Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 02:17 AM

130 posts, read 390,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
And you know what all 5,000 students are doing for the summer? Do tell or is it all hyperbole... once again?

oh the joys of angst ridden youth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 08:36 AM

148 posts, read 676,568 times
North Carolina has an almost 11% unemployment rate and the farmers are worried about being able to find labor to plant and harvest their crops....very sad indeed!

Farmers need to partner with unemployment offices - if someone capable of working the fields turns down work, then do not pay them unemployment...kill two birds with one stone(help farmers and reduce unemployment)...........

Old 05-03-2009, 10:46 AM

130 posts, read 390,540 times
I grew up bailing hay in the summers. Trust me, it puts the "W" in work. I got a cousin that walked into his towns big pay to use gym and made the announcement that he had about 1000 acres to bail and he was paying $15 an hour and he promissed they would feel the burn. He got no takers. He couldn't understand why city folks would pay to lift things when he was willing to pay them to do it. I told him he should have charged them to come out and make hay and call it a "dude ranch".

Last edited by 2BZee2Pee; 05-03-2009 at 10:55 AM..

Old 05-03-2009, 01:41 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,292,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BZee2Pee View Post
I grew up bailing hay in the summers. Trust me, it puts the "W" in work. I got a cousin that walked into his towns big pay to use gym and made the announcement that he had about 1000 acres to bail and he was paying $15 an hour and he promissed they would feel the burn. He got no takers. He couldn't understand why city folks would pay to lift things when he was willing to pay them to do it. I told him he should have charged them to come out and make hay and call it a "dude ranch".
Is your cousin still hiring? I'll do it!

Old 05-03-2009, 04:49 PM

519 posts, read 981,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
King- Yes it would. But we are supposed to be a nation of laws.We should enforce them. Our open borders policy is an insult to all of the immigrants that bide their time and gain US citizenship the lawful way. These folks assimilate and learn our language. Unlawful hispanic folks are great super hard working people. But the ones that are here illegally should be deported. The liberal activist that crusade for these unlawful illegal aliens have no authority and also have no regard for the law. Why have laws if we don't enforce them?
I am not disagreeing with you about being a nation of laws.

I was making a point that if companies use American workers, wages will go up. Therefore, prices will go up to cover those costs. This is not a bad thing.

What is a bad thing is when consumers chose price over quality, whether it is food, automobiles, or clothing. I remember a time when Wal-Mart touted having products that are Made in the USA. They are now the largest importer of Chinese products in this country.

I apologize for getting off on a tangent. I am all for more products made in this country. I work for a company that produces many products in this country. Unfortunately, many consumers don't realize that there will be higher prices on products because those companies have to pay an American worker more. Case in point: the company I work for sells suits starting at $598. The suits go up to $2400. They are all made in the USA. I cannot tell you how many people say any of those prices are too much and would rather go somewhere else that sells suits for $200. Where do you think those suits are made? Definitely not in this country.

Last edited by kingyouth; 05-03-2009 at 04:58 PM..

Old 05-03-2009, 04:50 PM

519 posts, read 981,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BZee2Pee View Post
oh the joys of angst ridden youth
I have no angst. Never have. Never will.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:07 AM

413 posts, read 1,254,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Prisoners could do the work and make a few bucks to use after release.
What a novel idea?! They'd even learn something useful perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary