U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-07-2009, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns of NC
5,658 posts, read 17,676,640 times
Reputation: 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdadytid View Post
just use a silencer
Apparently, sound suppressors are prohibited under North Carolina General Statute 14-288.8.

 
Old 05-07-2009, 02:51 PM
 
207 posts, read 395,622 times
Reputation: 170
What color is the gun? Is it beige or taupe?
 
Old 08-10-2009, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
538 posts, read 627,212 times
Reputation: 505
It seems to me a shovel or a mongoose would be more appropriate in dealing with a snake.
 
Old 08-10-2009, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Raleigh
355 posts, read 572,651 times
Reputation: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky .357 View Post
See attached image; I bought about 2000 rounds of these when I saw them on sale. They're super quiet, and without a silencer. In fact, a friend uses them to shoot squirrels off his feeder in town without bothering the neighbors.

Head shots are a must, or things can get a little messy.

Here's a video of Colibris fired after conventional .22 LR Hi-Vel ammo...

(Why does embedded video always get screwy?)
Shooting squirrels off a feeder in town? Wow, I think I've just become an advocate for gun control.

Since you and "your friend" haven't been able to connect the dots, the bullets do have to come down somewhere. And when they do, "your friend" will make it much harder for responsible gun owners.

Last edited by Clever User Name; 08-10-2009 at 09:29 PM..
 
Old 08-11-2009, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Minnesota, south of the metro
113 posts, read 50,978 times
Reputation: 57
Considering the fact that they only have a muzzle velocity of 500 fps, and energy of 11 ft/lbs, and the fact that due to muzzle drop they don't make much past the end of the yard, there's not much of a hazard to the neighbors. At longer ranges I've seen them bounce off plywood.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-13-2009 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: Not necessary -- thanks.
 
Old 08-11-2009, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
538 posts, read 627,212 times
Reputation: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky .357 View Post
Considering the fact that they only have a muzzle velocity of 500 fps, and energy of 11 ft/lbs, and the fact that due to muzzle drop they don't make much past the end of the yard, there's not much of a hazard to the neighbors. At longer ranges I've seen them bounce off plywood.
My comment about the shovel and the mongoose was meant as humor.

But the following comment is not.

I get that and I am all for the right to have a gun on your property (I am married to a hunter, so don't get you underwear all bunched up). But seriously dude, what you are suggesting is not a smart thing to do. If you want to shoot pests or critters, get a hunting license and go out in the woods.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-13-2009 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text
 
Old 08-11-2009, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Minnesota, south of the metro
113 posts, read 50,978 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky Prof View Post
My comment about the shovel and the mongoose was meant as humor.

But the following comment is not.

I get that and I am all for the right to have a gun on your property (I am married to a hunter, so don't get you underwear all bunched up). But seriously dude, what you are suggesting is not a smart thing to do. If you want to shoot pests or critters, get a hunting license and go out in the woods.
First of all, it wasn't me, it was a friend of mine shooting the squirrels off the feeder. Second of all, the squirrels weren't destroying his bird feeder in the woods, they were destroying the feeder in the backyard of his home in town.
 
Old 08-12-2009, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Raleigh
355 posts, read 572,651 times
Reputation: 464
Indeed. I can't make it think about how the scene you described will look to the neighbors. I can't make it think how they might feel, seeing someone waving a gun around if their kids are out playing in the yard. I can't make him think that others may not realize that the gun is loaded with a less lethal bullet or shot. I can't make it think that the reported ballistics may not be as advertised. I can't make it think that 500 fps, while slow for a bullet will still travel at 500 fps, which gets it well beyond the yards here in Raleigh (speaking of, what's a fellow from Minnesota doing on this board for this lone topic? trolling for any reference to guns to spam his bullets maybe?). I can't make it think that there are squirrel proof feeders out there. I can't make it think that, if he feels the need to take use a gun in town for something as trivial as squirrels, he's probably got too much time on his hands. I can't make him think that guns are not toys and should be respected. Even in my podunk inbred hillbilly grit town, we were taught from an early age not only how to use firearms, but also to respect them and what they do. And that means that you don't take chances, regardless of how small, around other people, especially for something as insignificant as dealing with some squirrels in your yard. Guess it works differently in Minnesota...or maybe your yards in town are just a whole heck of a lot lot bigger.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-13-2009 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Edited out quoted text as cited post deleted
 
Old 08-12-2009, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
538 posts, read 627,212 times
Reputation: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever User Name View Post
Indeed. I can't make it think about how the scene you described will look to the neighbors. I can't make it think how they might feel, seeing someone waving a gun around if their kids are out playing in the yard. I can't make him think that others may not realize that the gun is loaded with a less lethal bullet or shot. I can't make it think that the reported ballistics may not be as advertised. I can't make it think that 500 fps, while slow for a bullet will still travel at 500 fps, which gets it well beyond the yards here in Raleigh (speaking of, what's a fellow from Minnesota doing on this board for this lone topic? trolling for any reference to guns to spam his bullets maybe?). I can't make it think that there are squirrel proof feeders out there. I can't make it think that, if he feels the need to take use a gun in town for something as trivial as squirrels, he's probably got too much time on his hands. I can't make him think that guns are not toys and should be respected. Even in my podunk inbred hillbilly grit town, we were taught from an early age not only how to use firearms, but also to respect them and what they do. And that means that you don't take chances, regardless of how small, around other people, especially for something as insignificant as dealing with some squirrels in your yard. Guess it works differently in Minnesota...or maybe your yards in town are just a whole heck of a lot lot bigger.
Well said.
 
Old 08-13-2009, 07:43 PM
 
11,151 posts, read 9,146,565 times
Reputation: 18524
Any posts within this thread that center on gun control (for or against) will be deleted, as that's NOT the topic. If you'd like to discuss gun control, please feel free to do so -- IN A DIFFERENT FORUM. I'll suggest Politics and Other Controversies or Great Debates.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top