Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 06:57 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,384,360 times

Advertisements

When you were getting rid of stuff to move did you just throw everything out or did you try to donate or sell stuff? I have been trying to find good homes for stuff but it's very time consuming. Would it be terrible of me to throw out old toys etc. Does Goodwill take toys? We don't have a Goodwill in my town but I'm sure there must be one somewhere. It breaks my heart to have to throw the stuff out but I need to make some progress as my husband is getting frustrated with the lack of progress down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 07:02 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
Goodwill takes stuff, in Ny vietnam vets came aroudn with a truck & picked stuff out. Also if you leave stuff on the street often people will take it, especially if you post on Craig's List.
Do a garage sale, too, for stuff that is "worth something" but is a bothe rto move.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:04 PM

359 posts, read 1,838,035 times
We donated what was in decent condition and through out the stuff that was truly trash. There is a Goodwill in my town and other charities that accept used goods. Some will even come pick it up. All you have to do is place it at the curb. I think the DAV (Disabled American Veterans) does that. you can probably google them.

I know what you mean about feeling guilty though. The whole experience has taught me what wasteful consumers we (my family) are, and that we don't really need 75% of the stuff we've got.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:09 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdatlas View Post
When you were getting rid of stuff to move did you just throw everything out or did you try to donate or sell stuff? I have been trying to find good homes for stuff but it's very time consuming. Would it be terrible of me to throw out old toys etc. Does Goodwill take toys? We don't have a Goodwill in my town but I'm sure there must be one somewhere. It breaks my heart to have to throw the stuff out but I need to make some progress as my husband is getting frustrated with the lack of progress down there.
When I was finalizing my move down here, I had 2 garage sales, utilized craigslist to sell many items, such as furniture, appliances, the rest I donated to Salvation Army. I really did not want to throw away anything that could be useful to someone. Craigslist is awesome! You will be able to sell most of your stuff on there, just post a picture with your ad...it's amazing how fast I sold stuff...

Old 04-04-2007, 07:27 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,149 times
I donated a lot to Goodwill, and to a big dumpster-type thing which was for donations to benefit something...I can't even remember what, but I'm pretty sure it was something respectable . I'm not sure what I'd have done w/o that dumpster--I frequented it often!

I did not try to sell anything on Craigs List or at a garage sale...I honestly didn't want to spend the time doing that. Also, I didn't particularly want strangers coming over...

Oh, but I did also go to a Children's Orchard store in my area (no idea if there is one in yours, but perhaps something similar?). They sell used children's clothing and toys and they bought all the "good" things off me (I took over the nicer things I had which the kids had outgrown--Baby Bjorn, things like that). They didn't pay much, but it was something and again--a very low hassle factor!

Old 04-05-2007, 07:21 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
We listed on the free section of Craig's List. We just said come and get it, and I was amazed at how quickly people came and took away our junk! Moving heavy furniture down steps, taking away an old rusty wheelbarrow with a flat tire, all kinds of junk. There is Freecycle too, but we found Craig's List to be quicker and easier.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:27 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,493,390 times
We had a huge problem with overflowing books. I didn't want to throw away our books, and we weren't permitted to have a yard sale in our old condo community. So, I donated a whole bunch of books to the public library. You might consider this option - especially if you are able to get a tax deduction (check with your accountant on this though).

Old 04-05-2007, 03:19 PM

214 posts, read 701,708 times
We did not do any yard sales. There just wasn't any time. We donated a ton to St Vincent DePaul- there was a drop area close to us. There have been changes in the tax laws for donations so I would suggest possibly taking photos of what you donate to back up your deductions. We also put a lot of stuff out front of our house which went very quickly despite not being on a main road. We had a problem getting rid of the hazardous stuff that the trash people wouldn't take and the movers wouldn't move. Half of it is in my sisters basement now.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:31 PM

177 posts, read 847,366 times
The sweetie and I were able to donate everything to a church-sponsored thrift shoppe with the exception of our collection of miscellaneous computer parts. 'Still trying to figure out how to offload those without paying the recycling fees.

eileen

Old 04-05-2007, 07:03 PM

959 posts, read 4,492,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmatl View Post
The sweetie and I were able to donate everything to a church-sponsored thrift shoppe with the exception of our collection of miscellaneous computer parts. 'Still trying to figure out how to offload those without paying the recycling fees.

eileen
Try Freecycle.org They're a nationwide organization where you send out an email to the group announcing what you're giving away, then send your address to the person you pick, and they come get it off your porch. There's always someone out there that loves tinkering with old computer bits and pieces
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary