U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 10:12 AM

149 posts, read 499,406 times
Default Giving dog vaccinations at home

Can anyone give me any advice on giving my dog her vaccinations?
I have 3 dogs and can no longer afford the vet for this service.
I have heard its simple and safe.
Can anyone tell me of their experiences good or bad. With cats or dogs?

Thanks

Old 05-05-2009, 10:16 AM

6,300 posts, read 10,001,285 times
What sort of vaccinations, I don't think you can do rabies shots at home.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:24 AM

149 posts, read 499,406 times
Right, I know I cannot do the rabies. I am talking about the basic vacs that they need. Parvo,distemper and so forth

Thanks

Old 05-05-2009, 10:35 AM

93 posts, read 401,623 times
We always do our own. We get them at the farm supply store, they keep them in a little refrigerator with the pet food.
You just pinch the skin on top of the neck, and shoot it in. Takes only a second and is very simple to do. I would have someone who knows what they're doing show you though the first time.
It is sooo much cheaper than going to the vet every time!

Old 05-05-2009, 11:00 AM

4,406 posts, read 7,135,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytrish View Post
We always do our own. We get them at the farm supply store, they keep them in a little refrigerator with the pet food.
You just pinch the skin on top of the neck, and shoot it in. Takes only a second and is very simple to do. I would have someone who knows what they're doing show you though the first time.
It is sooo much cheaper than going to the vet every time!
Thanks for that info...
We have a puppy that needs shots.
Do you have to go by weight??
Which farm supply has these??

Old 05-05-2009, 11:59 AM

47 posts, read 102,929 times
When giving vaccines, be sure you understand which vaccines you need, how often to booster, and why. I personally do Distemper, Parvo, Parainfluenza, and Hepatitis/Adenovirus2. I do not do Leptospirosis nor Coronavirus; which you typically find in the farm/feed store combo vaccines. Almost all farm/feed stores sell vaccines, just call your local one and ask them if they have it.

Also, for puppies, be sure you know the schedule for boosters so you ensure your puppy is properly protected. Puppy vaccines are very important and while the vet can be pricey, treating parvo or losing a pet to a preventable disease is exponentially worse.

When you go to buy your vaccines, you can ask the staff to show you how to give the vaccine. Make absolutely sure that you keep the vaccine refrigerated until you are ready to give it and that you use a sterile needle / syringe (the farm store should sell these too).

For low cost rabies vaccination, I have a blog with several clinics listed all over the triangle throughout the summer where you can get a rabies vaccine for $5-$10 with no other charges. Some clinics are also offering microchips at the same time. Triangle Pet Supply

Old 05-05-2009, 12:05 PM

930 posts, read 1,739,679 times
My husband does ours. I think he gets them from Carolina Pet Supply in Garner, off of 70. There are usually lots of rabies clinics where you can get shots for $5 this time of year.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:21 PM

47 posts, read 102,929 times
Kelly, to answer your question, vaccines are not done by weight. All puppies/dogs get the same amount.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:05 PM

93 posts, read 401,623 times
We go to Tractor Supply, they carry them. I *think* there is a separate puppy shot that has one more vaccine in it, but I could be wrong. Every time we go I just tell them a need a puppy or adult dog shot, whichever is the case, and they get me what I need. The ones we buy come with the syringe so you don't have to buy that separately. And yes, they do need to be refrigerated until used.
Like someone said earlier, I'm sure they would be happy to demonstrate how to administer the shot. It's very easy!
Costs about $6 per shot.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:07 PM

214 posts, read 612,411 times
As far as purchasing HW pills, I know I am always looking for ways to save money with my crew of 7, but HW medication is one of the few things I will and do purchase from my vet. I do this because most of the companies who provide HW medications will not cover medical costs if in fact your dog gets HW while on the pills, if you did not purchase the pills from a veterinarian.

I know I didn't used to know that, so I just wanted to share that little bit of information

Last edited by mm34b; 05-05-2009 at 03:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary