U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 01:45 PM

607 posts, read 1,719,042 times

Advertisements

Hi guys;
I was looking at Raleigh weather, like I do everyday, and I see you guys are having storms???? Is that so??? That is one of the things I most look forward to, is the storms you get. I love thunder and lightening, and living in CA my entire life, that is few and far between.

Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 01:51 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,410,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
Hi guys;
I was looking at Raleigh weather, like I do everyday, and I see you guys are having storms???? Is that so??? That is one of the things I most look forward to, is the storms you get. I love thunder and lightening, and living in CA my entire life, that is few and far between.

Liz
Relatively few -- though my point of comparison is Central Florida, which literally is reputed to be the Lightning Capital of the World. Perhaps once every couple of weeks... at most?... during the summers.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:27 PM

4,609 posts, read 5,232,977 times
No storms-yet. Sure could use the rain. The wind is picking up a bit. slightly overcast....and gorgeous warm temperatures.

We do get some cracker of storms. And you will know when those are coming as the winds really pick up. Sometimes you do not get too much notice. And ya better turn the porch rockers over and batten down the hatches. And then you monitor the weather and hope nobody says tornado warning.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:18 PM

607 posts, read 1,719,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
No storms-yet. Sure could use the rain. The wind is picking up a bit. slightly overcast....and gorgeous warm temperatures.

We do get some cracker of storms. And you will know when those are coming as the winds really pick up. Sometimes you do not get too much notice. And ya better turn the porch rockers over and batten down the hatches. And then you monitor the weather and hope nobody says tornado warning.
That doesn't scare me, in invigorates me. I cannot wait. I will be calling everyone during my first storm!!! I will probably want to run around the backyard during the entire thing!!

Old 04-04-2007, 04:32 PM

3,124 posts, read 8,920,961 times
Quote:
Hi guys;

Liz
There has been one decent thunder storm in my area in the past three and a half years...I miss them to be hoenst.

You may have more then you are used into CA, but don't expect that big a change.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:08 PM

3,566 posts, read 9,441,164 times
Quote:
....I will probably want to run around the backyard during the entire thing!!
You probably don't want to do that NC ranks either 1st or 2nd in number of people v. lightening strikes.......

Old 04-04-2007, 07:25 PM

306 posts, read 833,985 times
Default Look..

this site is sooo cool and has a map of lightning strikes

http://www.intellicast.com/IcastPage...g&prodnav=none

and maps and top ten states of fatalities from lightning ( and yes NC is #2)

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mlb/ltgcenter/ltg_proj_ltg_stats.html#Top%2010%20States%20with%2 0most (broken link)

Vveerryy iinntteerreessttiinngg,

Char

Old 04-04-2007, 07:31 PM

4,609 posts, read 5,232,977 times
grounding Lizard Lips.. we don't want to lose ya!

Old 04-04-2007, 07:35 PM

3,124 posts, read 8,920,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
You probably don't want to do that NC ranks either 1st or 2nd in number of people v. lightening strikes.......
I wonder where all those deaths are happening...something tells me it isn't the Triangle area. NC is a big state...what goes for the Mountains or the Coastal Plains isn't going to always apply in the Peidmont.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:34 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,063,813 times
We had a nice one last night you would have enjoyed! According to weather.com it hit sanford and Holly Springs. Our friends in Cary said it missed them. But we had a very noisy hour with some nice bright skies. It makes me not want to put window coverings on my windows! Of course if I did that my neighbors would die of shock!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary