Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:19 PM

330 posts, read 984,958 times

Advertisements

It's in an old Pizza Hut but don't let that turn you off. It's not in Cary's "ritsy" area but don't let that keep you away.

We dined at Unaabi Gill for the first time tonight. It won't be our last.

We've traveled the world and have eaten and many different ethnic restaurants but had never eaten Afghan food. We really didn't know what to expect.

Going by the menu and the items that we ordered, I'd say that it has a lot of similarities to Indian, Middle Eastern and Moroccan cuisine.

We ordered Aushak as an appetizer. They are dumplings filled with scallions, herbs and spices, and topped with the tastiest minted yoghurt sauce. The sauce was so divine I asked the waiter for some bread to dip in it so we wouldn't waste any. The waiter said that they make their own yoghurt and everything is made from scratch. All their produce is organic.

I ordered the Chicken Kabuli and it was a heaping dish of chicken with rice with thin strips of carrots, raisins and almonds. It was such a big portion I took about 1/3 of it home.

My wife got the Lamb Korma. It was so tender the lambs was falling apart. Her dish was very savory but not quite as large as mine (it was less expensive).

The entrees are a little on the pricier side but they do come with salads and as I mentioned, everything is made fresh from organic ingredients so you should expect to pay more. Our entrees were $14 and $17.

I also tried the "Dough Yoghurt" - a drink made with their homemade minted yoghurt. You can get it sweet or salty. I got it sweet. Surprisingly tasty and refreshing.

I hope those who enjoy ethnic cuisines will try out Unaabi Grill. I'd love to see a place like this succeed. There are so many other dishes I want to try out...

Apparently it is the first Afghan restaurant in North Carolina.

Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 08:22 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,405 times
It's great to see Cary getting a wider range of places to eat. I for one, am sick of the chain type places and crave some good local mom and pop shop types. I'll give it a try for sure.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:52 PM

792 posts, read 4,488,436 times
I live close to this place but I haven't tried it yet, because the menu seems too pricey, and I haven't wanted to risk $40 on a bad meal for 2. But based on this recommendation I'll probably try it. Thanks for posting it.

Home

Old 05-01-2009, 09:10 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,054 times
It sounds delicious! Just one question - is it spicey, mild, or savory?

Old 05-01-2009, 09:29 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
Sounds awesome.. I'm going to hit it up for lunch this weekend!

Old 05-02-2009, 05:29 AM

330 posts, read 984,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
It sounds delicious! Just one question - is it spicey, mild, or savory?

What we had was very savory, but not spicy. The waiter did not indicate that any of the dishes were hot (like in some Indian food) so I am guessing there aren't many spicy dishes there. I did see at one of the table they brought out a trio of sauces for their dish. One of those could have been spicy for those who enjoy that kick.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:34 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
It's great to see Cary getting a wider range of places to eat. I for one, am sick of the chain type places and crave some good local mom and pop shop types. I'll give it a try for sure.

Cary has lots of chains and non chains, just like Durham & Raleigh have chains and non chains. It's amazing how often people think Cary has only chains.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:57 PM

39 posts, read 139,191 times
We have been to Unaabi Grill three times now. The food is really very tasty. We have tried quite a few dishes from the menu and all have always been very good. The food is not spicy or hot but very tasty. Their youghurt sauce is divine and the red and green suaces they bring to the table are really good too. They have a lot of vegeterian options as well. The cusine is close to Indian and Middle Eastern food.
The food is prepared fresh. The owner is very friendly and even offered us Green Tea each time. The tea was very refreshing. Their desserts are good too.
The location is not the best and the prices are bit on the higher side considering its not a downtown type of resturant, but the food and service makes up for it.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:05 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
I've gotta try this place too!

Old 06-15-2009, 07:44 AM

250 posts, read 1,245,919 times
My husband loves this place and goes there frequently for lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary