U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 09:14 PM

769 posts, read 2,523,172 times
Default Closest beach to Raleigh

Can anyone tell me what the closest beach is to Raleigh. I would like one that you are allowed to swim and sun bathe I did a yahoo map and Nags Head was further then Myrtle? Hmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 09:18 PM

3,124 posts, read 8,550,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
Can anyone tell me what the closest beach is to Raleigh. I would like one that you are allowed to swim and sun bathe I did a yahoo map and Nags Head was further then Myrtle? Hmmm
Ah....which ones can't you swim and sunbath on? Try the Crystal Coast or Wrightsville Beach.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:38 PM

Sorry I am a northerner, and there are a great deal of beaches you can not sunbathe or swim at. That is why I stressed that part

Old 04-03-2007, 09:47 PM

3,124 posts, read 8,550,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
Sorry I am a northerner, and there are a great deal of beaches you can not sunbathe or swim at. That is why I stressed that part
I guess it depends on what part of the Northern States you are from as well.

However, the coastline in NC is a tad different. Will you be doing it as a day trip or getting a beach house or hotel? Do you want want tons of nightlife/activity or a more laid back experience?

Old 04-03-2007, 09:56 PM

55 posts, read 92,178 times
Default Bogue Banks

From my front door in Five Points to my home in Atlantic Beach is 2 hours 40 minutes. Take the 64 bypass to wilson and then take 58 to 258 which will put you on highway 70 in kinston(avoiding the sprawl and traffic in Clayton). The Crystal Coast is 22 miles of beautiful southern facing beaches. No high rises. Very few goony golfs and no wax museums. The best sport fishing on the east coast north of Fla. The gulf stream is only 45 miles off shore. The largest Blue Marlin event in the WORLD(The Big Rock) is held here every year. Check out Beaufort, Swansboro, The Aquarium, Fort Macon, Shackleford Banks, Cape Lookout, Harkers Island, Down East, The Morehead Waterfront etc. An unknown treasure.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:11 PM

I am looking for a beach to be able to go to during the day with my children. Eventually I would like to own a beach home in either NC or SC

Old 04-04-2007, 04:59 AM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 788,746 times
Take I-40 east out of Raleigh until it ends, and you're in Wilmington in about 2 hours, with all of the beaches in that area where you can swim and sunbathe.

Outer Banks are almost 4 hrs (?) due east. Myrtle is +3 hrs, and just south of Myrtle is the wonderful Pawley's Island / Litchfield / Murrell's Inlet area.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:11 AM

1,527 posts, read 3,276,795 times
The north end of wrightsville beach is great for kids. They've done alot of beach renourishment up there, so it is very flat going out into the water, and at low tide lots of wading pools form. Tons of real estate to run around on, but not alot of people. Also alot of good wading spots in the sound behind the Shell island resort if the ocean is a bit too rough for kids.

It is a 2 hour drive from chapel hill. There are two parking lots up there, if you are an early riser (there by 9) you'll easily find a spot. You have to wait for a spot to open up if you get there later than that.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:30 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,694,209 times
We like to go to Topsail. They allow dogs there also, if anyone is interested in bringing Fido (or avoiding Fido!).

Old 04-04-2007, 09:17 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,550,967 times
Wrightsville is going to be the closest beach, and it has some nice shops, etc. Also, the town of Wilmington is only a hop skip and a jump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary