjamin Moore store and Pulcinella's. I don't know when it's supposed to open, but they've had a "coming soon" sign up for a while now.
sounds like they are taking the old 'Buford's Grill' spot. i was sad to see that close, but if it means an awesome taco shop in my backyard i'll get over it!

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 09:15 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Nope. It will be in the Woodcroft Shopping Center betwee the Benjamin Moore store and Pulcinella's. I don't know when it's supposed to open, but they've had a "coming soon" sign up for a while now.
Oh happy dance!!! Thanks for letting us know!!! Who ever sees the open sign first please post to let us know. I can't wait to try it!!!

Old 08-25-2009, 01:43 PM

72 posts, read 212,569 times
yay!! I love chubby's tacos, yay for fish tacos!! they have some good ones. I have been to the 9th street and Lake Boone one, can someone tell me what address (cross streets) the woodcroft shopping center is at? I live in morrisville so that might be closer! Thanks!!!

Old 08-25-2009, 01:57 PM

corner of Woodcroft Parkway and Hope Valley Road (aka 751).

so, with a screen name of 'socalkitti', i'm gonna guess you know what a REAL fish taco is supposed to taste like. the fact that you're excited has me stoked (used to live in SD). how does the rest of their stuff compare to SoCal mexican? would you say their fish tacos are better than, say, Rubio's?

Mike

Old 08-25-2009, 02:06 PM

72 posts, read 212,569 times
haha, Hi Mike...

I went to San Diego a couple weeks ago for the first time in a few years, and I definitely had fish taco's everyday lol. I have to say I do love me some Rubio's fish burritos with a passion, and el torito, and in and out. I grew up in the OC, Irvine/Newport, but I went to school at UCSD and we had rubio's on campus. I've been seeking out fish tacos here and here's the report:

Ben's Place (Behind Car Max) $8 for 2 large mahi mahi fish tacos and a side, done well

North Bistro (Durant & Falls of Neuse) $8-10 2 fish tacos with basil sauce and rice, real good, small little seafood place owned by ex-californians. Not 5 star restaurant, but good for the price

Chubby's - casual, good salsas! i had their Ahi Tuna ($4/taco) and Tilapia ($3/taco) and both were very good, but more on the spicy side, there are some intense jalepeno's in there I haven't tried anything else in there, it's kinda a la carte, but all my friends here like it too.

FYI - I am not affiliated with any of these places, I just know how bad i like fish tacos

Old 08-25-2009, 03:33 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,315 times
Now they need to open up a Raleigh location!!!

Old 08-25-2009, 04:51 PM

129 posts, read 336,437 times
My boyfriend loooves fish tacos and he says the best he has had since California is at La Rancherita in Apex.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:32 PM

just had to bump this since it's been on my mind for a few days.....

i was reading an article in the local Woodcroft newspaper (newsletter) that said the owner of Bandito's in the Woodcroft Shopping Plaza is the same guy who owned Buford's. Basically business wasn't going well and the new Char-Grill across the street sealed the deal. He still owns the spot and is basically opening the Chubby's as a franchise. i think it's kinda interesting for a plaza to have both a sit-down mexican restaurant AND a taco stand (not to mention the new Taco Bell behind the plaza), especially when they're owned by the same guy. still, if the food is half as good as all the reviews i have read, it should be a hit.

i don't think i've ever been more stoked for a restaurant (of all things) to open. the one small thing i do miss about SoCal is a decent taco stand in my backyard. if Chubby's is them, i'm in heaven!

Mike

Old 09-03-2009, 01:02 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
just had to bump this since it's been on my mind for a few days.....

i was reading an article in the local Woodcroft newspaper (newsletter) that said the owner of Bandito's in the Woodcroft Shopping Plaza is the same guy who owned Buford's. Basically business wasn't going well and the new Char-Grill across the street sealed the deal. He still owns the spot and is basically opening the Chubby's as a franchise. i think it's kinda interesting for a plaza to have both a sit-down mexican restaurant AND a taco stand (not to mention the new Taco Bell behind the plaza), especially when they're owned by the same guy. still, if the food is half as good as all the reviews i have read, it should be a hit.

i don't think i've ever been more stoked for a restaurant (of all things) to open. the one small thing i do miss about SoCal is a decent taco stand in my backyard. if Chubby's is them, i'm in heaven!

Mike
I thought it was funny that Chubby's, Cosmic, and Blue Corn are all on 9th St. Although it's a small street, I guess the fact that it's 9th St. and all of them are a bit different it works out. Maybe they are hoping for the same.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:14 PM

725 posts, read 1,499,926 times
I've been to the Chubbys on Lake Boon a few times and it is excellent. I hope they tackle the ordering system though. The lunch rush is always out the door - I spend more time in line than waiting for them to cook the food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary